Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we hear advice and turn our backs on it? Is our addication that deep! Their are alot of people trying to help us, yet we give in to our own devices. ( your thoughts), IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

A tricky one ...

IAD, we do what we truly want to do, asking for help is sometimes what we feel that we should do ......... but don't really want to ......, which is why we don't take the advice ......

BBxx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Because we aren't really ready to hear it yet and face what we know we need to do. Not until we are ready.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

IAD,

It takes a while to reprogram the brain. Kinda like exercise, you have to go thru the training process. You have to start with a mile before you can plan to run a marathon.

17 days is incredible! Be proud! That muscle is strengthening.

Dx
        * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Sadly, the addiction IS that deep. I do believe that Betty is right, and sometimes we are not ready for said advice. But, I've been out of denial, and appreciated the advice for sometime, but still have turned my back. Wish I had a concrete answer on this one. Sometimes, the addiction is so strong, it convinces you that getting drunk is more important than the respect of loved ones. And for that, I am ever ashamed. 17 days is fantastic. Was your question related to something other than alcohol? Or are you getting tempted? Hang in there. If you've gone this far, no sense in starting back up.
          where does this go?

Comment

M,
            Temptation is always lingering!!!!
            IAD:thanks:
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

I think that denial is incredibly insidious...even when we think we have accepted the fact that alcohol is destroying us, we continue to think/hope that it doesn't REALLY apply to us....For years, I verbalized that I knew I had a problem and I took that to mean that I was no longer in denial, but my behavior demonstrated that I was still in active denial.

There is a disconnect between our conscious/rational mind that drives what we SAY and our subconscious/irrational mind that drives our actual BEHAVIOR....denial is indeed a river and it runs deep within the subconscious!
              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

IAD,
                I was struggling last night, but feel heaps better tonight.

Think all the wonderful advice we get here only adds to the reason we already have within ourselves. We can discuss tactics `til we`re blue in the face, but no change can transpire until we are truly ready to employ the tactics.

I very much believe in the `right time` theory now, which says to me that none of us can tackle the booze until it is our own personal right time, when we will be good and ready.

Just my `take` on this............

Starlight Impress

Comment

I like Dx's idea of training.

Took us all a long time to get where we are/were with our drinking behaviour, makes sense that it will also take time to turn around.

This is my first real attempt at trying to change and I wanted to 5 years ago. Starlight is right we have to be ready.

Kitty
                  Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                  Confucius

Comment

Yup, all above. I love to read all the affirmations and wise words and when I am feeling strong I remember them !! When I am weak I forget - or choose to forget. L xx
                    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Some pretty heavy stuff right there, sujul. Are you saying, that all the times I slipped, it is because I am still in denial? Or, are you saying you can go in and out of denial? I would hate to think as I type this that I'm actually in denial, even though I truly feel like an out of control drunk. Complicated stuff.

sujul;159011 wrote: I think that denial is incredibly insidious...even when we think we have accepted the fact that alcohol is destroying us, we continue to think/hope that it doesn't REALLY apply to us....For years, I verbalized that I knew I had a problem and I took that to mean that I was no longer in denial, but my behavior demonstrated that I was still in active denial.

There is a disconnect between our conscious/rational mind that drives what we SAY and our subconscious/irrational mind that drives our actual BEHAVIOR....denial is indeed a river and it runs deep within the subconscious!
                      where does this go?

Comment

Working...
                      X