Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking some bigger steps...

Hi all,

Things are starting to happen for me with getting help for my drinking problem.

I saw the drug and alcohol coundillor on Tuesday, he's a nice guy, an ex junkie so knows what addiction is all about, he's given me some homework to do, and best of all he validated some of the reasons why I got here, he's been there too.

Yesterday I saw the phyciatrist again, and on my first evaluation, as some may know, I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome...

She took alot of notes and confered with the other phycs and after our discussion yesterday, she said I've been diagnosed as having Chronic Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder manifesting as Borderline Personality Disorder, yay!

Basically means I was f****ked up as a kid and now my emotions aren't working normally, but I knew that....

I knew I had some issues..., and she said it's no wonder I drink, and if anything I've used it as a coping mechanism that has kept me alive, and I can see this, the times when I've wanted to hurt and kill myself, I've gone on a binge and wiped out the emotions and survived it, with a shocking hangover, but I survived.

Anyway, I'm referred to do a 42 week course through mental health callled DBT, Dialectical Behavoural Training, first started by Marsha Linehan ( google it if your interested, lot's of info about it) but it is pretty much a successful treatment, and I'm keen to start it in two weeks time, in the meantime I have cd's to listen to about 'mindfulness' and literature to read. she warned me that during the couse I will probably feel as if I'm losing my identity, Yay I thought, the one I have is pretty crappy, so I'm feeling good about it and can't wait to start.

Hope you all don't hold it against me due to my disorder, as I'm trying to beat this shit and reaching out for all the help I can get, as I know everyone who posts here is, no matter what stage they're at,

Here's hoping you all have open hearts,

Luv Jas xxx
    :thanks: :h

wow, good shit. you're really going somewhere, and fast. (hope you keep at least some of your old identity though). keep us updated.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

That is fabulous news ..... Keep us updated with your progress .....

Love & Hugs, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Hi and nice to meet you. Just wanted to congratulate you on taking charge and doing things to move forward. Very inspirational. Best wishes to you!

~Catt
        AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Jas, you have a good start and your willingness is awsome. I think you are on the right road, congratulations. Keep us posted
          bear
          What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
          ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Feels so good to put your finger on something and know what you're dealing with eh? You now have a map for that road you are about to travel down. We'll be there at every single rest stop to spend some time and hear about how you are doing.. All the best to you... I can relate to a childhood problem being a trigger later in life..
            Hugs to you, ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Wishing you every success on this journey.
              Enough is enough

Comment

Well now you have a diagnosis which really is helpful and some hope.

Great news.
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

This is fantasic progress Jas!!!

There's a line in one of the groups I go to and it says " we've learnt to survive life, now we're learning to LIVE life"..... this is it girl - go get yourself a life!!!!!

F.
                  It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Jas, good luck to you my friend on this journey. Isn't it amazing how many of us with alcohol problems had really dreadful childhoods? I have always said you need a license to drive a car but any 2 idiots can have a child. You sound as if your getting a hold of it and I belive you will overcome. Your the best, and don't you forget it!
                    Smiles
                    mar

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your support and kind words...

It's like I can't make time go quickly enough, I just want to immerse myself in this course, and can't wait to get rid of the heavy weight, demons I live with etc.

Saw the doc today, the one that referred me, and I couldn't thank him enough, for listening to me, and hearing what I said, yay, feeling the validation!!! and he didn't want my thanks, he just told me to pat myself on the back for wanting to make the change, and making the start.

I'm not cured, but feel in control now (here's hoping!) feeling happy and full of hope for the future, for me, and for my daughter, my son, and my coming grandchild, I may end up a normal sort of a person, lol. It's all good!!!

Alot of credit goes to RJ and this site too, for giving me somewhere to start, and I still listen to the cd's as I go to bed most nights, and still take the supps. Just knowing I'm not alone has made a big difference! And I don't think I would have ever taken up scuba diving either, but now have diving to look forward too, and I have to be fit (going to the gym at least 2 times a week now) and sober (have you ever tried to be on a boat out at sea hungover? not good, lol) and heaving in a dive mask.... don't go there, lol

Anyway, I will let you know what I learn, and hope it's helping someone, I do want to be an inspiration, I've never been one before, and I reckon it feels good, and I don't want to let myself or anyone down, it's all 'Go Thunderbirds, GO!!!' lol

Luv to all, jas xxx
                      :thanks: :h

Comment

Working...
                      X