Job Inteview - overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a phone interview for a new job on Thursday. It sounds like exactly what I would like to do. I'm a programmer, but this is in newer technology than I've worked in. I talked to the recruiter tonight to give me some prep topics that they will ask about. Gosh, I know most of the terms, but I don't really know the concepts well at all. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to read as much as I can to at least sound a bit knowledgeable about most of it.

On a good note, I have so much to do that I won't be drinking this week.
    Marcie

Best of British to you Marcie!!
    Just calm yourself........you know your stuff and are reading up............. go knock`em dead!!!

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Hi Memarcie,

Well, you can say that in the past you have been presented with learning opportunities and have met the challenge with determination and ease. And then give an example of when this happened.

One of the most important things employers look for is a good attitude (eg. are you reliable, are you willing to do the job, will you suit their culture?). A lot of the literature says 'skills can be taught'. Although this doesn't mean don't go in with no skills, it means there may be 'development potential' within you (you may also choose to say this).

Another thing is, they may send you on training courses. This is quite often a condition of employment for technically oriented positions.

A recruiter once said to me 'examples, examples, examples', always populate what you say with examples.

Do a Google search on 'job interview questions' to see what the most popular questions are.

Good luck!
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Marcie,

Take deep breaths. U CAN DO THIS!!

Good luck with the interview.

Just sound positive and remember, how many people out there have the skills they are looking for if it is new tech.

I run into that all the time. People want someone with and I know it has only been out there a little while. I am honest but let them know I have the experience to make it work.

Thinking of you,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I think many large companies use the STAR Interview Style

Tell me about a time when...

So you go to STAR method

Situation was...
          Task was..
          Action I took was...
          Result was...

You probably know this but be sure to view the website of the company so that you can form intelligent questions based on their own info

And ask for the job in closing

Just my suggestions

Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm trying to not be so freaked out about it, but it just happened so fast that I wasn't really prepared for this, but I hate to let this opportunity pass me by without giving it my best shot.

I doubt that training or at least training initially is an option. I've had pretty much all the training this position needs, just haven't had the chance to apply it at my current job. Of course training long term is certainly expected in my line of work. I've had a couple classes though out the past year as well as what I've studied on my own. This was also one of the points the recruiter brought up today to talk about during the interview.

I honestly think getting a new job is a huge step for me in conquering many issues, having an unchallenging, unrewarding job does not help me with my self esteem issues and in turn with drinking. So even if this one doesn't work out, I'm not giving up. I'll know what I need to work on to get the next one that comes along.

OK, back to reading. Wish me luck everyone.
            Marcie

Comment

Lucky is right (after all - the Pope is infallible - or something like that) Learn as much as you can about this specific company, what they do, what their needs may be etc. Someone who is good with computers is good with computers (which I know you are). Show some knowlege of the company and what they do, some ideas, and just be your wonderful self. I have so much faith in you. You have faith in you, too.

My goodness, I don't even have faith in my own son or husband to land a job. So you're hired in my book!
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Hey duck I have never heard that STAR thing- it must be a very CA thing! But thank you because I am going to use it.
                Marcie, a phone interview is much less stressful, try to chill out and study as much as you can. One thing I've tried to do, which may not be right for everyone, is act "in my head' like I don't care if I get the job or not. Helps me relax. Good luck hon I hope you get it. :h
                Mags I agree about the hubby thing.
                Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

NO NO NO!!! You are supposed to visualize yourself HAVING the job!!!

Comment

That STAR technique is part of Targeted Selection - you can google Targeted Selection for details.

Comment

ok, i googled for you. here is a link and provides sample questions many companies use

http://www.pacificu.edu/offices/hr/t...dSelection.pdf

Comment

Thanks Lucky, I'm kinda burned out after studying so much stuff tonight, but I'll read the questions tomorrow.
                        Marcie

Comment

First of all, it is great that you got the interview-- you are obviously a targeted candidate, which is a BIG step.

Second, everyone's advice here is great. I have been on the interviewing end many times and I can tell you that attitude is a major factor in deciding who to hire. I always fall for those who are enthusiastic, really seem to WANT the job, and who talk about and demonstrate their capacity to learn new things. Many jobs just must be learned-- there are hardly any jobs that a person can walk into and do the work right away. So, showing that you are a good study (and a fast study) can be the most important factor (together with a go get 'em attitude).

good luck to you.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Let us know how u think it went Marcie! I bet u knock them dead!:wd:

Comment

I've got everything crossed for you. Believe you will get it, that's what I'm doing right now.

My new job isn't the best paid in the world but I think it will be rewarding and job satisfaction is so important.

Do keep us up to date.

Kitty
                              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                              Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X