Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't manage day 1

I can't do it.

I'm fine during the day but the minute I walk out of work I'm thinking of what I will drink tonight.

Hubby's on night shift so I can't even say that the temptation is there. I can't say it's boredom as I have the painting to finish (the lounge at home) and studying to do.

Why is it when you restrict yourself something it's ever so more tempting.

I've been drinking every night for the last 4 weeks. Normally I would have at least a day AF. I kid myself to believe that I am grown up and am entitled to drink after a stressful day at work. But deep down I don't want to. I drink because it seems easier to deal with than resisting not to.

How do I deal with taking one day at a time if I can't even get through day one of AF. I'm miserable in the evenings as I crave a drink - then if I do drink, I'm miserable in the morning because I had a drink.

I can't manage day 1

Lotus - see reply in monthly Abs thread!

Satori
    xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Just read it Satori.

Thanks. I don't have alcohol at home it's what I buy after work to drink. Therefore first step will be not to buy any.

Will try what you have suggested.

BTW loved the MIL one. LOL. You do have a way with your words....just feeling a bit down but I've got a smile now because of that and the joke re: drawers.

Mandy x

Comment

I can't manage day 1

You are most welcome -

We will see you tomorrow am starting on your day 2!
        You will be feeling SO good without the usual hangover - I know - remember!

You CAN do this!

Satori
        xxx
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Hey Lotus
          I have many of the same feelings in the evenings of "boredom" and have cravings too. May sound silly, but when I feel like that I tend to clean my house. Funny thing, I was havings lots of cravings last night and my house is spotless this morning! Sometimes, late at night i take the dog for a walk when the wiine rack starts calling my name. Seriously, I never thought I could even moderate - but every day gets a little bit easier. The MWO community is very helpful. There are always awesome people online and ready to chat with us when we're feeling badly. hang in there!

peace
          Red
          "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Hi Lotus,
            We`ve all felt as you do, contemplating your first night without a drink.

I used to drink a btl./wine every night, and was like "something possessed" the 1st night, I think due to the wine having became like a nightly "fix" that I simply had to have.

Also, despite there being loads of things awaiting my attention that I could have been working on, I felt so sorry for myself that I just spent the entire evening grumbling that I wasn`t allowing myself to have a drink.

The first night really is the most trying, but it does get easier with every single day. All of us who are AF thought at one time, that we couldn`t do it either. If we could do it........so too can you.

Saying a wee prayer to give you strength.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I can't manage day 1

You CAN do it Lotus.......You really can. If it means going to bed really early...do that.

Look forward to hearing about your day 2.

Bella xxxx

Comment

I can't manage day 1

:l Lotus,

I second what Bella said. Maybe increase your supplements, hypnosis, meditation? For me, meditation helps me ride out all kinds of feelings. I just notice the urge to drink and in a short while it is gone. Other times, when I feel like I want to drink I do something that is inherently joyous and undemanding like go for a walk in the garden or play the piano.

I know that you can do it. Believe in yourself, ok?

:heart: E

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Lotus, I also replied on the monthly abs thread.. Don

Comment

I can't manage day 1

I cant help much because you speak for me too. i feel exactly the same. fine all day then...............wam! possessed. just know your in good company here and everyone is at a different stage. xxmax
                    Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

I can't manage day 1

The first two nights of my first AF days I pretty much went to bed immediately after I got home so I didn't have to "live through the misery". Worked out okay, because I was so hungover from the prior night of drinking so was able to sort of sleep. After the first couple of nights it was much much MUCH easier, because then the good feelings of being sober emerge - lack of hangover, lack of guilt, increased confidence and hope, etc.
                      Hugs,
                      imatree

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Why is it when you restrict yourself something it's ever so more tempting

I think you said it all there Lotus.
                        Restriction and temptation are two sides of the same coin.
                        We're all here for one reason....
                        To restrict the temptation and eventually overcome it.
                        Fight it using all the tools you can.
                        I'm sure you know this.
                        You just got to do it..........

Best wishes...

Comment

I can't manage day 1

Lotus,

Do you have to go home after work? If your husband isnt there why not go study at the library or a non-drinking friends house? Being alone makes it easier to drink then when someone is watching.

Are you taking the supplements? If not, you might want to consider them as they will help you get over the cravings. If you are, you might need to change the dosages.

There is always someone here for you when you need them. Stay strong!

Comment

I can't manage day 1

I'd like to suggest that you eat something on your way home from work or something just before you leave work... Something in my belly turns the cravings off every single time ! Good Luck !!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Working...
                            X