Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Your Perspective?

Hello all

Not sure how many of you know me, I do more reading than typing..

To be honest, I only seem to post or reply on here when I am feeling low..

Seems a little unfair when I come here looking for support and I'm not giving any back..

I've only been on here for a couple of weeks, so hopefully, As I do better with my drinking, I'll have some inspiration to offer everyone else looking for input..

I suffer depression/anxiety that all but disappears with 3 days AF...

Drinking excessively makes me feel depressed and hopeless and withdrawn and scared and isolated...But I still drink...

It's been 3 days AF and I am now on beer number three (so totally sober).. I know I will be quite drunk by the time I go to bed...I cant stop now...

I've been doing 3 days AF, think I can sort it all out myself without you all and then get drunk and log right back in the next day...Followed by 3 days AF, then getting drunk again....

Still, I am at least drinking less and very aware of when and how much I am now drinking, which is better than not remembering what I've done 3 mornings a week and doing nothing about it..

Ive been drinking way too much for a long time, I know it's not going to turn around overnight...But I HAVE started, which is the most importiant thing...

I'm also determined not to be too hard on myself...I've read posts by people who were once drinking 2 or 3 bottles of wine a night, hating themselves because they drank a bottle of wine after 3 weeks AF!

Realizing and doing something about your drinking problem is awesome!

Becoming obsessed about it and expecting unrealistic results is really quite detrimental...

I could feel like guilty all day tomorrow for getting drunk tonight or I could use it as a reminder and then congratulate myself for making a start and having 3 days AF before getting smashed again (which is a vast improvement from 3 weeks ago)

What do you think?

David :l
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
    Oscar Wilde

How is Your Perspective?

Hi David
    I agree with everything you said except....the part where you said you are on Beer 3 and can't stop now...why not give it a go just this once?
    Rather than deciding to drink but not beat yourself up tomorrow, why not make the one you're on your last for the night and then you can actually feel GREAT about yourself tomorrow??
    Easier said than done I know and I am not one to talk but wish you luck with the programme. Let us know how you are getting on.
    Bean

Comment

How is Your Perspective?

Your perspective looks good -not expecting miracles, realising their is a problem to be tackled etc. The 3 day thing comes up time and again with many finding it difficult to get beyond - mind starts playing games, motivation starts to wain etc. Loads of threads re what can be done to assist during these times exist -
      visualisation
      identifying the trigger and negating
      recalling images places etc that you dont want to go back to or alternatively recalling positive images etc
      Good luck you seem really grounded with a realistic outlook which will only help you beat this thing.
      mac (FREQUENT READER INFREQUENT POSTER)

Comment

How is Your Perspective?

I apologize for starting 3 identical threads...

I thought I was editing my post but was posting it!

I'm even drunk!

Sorry...

David
        The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
        Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
        X