depression and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depression and alcohol

hey guys. just curious. i suffer from depression. i havent gone a week without alcohol in like two three years. i still cannot download this book because idont have muy own comp hookd up yet. my family is in the process of moving. my plan is to start af for a month or maybe longer in september when everythings set and i can download the book. i am dying to!! but i was curious. my pyschiatrist says that after two to three weeks of being alcohol free, my depression might go away. ( still prob be there which is partly WHY i drink)
    Did any of you guys notice this? did your mood go way up? let me know how u felt mentally

depression and alcohol

i agree Tkeene... first off u want to know somethin funny? you have the initial of my sister, and my last name.. lol anyway, the thing i dont want to lose is the fun my friends are having at my age ( 25) but mentally im not good. life seems so boring, unless i can still go out on a friday night and party. so im sure my depression will lift a lot when i stop drinking for a month or whatever. my bf says he will do it with me. im not sure how it will work, im just dyin to get this book. do you have to buythe book or can u download it?

Comment

depression and alcohol

You will feel much better after you quit drinking. The alcohol is messing with a lot of things. It will definately increase your depression. I am still taking my antidepressant, and I might not need to have it now, but I was so messed up I would be afraid right now to quit taking it for a while longer.
      What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
      ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

depression and alcohol

Alcohol is a depressant. No doubt about it. But if one uses alcohol to surpress some emotions.....like I do, those emotions will be given free rein. And that can be scary. They should be let out and dealt with, don't get me wrong, but it is scary to deal with them w/o a "damper"

My two cents

Comment

depression and alcohol

I started on anti-d's a few years ago when I was drinking pretty heavily. After going AF for 6 months I did stop the anti-d's. I think alcohol was a big reason for my depression.
          Marcie

Comment

depression and alcohol

MdBiker, i def felt like the mediations barely worked with the amount iwas drinking. so i stopped the zoloft. just letting u know in case u dont, be careful when u decide to stop your AD. u have to slither that thing over a month or two if u can, and u still may or may not ( depending on ur body and also which ad you are on, the newer ones such as effexor have terrible withdrawels-zoloft , mine, was bad but not insanely bad)experience withdrawels. Ok, sooo question: How long after you guys came off of alcohol did your depression start to lift? for those that theyre depressiondid lift anyway... was it a few days? or like a few weeks?

Cool.. so how long did the depression start to life for those of you who felt less depressed stopping the alcohol?

Comment

depression and alcohol

My mood definitely lifted, but as I said to someone recently, now I feel my problems more and because I am aware more the problems hurt more.

So the depressed mood has lifted but things hurt more. I don't know if I am explaining it clearly enough, the alcohol is not dulling the pain anymore or my mood. So I feel more things but cope better because I'm not depressed or in a depressed mood..

Ohhh, I hope you understand?

xxx
              I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
              I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

depression and alcohol

I think it can work both ways.

I began drinking to deal with long standing depression.
                Now that i am truly sober and look back I can see that I was always depressed.

I feel a gazillion times better sober but
                I still take my medication and don't see quitting as an option in the near future.

But I know of those who have become depressed because of the alcohol, and as you have said, are no longer once they become AF.

Yes, Diamond, now we are free to feel our feelings. When once we "stuffed" them with alcohol, now we are "feeling". Joy and pain. xx

Life is good.

m. xx
                ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                I am in the next seat.
                My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

depression and alcohol

Hi there Me145,

Excessive alcohol can cause depression, alcohol can exacerbate already exsisting depression too. All in all, if you are prone to depression, alcohol will only make it 100 times worse.

I was slightly down, so drank to feel better. Then after loads of drink I felt REALLY depressed, so drank again. That made alot of sense didn't it.....NOT!!!!!!! Mad how our minds work eh!???!!!

All the best to you. Bella xxx

Comment

depression and alcohol

haha true to all of your responses. our minds do work in strange ways.

Comment

depression and alcohol

hi me145 you certainly bring up a lot of interesting commments. I come from a non drinking, happy well adjusted family.
                      I just got hooked up with the wrong crowd in my twenties. I was also living away from home going to school.
                      I started getting depressed and feeling really low about myself, when I was drinking heavily. Then I cut down and exercised and the depression when away.
                      I'ts like that for me If I start drinkining and don't take a break from it, I get depressed. before I wasn't paying attention, but now I make sure I eat well and take supplements .
                      Some people do have chemical imbalances that require medication, for me I cause the chemical imbalance by not taking care and drinking. It has become less and less frequent, I haven't stopped drinking, but I don't get stupid drunk anymore and I take big breaks in between
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

depression and alcohol

Well - for me - on day 23 AF (for the first time in a bazillion years) and exercising like a good 'un I feel GREAT.
                        Can't remember feeling this good for a LONG time!!! .

While I was drinking I was always much more depressed and anxious!

YMMV!

Worth a try!

satori
                        xxx
                        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

depression and alcohol

Satori!!

Yahoo!!!! for 23 days AF ! Well done!
                          Just drinking my morning coffee, too early to think, what is YMMV?

m. xx
                          ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                          I am in the next seat.
                          My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

depression and alcohol

Cannot help with the YMMV but I always had some low level depression that became worse when I really started abusing alcohol, then the anxiety super kicked in that was for sure also booze related (didn't realize I was having withdrawal thought I was having anxiety attacks).
                            My depression and anxiety has only gotten worse over the years and that is because I totally lost control of my life and gave it to booze, while still trying to manage my extremely stressful life and keeping the outside world in the dark about my drinking problem. Just trying to hide it is stressful enough, all the lies and stuff. I am only at day 4 of not drinking but I have not cried in 4 days and there has not been a day that i have not cried in a very long time. Well maybe I'll cry now just thinking about how much time I wasted crying. Just kidding.

Seriously though, I am only at day 4 and have no idea what is in store for me as far as my moods. I feel proud because I have done 4 days but it's not like anyone's gonna throw me a party because no one knows! I have to throw my own party and be happy with myself and my accomplishments as they come. I have to be a better parent and wife and friend, be a better person in general, and most of all find myself and figure out who the hell I really am because right now I have no idea how I'll be even next week. Good luck in all of our crazy journeys. :h
                            Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

depression and alcohol

oh my

camper

you cried every day

like really cried

wet tears???

you have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo got to be abs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am jumping up and down in celebration of your day 4.

do not fu c k it up.

make it to 30 and i will send you pretty flowers.

Comment

Working...
                              X