Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol does NOT kill brain cells

Good news (from Australia, I may be a bit behind),

It has been discovered that alcohol does not kill our brain cells and that we are indeed able to regenrate our brain cells.

Well I dont know if that is good for us to know or not :H
    Good job!:goodjob:

Not so fast....

No need to get too excited yet.... Brain cells will regenerate ONLY after the person reduces their intake or becomes abstinent....also, while the brain cells may regenerate there is this: [hint: it's about the dendrites, which carry the messages between brain cells....]

"Of course, years of alcohol abuse can cause serious neurological damage, including Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Harm can be done to message-carrying dendrites on neurons in the cerebellum, a part of the brain involved in learning and physical coordination. But even in such extreme cases, there’s a lack of evidence that alcohol kills brain cells.

"However, abstinence after chronic alcohol abuse enables brains to repair themselves, according to new research involving rats.
    During simulated alcohol “binges,” rats’ ability to create new brain cells was reduced. But after the animals no longer consumed alcohol they had a “huge burst” in new brain cell development. The study is the first to demonstrate that brain cell production can return after abstinence from alcohol abuse.

"People who drink too much and are thinking about either reducing or eliminating their drinking should find these findings encouraging, although humans have not yet been tested directly for the positive brain effects."
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

How long does the period of abs have to be?

Comment

Since they've only succeeded with rats at this point, there is no clear evidence that this is even true of human brains, much less how long the regeneration would take....sorry, Lucky....unless you're a rat.....

Comment

Well there goes that... woe is me

Comment

Yeah...bummer aint it, Finkle? Sorry I had to be the messenger on this one....

Comment

But wait, from that avatar, there is no solid evidence that Lucky is not in fact a Rat instead of a duck. She may be the luckiest one here, sneakin out of her rat cage at night in the lab to log on to MWO........
              If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Yeah....Rot, ya think? I mean we never really KNOW who or even WHAT is posting here, do we....?

Comment

LOL - you may indeed be correct. You never know what is posting...

Comment

Probably just as well!!

Comment

Is this where I am going wrong? Should I be keeping my brain in a cell?

:anon:
                      Enough is enough

Comment

LOL - yes of course, its much safer that way...

Comment

I think just like everthing else, how alcohol effects people is a very individual thing,

eg some people can eat chocolate all day and stay skinny, some eat a little bit here and there and stack on the weight.

Some drinkers get liver desease, some don't.

Not trying to say drinking is good for us at all, we all know better, but I reckon it affects people in different ways, my pop was an alco, but died of emphasema, why ? cause he loved a smoke with his drink. He was 87...and a jerk!

Just my opinion...

Love Jas xxx
                          :thanks: :h

Comment

uh, can someone pls explain all this to me? (Or maybe I should wait a bit-- I'm only on my 3rd day abs...)
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Lucky's avatar is an amorphous presence from the 4th dimension. Ever changing and mysterious just like her.
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X