How helpful is counselling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some feed-back to see if people found counselling helpful? Am a functioning alcoholic. Tried AA but defnitely not for me. Have had some success with MWO but being honest have not committed enought to it. Intend to start again 1st September when the kids go back to school. (Have the herbs, cds but never received the topa from aclypsa). The one thing I did find interesting at AA was the number of people who had dysfunctional childhoods. This applied to me but am an only child and both parents are dead for years. Now I have a wonderful husband, wonderful kids and a beautiful home so why do I continue to make myself so miserable by over drinking? Have been thinking of trying addiction counselling but am a very private person so I dont know if it will be of any benefit to me. Have never discussed my unhappy childhood with anyone even my husband of 24 years, maybe it would help to bring it out in the open. Would appreciate your views.

Thanks

Rustop:thanks:

I've been seeing a counsellor for the past 7 months. She's a drug and alchohol counsellor with the local govt agency here. I've not only found talking to her extrememly helpful, but I have a new friend as well!!

Have you tried codependants anonymous? I hated AA, but this really works for me.
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

I think, from what you say, you could benefit from counseling, but it may take time to find the right person, so don't give up if you don't like the first one you get. It may also take time before you feel you can open up, so don't feel pressured to bare your soul on the first session. Wait until you really want to.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

You can't move past your issues until you face them. Right now, your are drinking to quiet them down. Counselling is a way of speeding that up. We all have the tools inside of us to deal with our issues and if you haven't used them, you don't know how. That's what counselling does. It can be a painful process, but no more painful than what you are going through now.

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". How true.

Comment

I would rather be on a hike or @ the gym or with friends or family but to each their own.

Comment

Lucky, something tells me that you've already got everything all figured out!

I agree - exercising, communing with nature or spending time with friends is therapy in and of itself.

If you have the right mindset, you are truly being your own cousellor on a consistent basis.

Comment

Counselling can be right for some people but not everyone. Sometimes a friend
              or family member can be just as helpful. I personally find it helpful to write down
              my feelings and things that have happened in my past, let someone who you trust
              read it, this can be very therapeutic. I do agree that you can't deal with past issues
              until you face them. Best of luck. Paula.

Comment

I am a very private person and the very thought of sitting alone in a room with a stranger and telling them my inner most thoughts was horrifying to me. But,, a few months back I knew I had to tell someone what had happened in my childhood. I was drinking myself silly to escape it. So....I decided to try on-line counselling and I found the best man ever. I write him a long email and he sends a long reply back. I did this about once a week for a few months. I have found this has worked for me, as I can sit in my lounge and type to my hearts content. I told him things that I have told no one. I needed that so much and I needed someone to tell me I was okay. Counselling worked for me. I hope this helps you Rustop61.

Bella xxx All the best to you whatever you decide.

Comment

Writing is excellent therapy. We used to use pen and paper; now we use a keyboard.

The idea is to get the thoughts out, whether it be to a friend, on a computer or to a counsellor. Sometimes we must spend money to feel like something is working!!

Comment

Hey Rustop,

I found therapy to be very helpful. After a very horrible childhood, I spent about 10 years in therapy - off and on - sometimes twice a week. I was lucky to be able to go to the university and get it on a sliding scale (really cheap for students, lol). It made a huge difference.

I would say that the most important thing about finding a therapist - if you decide to go that route - is to critically evaluate the person. You are paying, so be picky. One therapist may be almost worthless, even damaging, while another can assist you in making huge changes.

The one I have now is pretty worthless, but I only see her once every 8 weeks (which is really not enough to make a difference anyway). I only see her for insurance, so I can get to see my shrink for meds.

Hugs,
                    Pansy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Its great to get feed-back. Hike between 3 and 5 miles every morning with a friend and the dogs so have the everyday stuff sorted, just need to go back and sort the old stuff and defnitely need help with that!!

Comment

I agree with Bella, talking to someone will make a big difference.
                        I wish you well
                        bear
                        What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                        ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

I have done counseling a few different times over the past 20 years. Some were good, some not. The one I have now and have been seeing for about 1 year is really great! I find just going and dumping my problems doesn't really help in the long run although it feels good to get it off my chest in the moment. The therapist I see now does something called lifespan integration. They have a website if you google it and there are referrals for people in your area. It is a more progressive therapy to help integrate the yucky childhood experiences so that you can function in the present instead of from the past.

Therapy is work, either way you look at it and can be painful especially if you have trauma in your childhood. For me it has helped me heal and I would probably be way worse off without it. There are weekend workshops too that can help heal past stuff and other therapies like rebirthing, etc. I was in codependents anonymous too and loved it! Hated AA.

Good luck on your quest! Hope you find what works for you.

Comment

I had a very horrible childhood. I am 35 and now just figuring out that a counselor/psychiatrist will help me immensely with all the garb resurfacing. Now that I am not drinking to suppress it. I am currently on a wait list to see a psychiatrist and I am excited about it! I can't wait to deal with this stuff so I can move forward in my life.

Dumping on a stranger can be a bit weird, but after a couple of sessions (if you click) with that person, you will feel more comfortable. We dump out all of our most inner fears/emotions/everything here and we are all 'strangers' to one another. So why not give it a try and see how it goes for you? It definitely couldn't hurt!

Comment

Taliking your problem out will always help. Weather it's to a Shrink or to a good friend ! You need to express your feelings. Vent. Express your feelings. IAD
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X