NEVER OUT OF THE WOODS........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really cured Starlight? Don't have to think about it, be vigilant, take supplements or avoid altogether? I don't think this exists for more than a very few of us here. I'm not good with the quotes thing so I wanted to comment on Sujul's posted remark: To everyone here--my heart goes out to you. This is a horrendous disease and I applaud all of you for struggling to find a way out. If any bit of my experience can save even one of you from having to get to the place I found myself 15 mos ago, this rambling account of my nightmare will have been worth it. This touched me. I was in a yoga class yesterday and the teacher stated that many yogi's believe that if we come into this life with the intention to learn compassion we may have an illness to deal with. It got me to thinking that even if you don't believe in reincarnation and entering a life with specific lessons to learn, even our Western culture talks about learning from mistakes or finding blessings or lessons from difficult situations. It made me think that maybe there is something we all can take from our experience and use for good in the world. And maybe focusing on this will help us improve. That we need to get better so we will have this gift to share like Sujul and others here. As Morrison says, I'm glad you decided to stick around, you are here for a reason. And so are you Morrison. I'm glad you decided to stick around as well.

Comment

I will forever remain aware of my surroundings from this point forward. I am almost 3 months AF and I intend to keep adding to that number, not take away from it.

Comment

Thanks, everyone for your kind responses--I am also glad I'm still here! You too, Morrison! And Luvuall and Julie--thanks. I'm glad we are all here together struggling so honestly with all of this.... :l

Louise, there is a spiritual tradition of the "wounded healer," which runs through both Buddhism and Christianity...I have always found this a guiding principle for my life--it is why I became a counselor after my first years of sobriety and it is the form of ministry that I am now working towards.... Your retreat sounds wonderful--I look forward to hearing more about it!

:l :l
        "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Sujul, I'm just starting to read "The Other Within: The Genius of Deformity in Myth, Culture and Psyche". It is described as a book about ways "the redeeming energies of the Sacred often find their ways to us through our weaknesses...even those parts of ourselves we find ugly and shameful." I hope it is helpful in dealing with this issue. At the moment it is giving me a lot of hope.

Comment

I find it so amazing that some of the nicest, brightest people are alcoholics. You all have such depth. Why do you think we (and I'm not comparing myself to some of you) but why are some of the caring people so prone to drink? My mom was a (what they now call) bipolar. I am too. She also was an alcoholic, as am I, despite thinking I would never drink. She once told me about the manic-depressive diagnosis I was then given, "We do have the lowest lows but we have the highest, highs too". As if that was a great thing. But is it? What makes us want to......Put the blinders on. Dull the senses. Do we REALLY, as smart people, think drinking will make us feel better? Or just less bad?

Comment

Interesting questions, Hart...

I think that some of us find it difficult to function with the disconnect between what we hope and imagine life to be about and the apparent inadequacy of reality to meet those expectations--better to hide inside the delusions of drugs and alcohol that try to come to terms with life's contradictions. That said, I think that we also have the ability to rise to levels of compassion with which we can both see the state of the world and respond to its unhappiness without hate and judgment. Reason enough to get sober perhaps....

Thanks, Louise, that sounds like my kind of book! May I suggest in return that you look at the life and works of Henri Nouwen--a terribly conflicted religious and spiritual man who nevertheless used his personal anguish in the service of others.

Peace~~~

Comment

(((Sujul)))

But I am one to respond to the world w/o hate and prejudice. My mother INSTILLED that in me and though we all have some prejudices I REALLY try to view people...well kind of like Anna Frank. People ARE usually good. To paraphrase. I LIKE PEOPLE. It's myself I have some problems with....and though I like myself, I find myself insecure and......easy to blame for my weakness.

Sorry to be so heavy on a Friday......

Comment

(((Hart)))

I am intrigued--yes, I too think we are especially able to respond without hate and judgment...that's our strength--meaning that's YOUR strength... Sorry if I didn't make that clear....

And you, Hart, are a microcosm of the larger world...you deserve to be treated with the same compassion that you extend to others.... I wonder why we can love "people" and yet exclude ourselves from that love? :l :l

(BTW, I'm happiest when the discussion gets "heavy"! ! )

Comment

Working...
                  X