Alcohol is not my friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol is not my friend

Rocky - you are a superly smart man. You went AF for so long, tried to moderate and have come to realize it isn't for you. I am in the same boat. I need to be AF in order to have control of my life. Hang in there. I know you will do what is best for you. Not many of us can moderate successfully so know you are not alone. XOXO

Comment

Alcohol is not my friend

Great thread, guys. Moderation is also not for me. Truth is, I don't want to moderate. What fun is having a couple drinks? None for me. That is just a tease. I think it is easy to confuse a desire to moderate to a desire to quit drinking, but leaving open the possibility of getting drunk for some special occasion. At least that's how it works with me.

Comment

Alcohol is not my friend

In psychology they say that your brain does not process negative words like not and won't etc. Try ALCOHOL IS MY ENEMY or ALCOHOL KILLS (bit harsh maybe). My psych told me that a sentence like that would affirm alcohol-friend. Not a criticism, just a thought.

Hope you're doing okay.

Hope you can read this for the headlights! lol
        Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
        Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

Alcohol is not my friend

Yes Deilight, I have heard or read that as well.

I need to regroup and get back to AF....Had too much last night, now mad at myself again.

Thanks!

Deilight;172526 wrote: In psychology they say that your brain does not process negative words like not and won't etc. Try ALCOHOL IS MY ENEMY or ALCOHOL KILLS (bit harsh maybe). My psych told me that a sentence like that would affirm alcohol-friend. Not a criticism, just a thought.

Hope you're doing okay.

Hope you can read this for the headlights! lol
          Control the Mind

Comment

Alcohol is not my friend

Hi Rocky, i too thought i could moderate, but i can't .
            Best of luck.Paula

Comment

Alcohol is not my friend

Hi everyone. Lot's of good information in this thread, for me anyway and I suspect for others.

Rocky I am sorry you are struggling. I hope you can get things sorted back out in whatever would be the fastest and most painless way.

At 22 days AF, the thought of trying to moderate scares me and feels risky - and I know myself well enough to believe I can't. The thought of just not drinking any more and being rid of the stress of it all is so much more pleasant, despite the fact that craves will no doubt be in the road.

I too realized that for the last several many years anyway, the only reason I drank was to get drunk. Any other "explanations" were just BS. My favorite was eating out, and having wine to "compliment the food." Yeah right. I'd order the cheapest white they had in order to save money since I wanted LOTS of wine to "compliment the food." Things sure changed somewhere along the way....

Best wishes to you Rocky, and thanks to all for sharing such really great insights.

DG
              Day 22 AF
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X