X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the citizens of the USA

A message from John Cleese...

To the citizens of The United States of America:

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you actually noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect.

You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford "English" Dictionary.

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour', 'favour' and 'neighbour'. Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise'.

Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS US ENGLISH.

We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of ?ize.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent.

Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect.

At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.

Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

8. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

9. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with ketchup but with vinegar.

10. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. Australian beer is also acceptable as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting Nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of British Commonwealth - see what it did for them.

American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

11. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

12. You will cease playing American football.

There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

Don't try Rugby - the Australians and Kiwis will thrash you, like they regularly thrash us.

13. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.

Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

14. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

15. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

16. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God save the Queen.

Boy am I relieved.....It's tea tiime!

Love you Tawn.......come on over since we're "sister" nations...I'll feed you some down home southern soul food! You'll feel better after that.

Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

.....oh, bliss, tea in proper cups with even a saucer....no styrofoam or plastic mug in sight ...... and cucumber sandwiches on a bone china plate.... sharing happy hour with my gentile neighbour.....note the spelling...LOL.
      But I do love my cousins.
      So funny Tawn:h :H :h :H
      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

You lost me at the American Football....WHICH IS THE ONLY REAL FOOTBALL!!! I forsee a Teaparty in your future.........again.

Comment

How funny Hart!!!!!!!! I love "tea parties"! ;>)

Comment

OH MY GOD that is so hilarious!!!!!
            can't wait to be "under" Gordon Brown.:H
            The vegetable peeler part is my favorite.
            Thank you Ms. Frog
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Oh John .....Monty Python...loved "In serch of the Holy Grail". We know our English is rather deversified; then again so is this country. I want to ask you ? What about that English Cockney.....can't make out a word they're saying (?).....We love deversity. IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Love anything by John Cleese and that was no exception. Will be leaving now to go rewatch Fawlty Towers.
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

That was wonderfully funny...
                  Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

The basic description of the English Royals are; bad teeth, not too bright, and marry their cousins...

In America...
                    The basic description of a Redneck is; they have bad teeth, not to bright and they marry their cousins...

Redcoats... Rednecks... somehow it all seems the same... LOL

Comment

Capt......Excuse me ??????

Nancy..."Southernbelle"

Comment

Exactly, Nancy!!!

CaptJB, the Redcoat's family tree's fork, a redneck's doesn't. :H :H

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The Royal tree does not fork.......

Elizabeth II and the Duke are Cousins.... They all are unless they marry a commoner. The last one that did during WWII abdicated... remember... The Duke of Windsor.

Comment

Why am I always right??? LOL

Royalty and nobility
                            The royal and noble families of Europe have close blood ties which are strengthened by royal intermarriage; the most discussed instances of interbreeding relate to European monarchies. Examples abound in every royal family; in particular, the ruling dynasties of Spain and Portugal were in the past very inbred. Several Habsburgs, Bourbons and Wittelsbachs married aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. Even in the British royal family, which is very moderate in comparison, there has scarcely been a monarch in 300 years who has not married a (near or distant) relative. Indeed, Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh are second cousins once removed, both being descended from King Christian IX of Denmark. They are also third cousins as great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. European monarchies did avoid brother-sister marriages, though Jean V of Armagnac was an exception.

It is not necessarily the case that there was a greater amount of inbreeding within royalty than there is in the population as a whole: it may simply be better documented. Among genetic populations that are isolated, opportunities for exogamy are reduced. Isolation may be geographical, leading to inbreeding among peasants in remote mountain valleys. Or isolation may be social, induced by the lack of appropriate partners, such as Protestant princesses for Protestant royal heirs. Since the late Middle Ages, it is the urban middle class that has had the widest opportunity for outbreeding.

It has long been debated on whether inbreeding caused some of the problems among some of the family members of some royal lines, most notably centered around Charles II of Spain, who was mentally handicapped and could not properly chew food. As there was no genetic testing back then, it will remain unclear whether these defects were naturally occurring or were due to the inbreeding.

Other examples of royal family intermarriage include:

Some Peruvian Sapa Incas married their sisters; in such cases we find a special combination between endogamy and polygamy. Normally the son of the old ruler and the ruler's oldest (half-)sister became the new ruler.
                            The Inca had an unwritten rule that the new ruler must be a son of the Inca and his wife and sister. He then had to marry his sister (not half-sister), which ultimately led to the catastrophic Huascars reign, culminating in a civil war and then fall of the empire.

The family-tree of Charles II of Spain shows an extraordinary number of uncle-niece and cousin unions of varying degreesThe House of Habsburg inmarried particularly often. Famous in this case is the Habsburger (Unter) Lippe (Habsburg jaw/Habsburg lip/"Austrian lip"), typical for many Habsburg relatives over a period of six centuries.[15] The condition progressed through the generations to the point that last of the Spanish Habsburgs, Charles II of Spain, could not properly chew his food.[16] (See mandibular prognathism.)
                            Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain and Infanta Isabella of Portugal were first cousins.
                            John, Crown Prince of Portugal and Joan of Habsburg were double first cousins.
                            Mary, Queen of Scots and Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley were half first cousins, and 3rd cousins once removed.
                            King Louis XIV of France and Infanta Maria Theresa of Spain were double first cousins.
                            King William III and Queen Mary II of England were first cousins.
                            King George I of Great Britain and Princess Sophia Dorothea of Celle were paternal first cousins.
                            King Philip V of Spain and Princess Maria Luisa of Savoy were double second cousins.
                            King Gustav III of Sweden and Princess Sophia Magdalena of Denmark were second cousins.
                            King Christian VII of Denmark and Princess Caroline Matilda of Great Britain were first cousins
                            King George IV of the United Kingdom and Princess Caroline of Brunswick were first cousins.
                            William I, German Emperor and Princess Augusta of Saxe-Weimar were second cousins.
                            Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha were first cousins.
                            Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria were first cousins.
                            King George V of the United Kingdom and Princess Mary of Teck were second cousins once removed.
                            Prince Gustav Adolf, Duke of V?sterbotten and Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, parents of the present King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, were second cousins.
                            Prince Nicola Pignatelli (1648?1730) and Princess Giovanna Pignatelli (1666?1723) were half great-granduncle and half great-grandniece, representing a peculiar alliance between two relatives. Nicola was a son of Giulio Pignatelli, Prince of Noia (1587-1658) through his third wife and Giovanna a great-great-granddaughter through his first marriage.
                            A similar alliance was the marriage between Princess Sophie of Sweden and Grand Duke Leopold of Baden, half-brother of her maternal grandfather.
                            Intermarriage in European royal families is no longer practiced as often as in the past. This is likely due to changes in the importance of marriage as a method of forming political alliances through kinship ties between nobility, as well as an awareness of modern medical science. These ties were often sealed only upon the birth of progeny within the arranged marriage. Marriage was seen as a union of lines of nobility, not of a contract between individuals as it is seen today. More marry for "love", best illustrated by the second marriage of Prince Charles of the United Kingdom. During the tumult of the removal, sometimes by revolution, of most lines of nobility from state government, it became less important to marry for the good of the respective monarchies and the states they governed

Comment

The only good looking royals have been Princess Diana and her boys....The rest of the family looks like....well...nuf said!

Personally...my blood is Irish, a little Scottish and American Indian...and None of them were cousins!
                              Quite proud to be a "commoner!"
                              Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X