Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Hi everyone:

I wrote several months ago, maybe late last year about trying to listen to some of my old music. Jimi Hendrix was an absolute favorite of mine, while blitzed to high heaven on the sauce. I tried to listen again back then, but I was not ready. The triggers were just too intense, and I could feel old drinking Neil getting a foot hold. CD put back into the archive for later.

Last night, on PBS here, they had a long PBS show on Stevie Ray Vaughan. OH SNAP!!! Oh how I loved to air guitar to his stuff while barely even able to stand. Such depth of soul stirring blues guitar riffs.

I could feel it coming back. Old drinking Neil was stirring deep within. Could I ever get to that place of blues depth and emotional release I once knew so well, while completely and totally sober??? It seems gone forever, and the trigger was there staring me in the face.

Of course, it was a lament for a bittersweet memory. I must remain totally sober. When Stevie would launch into "Little Wing", oh how being drunk on my ass would just make it seem so relevant to all that was.

Then I read a little about Stevie. He was a alcohol addict himself. He went into rehab, and became totally AF and drug-free for the remainder of his short life. You can see it in his face and physical condition during his 1989 concert appearance. Being AF was good to him in so many ways. Yet his music became even more intense and powerful.

Stevie, if you did it..... So can I.

RIP
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    October 3, 1954 ? August 27, 1990

How you could play that guitar.

Neil

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Did he die in a plane crash? I liked him a lot.
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Helicopter crash in Wisconsin right after a concert.

Pilot error, due to fog.

I work with a guy who was there at the time.

Neil

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Love those Texas guitar players !
        Stevie Ray Vaughan, his brother whose name slips me now--Plays for "The Fabulous Thunderbirds", Johnny Winters, his brother Edgar. Alvin Lee ( Ten Years After ). IAD
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Xtexan,

Just saw this thread.

Stevie wrote the song "If the House is a Rockin'" just for celebrating his sobriety.

He said he wanted people to know you can still have a fun sober.

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Xtexan

Jimi and Stevie are RIGHT at the top of my favourites list too!

SOOOO much of Jimi's style in Stevie's playing (not just in the Jimi covers he did!)

Texas Flood for example - could be Jimi playing.

Satori
            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I have to chime in here. Stevie Ray Vaughn was an amazing person and performer. I still sit around and listen to his blues, and I play his stuff on my bike while traveling. He is dearly missed.

bear
              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Xtexan, that was an extremely well written thread. You were able to convey a lot in that short post. I know exactly where you are coming from. Way to stay strong. :goodjob:
                where does this go?

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I already posted my response, but will repost.

Stevie Rae is one of my "idols" and I don't have very many. He could play guitar with the best and kicked this disease and came back.

His "Jimi" music was after much work and bleeding fingers. He put extra large wires on his guitar to mimic Jimi's music and found out that he could mimic the sound but that it cost him a lot in the fingers.

Just a little lesson in llife. Nothing comes easily, that which is difficult is worth it, and sometimes it doesn't matter. However, the struggle is worth it.

My husband and I both admire Stevie Rae Vaughn, which is amazing since we both admire much different music, in general. Stevie Rae was a true "icon."

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I love Stevie Ray too.

LOL! Cindy, he's one of the few things my Hubby & I agree on as well!:H
                    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                    X