Muscle cramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle cramps

Does anyone experience muscle cramps the day after drinking? I've been noticing charlie horses and cramps in my calves the morning after drinking. I'm sure this is related to alcohol being a cause of dehydration.

I've just (UGH) kinda been drinking more than necessary again, so I can pinpoint when it started.

Anyone?
    Marcie

Muscle cramps

I never did, Marcie. Are you getting enough calcium? If you're drinking more, maybe you are not getting enough of the other nutrients that you need?? Just a thought.
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Muscle cramps

Yes, yes! I have definately noticed calf cramps the morning after drinking. Maybe alcohol drains the body of calcium?
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Muscle cramps

Perhaps calcium and magnesium, too. I have read that magnesium is good for muscle cramps, but I am sure the dehydration and calcium going does not help. I have been taking magnesium and it really seems to help the tight muscles around my foot and calf (I have heel spurs). My doc said to take magnesium and B5 for tha (don't know why the B5).

Hugs,
        Pans

Comment

Muscle cramps

A lot of times it's a Potasium defficenty, eat some bananas each day. That should help. IAD
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Muscle cramps

Oh boy - yes! Hopping about most of the night in agony.... but now it's stopped. Not had it (yet I'm sure - we all get it sometimes...) for the 78 days since AF!!!! Another bonus to notch up. Good Luck with yours... I tried everything including used wine corks in a sock dopwn by my feet under the bedding.... funnily enough that stopped working at the level of booze I was on in the last 2 years...!
            I sound flippant - I'm not...seriously, good luck and maybe your cramp will be your monitor of your able mod. levels...! (like less than now!!)
            Blessings - 'Feet' x
            :heart: c: :heart:
            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Muscle cramps

Alcohol is a diuretic, leading to dehydration, which causes the body’s cooling down system to work improperly. Becoming flushed is the way your body compensates, sending blood (which contains oxygen) to the skin to help cool off.

One of the symptoms of dehydration is fatigue. Because alcohol affects reason, judgment, and coordination, drinking alcohol and exercising makes a dangerous duo. Muscles cannot contract properly without certain valuable electrolytes, such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium: these are lost because of alcohol’s diuretic effect.

Hope that helps!
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Muscle cramps

Back when I was drinking I had terrible leg cramps all the time. Now that I have not been drinking for quite a while, the cramps are totally gone. Also a podiatrist friend told me that drinking some tonic water (without the gin!!) before bed helps and that did help me a lot. Seems that the quinine has a soothing effect on leg cramps. Best thing to do for leg cramps is to stop drinking again - but you already know that.
                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Working...
                X