Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psycologist

cognitive behavioral therapy

Ariel is right, cognitive behavior therapy is good but may not be for everyone. It's good for people who are unrealistically hard on themselves, with an intense innner critics.

It's about identifying cognitive distortions:
    Cognitive Distortions

These result in depression.

I think it is important to find someone good. that person might not be the most experienced, it might be an intuitive empathetic younger person.... experience doesn't always count for a lot I have found. Personality type does.

Comment

psycologist

You know a lot! You are a smart person!

gabby;172170 wrote: Rocky, I agree with Kathy. In fact have you tried a woman?

I have had therapists like the one you have and I also have had ones that will really give you some feedback. Those have been women....sorry to say. My bf's favorite is also a woman.

I strongly recommend what Kathy said. And I would also say what you havent liked about your other experiences with therapists.

And SAY what you want and need. Like...."I want feedback and a bit of direction". for example.

They arent gonna tell you what to do but they can help you guide yourself a little quicker if thats what you want.

You sound eager to get somewhere to me. You sound open. So lets get down to the crap....so to speak. Therapist's - they have to be gentle with clients at first and sorta feel them out to see where their psyche is. Let them know you want to get down to business.

Kathy - I dunno......what do you think about my talkin here.

Maybe its just me here but I tend to jump in with both feet and wanna make some progress and cut the crap.

Sounds like Rock whats some of that. I could be wrong.

Wudda I know
      Control the Mind

Comment

psycologist

So, Rocky, do you think you've gotten anything valuable out of this thread?? I hope it's been helpful for you. A lot of people have had some good thoughts.
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

psycologist

Very much so and I appreciate all the great insight and ideas.
          I have a list of Dr.'s that are on my insurance and am developing some questions...

Thanks to all!

YoungAtHeart;172598 wrote: So, Rocky, do you think you've gotten anything valuable out of this thread?? I hope it's been helpful for you. A lot of people have had some good thoughts.
          Control the Mind

Comment

psycologist

women vs men

Regarding the gender issue. I think it can make a difference but probably unwise to generalize. If I were to use my own experience and share anecdotally, i would say all but one of the women I saw (and most altogether were women) were passive and not helpful. I had three men, two of whom were very active and one of whom was passive. Women were more likely to let me sit there and wallow whereas the men (two out of three that is) focused on solutions. Based on my conclusions I thought maybe men did take a more active approach but it looks like Gabby has had the opposite experience. So it goes to show that anecdotal experience doesn't necessarily mean that much.

Look for the person, not the gender. However, if you have someone of the opposite sex, they might be able to help with issues related to finding a partner, in terms of offering more practical advice, because obviously they see it from the target sex point of view. Also they are not in a competitive position with you. sometimes people of the same sex are more likely to judge.

Comment

psycologist

Best of luck Rocky! I had good experience with one therapist who happened to be a woman - she gave a lot of input and told me where she thought my feelings were coming from. She was usually dead on. I can understand where you are coming from. Mirroring would not work for me, and would likely annoy me. "Yes, that is what I am saying!! I just said it, didnt I??? BAHHH!"
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

psycologist

So - what we are saying is - shop around.

(that will be 500 dollars please!)

Satori

(Sorry - couldn't resist it!)

Rocky - I hope you find what you are looking for - don't give up - they are out there somewhere!!
                "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Working...
                X