FLY THE FLAG..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLY THE FLAG..........

Sorry guys, don`t mean to split hairs, but..............

It came to my attention as I was reading through the posts, that another member stated that Britain is very old-fashioned in its attitude to psychotherapy, regarding it unfavourably. I appreciate that there was no offence intended in the post, but it just got me thinking.............

Is it not more that certain sectors of our societies, rather than particular cultures,berate those in need of psychotherapy, just as alcoholics are berated, and that those sectors are of the biased opinion that both the emotionally vulnerable and alcoholics are, in some way, lesser beings? I consider that any uncalled for stigma attached to psychotherapy rears its ugly head worldwide.

As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I fully support the need for psychotherapy and feel disillusioned how people can be `labelled` simply for needing help.

Starlight Impress

FLY THE FLAG..........

Hey Star....I think the "old school" way of thinking was to "just pull yourself up by your bootstraps"....and keep going...
    There was a time not too long ago that everyone had to work so hard just to survive, that at the end of the day....nothing mattered but food , sleep and a good woman or man to keep you warm.
    We have an excess of stuff now and yet we're not really happy! What gives with that?
    Just my thoughts...Oh and........I agree that the first step if you find yourself with a problem, now is to seek some help.....we live in a different world now that "back then"..Our diets and lifestyles add much more stress to our lives. "Live Simply" is a good thought...
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Starlight, I agree with you, but on the bright side, we came a looooong way. For example, I'm able to get the help I need through counseling and medication. Now, mental illness (bipolar) seems to run on my mothers side of the family. She had one brother that drank himself to death, and one sister drank herself to death. Both had major problems. She had an aunt that was institutionalized (and I don't mean prison,) and another that killed herself. I have the chance not to turn out like others in my familty, because of the strides that we have made. Sure, we aren't there yet, but we are getting there. Of course, I live in the states, so I wouldn't know about other countries.
      where does this go?

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

morrisson,
        Am glad you are receiving the kind of help you need. Like you say, public opinion of mental illness has came a long way. However, there still remains a long way to go..........

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Startlight,
          Thier are people that are truly sick. Scientest have proven that. Chemical imblances, bypolar desorder. A lot of the old thoughts are quite out dated. But what do I know...I live in the states where all the actors & actress see a thriapist ! IAD.
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

*** N.B.***

I am sickened at the response this thread has brought me in a pm, as obviously my perspective has been seriously misinterpretted.

The "Britain" post to which I referred, would have incited the same response from me regardless of which country had been used as an example of attaching stigma to psychotherapy.

I started the thread simply to highlight how a certain sector of society in ANY country will always be prone to regard the mentally ill and alcoholics as weak human beings who should be able to `cure` themselves, without outside intervention.

I did not head the thread as "FLY THE BRITISH FLAG......", rather I headed it "FLY THE FLAG.........", thereby implying for all countries to fly their particular flag.

FURTHER, I would like to clarify that I consider myself to be Scottish first, and British second, therefore I hardly think I would be likely to take umbrage at the "Britain" post!!!

And please,please, please.............. could anyone tell me how HERPES could possibly be linked to the likes of mental illness and alcoholism, as the sender of the pm I received seems to think there is such a link, where there is a great, yet almost unheard of, incidence of herpes in London, since we British(remember I`m Scottish guys!!! lol) prefer to keep the herpes epidemic under wraps also.

Would just like to add that I remain in a very upbeat mood this evening. After all, these things (i.e. unsavoury pms)are sent to try us...........LOL

Thanks for being here guys!!!

Much love,

Starlight Impress

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Starlight,
              It can get crazy here ! I spend much of my time explaining myself ! I get jumped on for my views. Thier are so many different point of views here, how can we keep everyone happy? I know what your talking about. There are so many different expressions in this world..... We really have to think what the other person means. Tamatoes...Taamatoes, Patatoes..Paatatoes ! I'm being an ass, let me stop. I've manage to get may self in enough trouble this weekend !!! IAD.
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Dunno IAD!!! lol

Starlight Impress

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Yo, Star

Good Lord.........

Perhaps he/she responsible for said pm should make doctors appt. next week! :anon:

There is, and will be, the stigma regarding addictions and mental illness, as long as people do not understand.

Their knowlege is passed down nonsense from Uncle Joe whose cousin Jim drank too much or Aunt Mary was commited to the Insane Assylum in 1955...

I can only think that perhaps the stigma attached to the Herpes virus, genital herpes, as it is unseen and not openly discussed, nevertheless there and waiting to explode. Just my guess.

I too suffer from Major Depression. I see my psychiatrist once a month and have for almost four years. I take medication. I don't care who knows. If they have a problem with it......

But, and a big BUT, I am in Canada. My health records are private. They belong to my physician. There is no insurance company asking to see them.

For those of you in the US struggling with this issue, it breaks my heart that on top of everything else you must worry about this. That is so unfair. There are enough hurdles on the way to wellness.

IAD :l I hope all is well with your daughter.

magic xx :schmokin:
                  ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                  I am in the next seat.
                  My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

FLY THE FLAG..........

Thanks Magic ! IAD!
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                    X