Americans: Social Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security was never intended to finance our retirement, only supplement it. As the years went on, it got worse and worse. We'll see something, but don't count on it to fund your retirement for you.

That's one of the reasons that the government keeps increasing the amount that you can put into your IRAs and 401(k)s and have liberalized the laws on these plans. They expect us to plan for our own retirement and give us tax breaks in order to do it so that we are not planning on social security.

Camper, that is an excellent suggestion about not waiting for the tax return. Rather, increase your exemptions and put the money into a tax deferred investment like a 401(k) or IRA if you are eligible. You'll pay less in taxes overall and your money will be working for you instead of you blowing it when you get a refund. Yeah, you have to pay taxes on it when you take it, but at least it's there.

Invest what you can, know your risk tolerance and timeline to retirement, diversify your investments, and use the tools that are available from the provider of whomever you are investing with. Most of the providers I have seen have good tools for helping you choose your investments.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Comment

Social Security is a Ponzi scheme, an investment pyramid, depending on new investors to keep the system afloat, except that demographically we can't support it with people receiving benefits who never paid in, not enough new, young workers to make up for the folks who are living waaaay longer than anyone expected.

It would be completely illegal if anyone besides the government had set it up.

Don't depend on it.

I've got an IRA, 401k, and - God willing - plan on working well past my official "retirement" date of 67 or 70-1/2. My current struggle is living within my means ... make frugality a habit.

I've just had my state teachers retirement money rolled into an IRA last month as well, since I don't trust CA either!

Sammy, I understand not trusting your Edward Jones guy. They don't love you as much as you love you, so it's always smart to do your research at Morningstar.com, yahoo finance, to check up on what you're invested in.

It's so important to be proactive with your money!
      "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Sorry to join in the US social security issues, but I am NO WAY relying on retirement pension from the UK goverrment it wouldn't even put petrol in my car for the month !!!

I'm salting away ?'s but I am very careful where I am putting them !!

Can't say too much tho !!! LOL
        I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
        I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

All,
          In this country (America) as well as in any other countries you got to watch out for your self. Make your own investments. Thier is much out there to choose from. I've been Wheeling & dealing most of my adult life.....you take some from one fund that is'nt doing anything & invest in something else. That's what capitolism is all bout. When I retire I don't want to be one of those people that have to make a dession weather I buy my pills today or eat ! IAD.
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Why thank you Barb! :h
            Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

No need for thanks, Patty. You have a smart head on your red-headed shoulders. By the way, your picture is awesome!!

This is what we tell all of our clients. Give the government an interest-free loan (that you will get taxed on next year - your return) or invest in yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X