Equal pay tennis question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a ludicrous fight with my dad about this. Female tennis players don't have to play as many "sets". They have to win 2 out of 3 instead of 3 out of 5. This is partly tradition but also I am sure as they have assessed things throughout the years, that 5 sets would be too grueling on a woman. I think the women as a gender are working to their top capacity for the sport so they should get equal pay despite the amount of sets they play compared to the men.

I am all for equal rights 100% but we are simply not built the same as men and my dad doesn't think the women should be paid the same if they win say, Wimbledon, or the U.S Open. Women are finally getting paid the same amount.

Women get to start to marathons earlier and lots of sports in the Olympics have different rules for women than they do men. Our brains are the same but our bodies are not and they never will be. We had a big fight about this and now they are coming over tomorrow for my b-day because hubby will be at work and they are bringing dinner. I would like some ammo because I am really PO'ed. I told him he was being discriminatory and he said I was!

I said well we're never going to agree on this so let's change convo and then he wanted to hang up. So I asked to talk to stepmom and she had no idea what we had talked about but I told her, and she agreed with him which is so pathetic to me. So I said to her well never mind then you and he are obviously are the same person. She didn't even get upset about that she just said that she was open to discussion and not fighting unlike him. But I still never got her on my side because she will never NOT side with him. He is her 4th husband has she not grown her own brain yet? Am I crazy? Shouldn't the women be paid the same? I know I need to let it go but please tell me what you think. Tell me if I am being an asshole. :h
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Sorry happy, but there is a reason. It's simple economics. Men's sports draw much more revenue that woman's sports. I don't think men will watch tennis unless it is one of those hot chicks, Ana or the other. You could tell I don't even watch it, but I know who they are, cause they are hot. Clearly, based on your avatar, you do watch mens tennis. Woman and men alike watch mens sports. Just look at the WNBA. I'm amazed it can still function. So, it's all about the agents. They can make sure there guys get paid X amount, cause they point to how much they bring in for the league. Same thing happens in all of sports. Don't pay a NFL all pro his money, he's going to another team. I can understand your frustration. Especially if you were being talked down to. Either way. Don't let em give you shit.

Also, you know I love you happy, but I just wanted to point out the reality of money and the sports world.
    where does this go?

Comment

You know, after thinking about it, maybe women's tennis does bring in as much money. I was just assuming they don't based on other sports. In that case, they should get paid based on how much revenue they generate. Like I said, it's all about supply and demand.
      where does this go?

Comment

Can't address your question because I am not much of a sports person, but I will disagree with your comment that our brains are the same. After this weekend with my husband I know they are not! . And I am not talking about the drinker's brain, I am talking about the difference between men and women's brains on day to day stuff.

And sadly I have to agree with Morrison. Men's sports are much more watched and so they bring in more revenue, so the men get paid more. Frankly, I think the amount of money they pay athletes is disgusting when people with the real important jobs are underpaid.

Hey Happy, isn't there a birthday in your horizon?????
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hey lushy. Good point that I forgot to add. They all get paid silly money. I just can't believe it. Thanks for throwing that out there. Also, you are dead on about our brains being different. We are very, very different. Wouldn't it be boring if we thought the same? Come on, there would be no reality TV shows, cause there wouldn't be enough stupid drama. Ugg, I hate those shows. Can't they just put good stuff on TV. Umm, nay, then we would't call it the idiot box. Witch takes us back to sports.
          where does this go?

Comment

Camper,

My first thought is that the women players are signing the contracts. Perhaps they are happy with them? If not, they can demand more or not play professionally. I assume they are happy because they keep playing.

Just a thought...

Comment

Have no fear Golf will one day be played equal to men and women. Most experts predict that non contant sports esp. golf will be played equal in the next 100 years. It is the same with tennis we will be dead but look back we did not even have the vote.

Sammys

Comment

Morrison you are right and the William's sisters have been gold for tennis. Cash cows. More than the guys over the last number of years. At least in this country.

