Stress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress

I am reading this book by Peter Kramer(Listening to Prozac author, this one is called Against Depression) and am getting educated about the bad effects of stress hormones on the body, that they lead to anatomical changes related to depression. The effects made lab rats more prone to drinking alcohol. The author talks about the use of antidepressants to make people more resilient to the hazardous effects of stress hormones.

Once again, I feel like I have not really known enough about this. I didn't really think about how bad stress was for the body until now. I didn't think of it as an actual physical cause of depression.

Anyone have any comments on this? I guess guided imagery is a stress reliever, much like what we have on our hypno CDs. So they serve a dual purpose. That's great.

Stress

Arendal Fatigue will kill you, and we all have it...have had cancer, alcholism, divorce, name it.....we've gone to school for it....you don't need tons of Dr.'s, just need the right supp's, just like RJ......for lots of ailments.......lol....
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Stress

I have been suffering from anxiety attacks so bad that I had to go to the hospital and they sent me home. And then after they made light of it the last 3 weeks have been so bad that I am afraid to sleep! It only happens when I sleep. Andrenal fatigue will kill you................ I am so happy I am seeing my doctor on Thursday. I honestly feel suicidal and that I am going insane. I suggest to anyone else who is suffering the same to deal with it now. Ya, I am pretty messed up. It is either the booze or to deal with the root of the problem head on.

Comment

Stress

yeh, stress, anxiety-- it is all treatable with alcohol (the medicine you don't need an rx for). that's what i've done for years. now i have to find another way to treat it and it ain't easy. what i wonder about is why it affects some people so much more than others. I have always been stressed and anxious since i was a child, but not my siblings, who grew up with me and we had a fairly good environment to grow up in. so why? I hate it. those hormones suck.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Stress

What do you take to make this more bearable Beatle???

Comment

Stress

alcohol.

ha ha and when I'm not on the booze, I try to keep to the natural stuff but if you really have anxiety issues (which I do), there are also prescription medicines to help that.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Stress

Beatle,
              I also suffer from dreadful anxiety and struggle to manage it when in panic mode which can strike me for several weeks at a time, and I also self-medicated it on a nightly basis with wine.

Accountable, am so very sorry you are so unwell. Am praying you get sufficient help from your doc.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Stress

well i self-medicated on a daily and nightly basis with a lot more than wine. hope those days are over... but can't be sure.

accountable, if you have major anxiety issues, pls look into meds for that. there are some new ones that are not so addictive. anything is better than the self-medication of alcohol.

Comment

Stress

Hi all

might be worth looking at 5-HTP which is a supplement which I purchased instead of Calms but which is supposed to be a good natural serotonin booster as well as anxiolytic. It is recommended to take it before going to bed and there are no known side affects. Check it out on the web.

nite all
                  Wine tomorrow, wine yesterday but NO wine today

Comment

Stress

I am interested in these responses. I guess I never thought about the adrenal glands or too many stress hormones. I guess it can be tested. Has anyone ever been tested?

Wouldnt it be cool to check our your hippocampus and see if it was smaller due to stress or depression?

Comment

Stress

I have no idea what a hippocampus is LOL. I suffer from bi-polar and am properly medicated as per what you are suppose to take for it. I have suffered from extreme depression all of my life and anxiety attacks since I was 19. I use to self medicate and am almost there again because the attacks are so bad and happen when I lie down - so I am not getting much sleep either. It just sucks shit.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow so I will see if he can order tests for the adrenal glands - I will let you know what happens. I only knows this needs to be dealt with before I end up in a psych ward.

Comment

Working...
                      X