Unproven Treatments for Autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who are interested. I just received this from a friend. It's from Webmd and have gotten a lot of responses from people here who know people who have autism:

Caution Urged for Autism Treatments
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

It's really hard for me to wrap my mind around how MANY people have autism. I can't even imagine how hard it would be not to be able to fully communicate with your daughter or son. I hope they are devoting a lot of resources to research this disease. Yes, Beaches, I had heard of most of those treatments, for some reason I have always been interested in autism, how the brain can do that, how to BREAK THRU. I think you and all those parents who cope with their daughter/son having this are very brave.:l

Comment

Well I will tell what's unproven at this point. Taking your 4 year old to a kindergarten doctors appt where he screamed the entire time. The entire wait room of parents and children just stared at us while he cried and screamed for a reason I could not figure out. His sister, a twin, also tried to hush him and comfort him to no avail. The nurses who know us so well also came out to the wait room to give him stickers (they know us pretty well b/c my twins were preemies born at 27 weeks). That worked for 2 seconds. SpongeBob is a nice distraction.
      They found us a room quite quickly where he continued to scream during the entire visit UNTIL my daughter found pictures in my purse of our family. That calmed him down and he stared naming all of them off for us. I was so frazzled I didn't even remember it was in my purse. Then came the shots. He went first. She hid under the exam table. We got home and he eventually passed out.

On a good note I did receive a call from an autism service dog foundation I put an application in with and they accepted us. I am so excited. They are sending us the contract. The only concern I have is the $11,000 they want us to raise. I live in a very small town. The woman from the agency assured me she had great tips to come up with the money. We shall see. The way I figure it is we are motivated and I will figure it out. Just a piece of my life
      Oh the wonders of Autism. Think Autism, Think Cure.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I will contribute to the doggy fund!

Comment

Why thanks Lucky. Of course I am just venting here. There are so many great things too about my son, it was just a bad moment, hour, eon, eternity, or so it seemed.

I am really excited about the service dog. Nothing bad can come of that, nothing.

Comment

Hey Beaches, start a website for raising the money. I raise money for St. Jude, and we have what is called the "heroes page" all you have to do is get someone to set up the site for you, and people can donate through the site. Search around the internet a bit and you will find one that will be compatible for your needs, then come on here and post the link....can't hurt. Plus you can send out the link through email to friends and family, it si a great way to raise money. Hope that helps ( I know you didn't ask, but I wanted to give the idea)
            It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
            James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Beaches maybe we can get a paypal account set up for you? RJ was going to do that for someone else. I will donate for the doggie too, you were very generous to me and we have to get each others backs always. You know I would do absolutely anything for you because we are in this world together and I admire your strength so much. You are a wonderful human being and a wonderful mother.

Thank you so much for sending that link. I always feel like I am not doing enough but it turns out the therapies I am using are the tried and true ones. The diet never worked and one of the other ones was suggested by a member would have required I bring Sophie to another state and there was no research to justify it. I feel better.

I am so sorry you had a bad time at the doc, the worst parts of this disorder is that you never know what to expect from your child or when, and the other is the reaction you get from others, despite the overwhelming numbers of kids that have it. It is so frustrating and exhausting and I wish more people understood it so that we didn't have to deal with so much bullshit all the time. :h
              Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Bump
                Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Beaches, If you can get something sorted then I would gladly donate too ........

Special children are a gift that I will always support, parents of special children lead very fulfilled lives......

Love & hugs, BB xx
                  sigpicXXX

Comment

Yes, I would donate to the doggy fund as well. When you have it set up post it!
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

I'm help BB so bump

Comment

Working...
                      X