Alcoholic dementia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcoholic dementia

Louise, I have just read your message re. alcoholic dementia. The person who
    I was referring to had a condition called Korsakoffs syndrome. She had been
    a heavy drinker all her life, and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in her
    early 50s. The condition is caused by a lack of vitamin b1 (thiamin) as you
    probably know heavy drinkers do not absorb vitamins very well, and often
    pay little attention to diet. Like any other dementia this is not reversible. so
    it's pretty scarey stuff. You can get lots of info about this on the net.
    Paula.

Alcoholic dementia

Thanks for posting this

That is pure horror. Is that what they mean when they use the term "wet brain?" Another reason to put this crap down. Such poison. Thanks for the info. I never cared if I killed my liver, but I was always afraid of losing my mind. Despite having some mental problems, I'm not completely gone yet. :nutso: Maybe the fear of this is enough to help some people take that next step. Sure scares the shit out of me.
    where does this go?

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

thats a nother huge reason i went dr s, my memory is shot, i really scare myself, i can t retain information, its like my brain flatlines, i ve never been intlectual but my brain is mush,now i read about korskoffs on net, sounds scarily like me, i worry as i did lots of solvent s an god knows what else b4 i got pregnant, as well as drinking 15 out of 28 yrs, plus drugs that long, it really is a possibility isant it, that has freaked me ,id forgotton id read that, i need 2 write a list of symptoms possibly related to substance abuse an get em all checked out, or i ll forget like last time,
      :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

If your drinking a lot of the time your memory is bound to be affected, but you are young
        enough to prevent this happening to you. It takes years of abuse to get such a terrible
        condition. It could affect you in the future if you don't stop drinking heavily now,with a view to maybe abstinence with professional help.I really didn't want to scare anybody, but it is
        a condition that is becoming more common, and I believe we need all the info we can get
        to fight this awful addiction.

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Paula:

Early on in my quest to stop drinking, I learned about the vitamin B1 thing back in the late 1970's.

I began taking a lot of vitamins even back then, and used brewers yeast and lecithin back during the hard drinking days.

I believe it kept a lot of the damage to my system at bay over the years, so your words are good advice for those struggling to overcome the desire and drive to drink.

Neil

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Tell me more.

Neil,
            I'd like to know about the vitamins and other supplements your were taking. How much did you take and how did they help?

Thanks,
            Aud

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Back then, I read this book called "Mega-Nutrients for your Nerves" and it had a big section on alcoholic damage and what you could do to help yourself. It looks like a few copies are left on Amazon used or new.
              This book started me on the learning path about nutrition for drinking, as it was written by a doctor specializing in these things. I took his recommended doses.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mega-nutrients-nerves-H-L-Newbold/dp/0425065715/ref=sr_1_5/105-3876689-8344459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183428049&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Mega-nutrients/nerves: Books: H. L. Newbold[/ame]

Another classic book I read years later, was called "Life Extension", it came out in 1980 or so I think. Here is the Amazon link.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Durk-Pearson/dp/044651229X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-3876689-8344459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183428223&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Life Extension: Books: Durk Pearson,Sandy Shaw[/ame]

Generally 100 to 200 mg a day of B1. One to two tablespoons of lecithin and/or brewers yeast (YUK!) in V8 veggie juice was the prescription after a binge. I made a post in Long Term called xtexans program that covers the things I have used, or am still using.

This works for me, but everyone is different. I think I saved my liver from a great deal of damage as well by using cysteine, or NAC.

Neil

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

I am a huge proponent of Cysteine as well Neil. It is very detoxifying.
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

My adopted mum has the beginnings of Korsakoffs - uncontrollable hand waving back and forth that's not DTs-it's actually a movement disorder caused by changing neural reactions in the brain - not a good sign.

She's still drinking away.

Oh well....

Cashy
                  xxxx
                  "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Much of the stuff I am reading is indicating that the harm we do to our bodies stops when we stop drinking. Some of it is reversible, some of it just stops. Some of it requires that we quit drinking altogether, forever, and not just moderate. There are so many different schools of thought on this that I think each of us need to talk to our health care providers and possibly share with those here who don't feel comfortable doing so.

I know that for myself at 49, after drinking heavily for 20 years, when I finish all my annual physical exams, if I have not done any permanent, irreversible damage to my body, am not going to push the envelope one more day but instead thank God everyday for the second chance and give back somehow a little everyday whether it be on this site or somewhere else in the community.

Rachel, honey beat this and move on with your life so you don't even need to worry about these things when you are my age. I think you really want to. I hope these horror stories of these illnesses really scare you and the other young people on this site because it's easy to drink away 20 years and then they stare you right in the face.

Yes, that's kind of melodramatic, and no, I'm not drinking and haven't for quite a few days I'm happy to say.

Cashy, sorry about your mum I know that has to be painful for you. I'll say a prayer on her behalf.

Melissa
                    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

I was just at my doctors office a couple weeks ago and he says that everyone that drinks or has ever drank should definately be taking 100mg of thiamin per day. Vit C is also overlooked.
                      regarding brain disorders there is some inspiring work done by Dr Barry Sears (author of the Zone diet) that shows large doses of omega-3 fish oils can actually reverse some of these terrible diseases.
                      yes, the thought of becoming a "wet brain" is absolutely horrific.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Thank you Paula for posting this information. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

oh i got to stop havent i, i been drunk 15 yrs already , in another 20, i wont b here if i carry on, i began really busing my body so young 13, an was drinkin bottles of spirits, i prob was nt even finished growing internally, my step lad wonders why i nag at him, he is drinking beer at weeknds already, cashy ,hello an as regards to your mum, im sorry to hear that, must b hard 4 u, i think i got my determination for bein good today,

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

im going to go get some vitamins 2day, thats the other thing that makes things orse ,poor diet isant it, im setting myself up perfectly, if i cary on, i dont really eat, i lived on 3 bac sw s a ek at work an kids left overs, an chocolate, 1st proper meal i had in 2 weeks was roast on sun, was it vitamin b1, what other things can i get from chemist that r really benificial, im gonna go there instead of the pub after work, not got much money today, xx well done rot rod on not drinking ,

Comment

Alcoholic dementia

Hi all my father had alcohol induced dementia....not a pretty site physically either.

He drank for 60 years heavily and packed up a few months before his death at 75years!!!

i think heavy drinkers often dont balance a diet ,,i,ve atended lectures from registered dieticians as part of my job. It seems to me the best we can to is minimum of 5 fruit and veg a day plus lots of plain water and get moving/walking/ exercise.

Add in whatever vitamins and hope for the best...........we all know that we have to cut the booze down or out or take the risk of some horrible illnesses.

The shame of liver disease brought on by muself would be more than i could bear..another reason today is an AF day!!!

Dont despair its never too late is is to make some changes...............maybe i,ll end up addicted to exercise!!!not showing any signs as yet.

have a fun day and dont worry.

Regards Cassy

Comment

Working...
                              X