Maria Sherapova?? Hello? Hot and good at the game and all over the TV, but you should not have to be hot. But that is America. No doubt though she is hot and maybe will draw tennis to US again.

I think the William's sisters reminded the world that tennis exists for women. And Serena is built like a brick shithouse and still would be hard pressed to do 5 sets. Should women take steroids to play tennis like men?

A lot of famous tennis players are attractive because I guess the sport is a sport generally for the affluent, good genes meet good genes - and so many of them get good and trained seriously at such a young age costs a ton of money for the families.
                Federer left his family in SUI at like 15 to another country for good coaching and training. He still had to go to school too. That costs serious money. If your family is not rich you will not likely be a world class tennis player, and that can include other sports too, but tennis is pretty highbrow. Still love it though and want to learn how to play. I want a racquet. Does anyone have an extra? :h
                Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Lushy!
                  Nobody is getting me. Physically women are NOT the same. They are just evening out the playing field in tennis I think. Still should get paid the same I think. Our brains our different but the same only meant that IQ wise and intellectually we are the same. Right? Wouldn't it be nice Morris if people paid more attention to this than Big Brother???

Comment

At Wimbledon a few years ago before equal pay, some of the top female players (inc Venus Williams) offered to play five sets. But the Wimbledon organisers said they didn't want the women to play five sets because it would totally screw up the scheduling to have longer matches. They have enough problems with the weather screwing up the scheduling as it is.
                    TV audiences are consistently higher for the Wimbledon women's final than the men's, and I believe the same has been true of the US Open over the past few years.
                    And of course some of the men's matches are over in three sets just like some of the women's so they're often playing the same number of sets.
                    BUT, in my experience, people who don't believe in equality simply don't believe in it and nothing you can say or argue about will change their minds.
                    I've learnt the hard way to steer well clear of discussing politics with my parents!
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

where does this go?

Comment

Another delete.
                        where does this go?

Comment

Hey Pattycakes!
                          You know my husband used to play semi pro tennis although he never made any money at it. (Bummer!:H )

So I read your thread and asked him what he thought. In summary, he said it boils down to advertising hours that men bring vs. women. (Basically what Morrison said). For example... Nike gets X hours more of advertising when the men play, so those men are compensated for it.

He thinks that with sports in general, advertising dollars are everything. Players are paid on how much is generated through advertising revenue. In all Grand Slam tournaments the men must play best of 5 sets. Women always play best of 3. He has played many 3-5 hour matches while the women are done in no more than two. Womens tennis is the only major womens sport other than golf that is self sustaining. Men generate more than double the advertising revenue of womens tennis although the last 9 years have been very good for womens tennis. HOWEVER, he does feel that in the corporate world, pay should be equal because it is equal work. He feels of the mind set that money generates everything in sports and the money is not there in most womens sports, and many womens sports are subsidized by the men's sports. Which is true.

As for me, and he agrees as well -- in the corporate world when it is about brains against brains, pay should be equal. Many times women are underpaid for the very same jobs (same hours, same work, etc) but not paid the same simply because they are women. He is highly against that, as we both are. He thinks it boils down to advertising -- that is who is ultimately paying the tennis players both men and women alike. The more time on the air, the more advertising and dollars for you and them.

By the way, I can get you a good racket for a great price if you want one!

Allie
                          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

I want male models to be paid the same as female models. Don't tell me they don't work as hard, cause I heard that work is pretty tough. Hey, let's take a moment to enjoy the fact that we don't have it as hard as these poor people.
                            where does this go?

Comment

Morrison why did you delete your e-mails?

Hey Prest!

I do know it's all about the advertising, I guess that is who ultimately pays them when they win, whomever is sponsoring a tournament- like this last one I watched Lever 2000 was one of the sponsors and if I see one more Lever 2000 commercial I will throw up, it was just too much.
                              It didn't make me want to buy the soap at all!

I may take you up on that racquet offer!

Morrison I totally agree about the male model thing. All those vacant beautiful people should make the same. And we should make the same as them to be compensated for not being as beautiful! We deserve something for our troubles! :H

Comment

Working...
                              X