Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Dog question.

MWO,

I know many of you have dogs. I have a wonderful guy named Poulan (after the chainsaw) who showed up last year on my 50th B'Day.

I have only had two other dogs before, and they were both Great Pyrenees, whose temperament and personalities were very different from this little guy's.

We have 9 acres of woods, so fencing the entire property is not quite within our financial means. My husband does not want to fence in the back yard so that we can see through the woods, etc.

Poulan is a hyper lab/weimeraner/who knows what mix. I have never had a pooch with this much energy. He likes to run off and play. Unfortunately, this is not a good place for him to do that and additionally, I always get irritated with dog owners that let their dogs run around.

Has anyone ever used the "invisible fence" with their dog? Is this cruel? Does it work?

I dislike kenneling him all the time and keeping him on a chain when we are home but otherwise, off he goes to parts unknown. I am so afraid he will end up as "road pizza" or killed by one of the gun happy rednecks in the "neighborhood."

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

(Fencing won't work, well either, as this dog can dig a hole faster than anything I've ever seen. If only I could harnass that energy!!)

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Cindi, I've never used the invisible fencing, but I have friends that have it and they say it works great.

How fun to have a new dog. Congrats!
    Marcie

Comment

I'm sooo ticked at myself, I haven't had my coffee yet so maybe that is why I made a really long reply to you and then accidently lost it... Anyhow,,, I LOVE my guardian petsafe invisible fencing !!!!! Our 5 th dog Beau a choc. lab refused to stay in our yard so we invested the time and money into it.. Best thing we ever did !!!! Better than tying her up... IMPORTANT !!! Follow the 2 week training for your system... Do not rush your dog to confuse him... I wish you well.. We purchased an extra roll of wire so that when we installed our system we added an exta big area.. Plan your area out carefully.. Beau now has almost 2 acres to roam and she loves it !!! When we take her "beeper" off she knows she is either going in the truck or for a walk in the bush... I usuallly allow her to walk almost up to her line, have her sit, take off her beepr, lay it on the ground and then heel her over the invisible fence.. First couple times it took me having her on a leash with alot of treats.. Sorry for rambling... Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about this amazing product.. No , I don't get a commission.. Ha !! haaa !! It just works ! Take Good Care Good Luck and woof to Poulan ,

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

You also asked if it is cruel and we had a kid hold it ( offered him 5.00 ) while walking across the line.. He held on and held on.. I told him to just drop it right away if it really hurt... He said it didn't change in intensity or that and doggy will get a warning beep near the fence that "he" will learn... Do not sympathize or cuddle a dog when he or she is startled from the static shock and is learning the system... Allow them to learn it... and be totally aloof yourself... It is sooo much better than a dog getting hit by a car I always said.. It isn't painful but rather a good good startle... It is VERY humane...Again Take your time to allow your dog to learn the lesson and not be confused... In the book it will take you step by step Janie sweetie we know of some people that only spent 3 or 4 days training their dog and thought Wow I have a smarter dog that this book, so they let the dog loose in the area.. Sad story, dog broke through after neighbourhood cat, and was found dead a half mile down the road.... Please take the 2 weeks of training it is soo worth it...

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Janie and Niblet,

Thank you!!

Yes, I would be heart broken if I lost Poulan to an accident or running off and not finding his way back.

I didn't ask or look for Poulan, he found us, and he sure has made a place in our hearts. We want to be "good doggy owners" and care for him as best we can.

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

D2, I have 5 dogs and if expense is an issue, just remember invisible fence is expensive not so much the line but, the collar with the senors and the replacement batteries. I let my guys run our 2 plus acres ( they never leave the yard, house dogs) with the exception of Talulah. She is a black lab and will chase anything and is a running fool! she has a 100 yard lead in the back yard which gives plenty of room to run and interact with the others. She dosen't mind at all, and we play lots of games of catch. I considered the invisible fencing just for her. Honestly I could see her saying in her mind "I'll take the hit" and break through and I would never see her again. See, I found her as a stray wondering in the middle of the road. She was in such bad shape I never want to think about her that way again. Mommy's a bit paranoid! I know you will do what is best for Pouland. Just wanted to share
            Smiles
            Mar

Comment

I have a Papillion. Talk about energy! LOL. Rocky has only two speeds, full speed and asleep. We too have an invisible fence. It was funny training him. At first he would only stay right in the middle of the yard he was so scared after being shocked once. LOL. When getting near the outside it hums so your dog know it's getting there before he gets to the point he gets shocked. You can put the intensity up to whatever is needed. We did install it ourselves and except for a lawnmower accident have had not problems and it's very easy to repair. We paid about $100 for the "fence" part and it was $25 per collar (we have a tenant who has a dog that uses it to so she bought one for her dog)

Also, going other places. When we take Rocky Camping or other places that we let him run free we put a shock collar on him. It's kind of like Pavlov's dog. There is a bell you ca sound THEN the shock. We only had to do that a few times and he almost ALWAYS will come back to us just hearing the bell. We rarely have to shock him, tho once in awhile we have to hit the bell twice.

Modern technology, aint it grand!

Comment

I don't have invisible fencing myself but hear it's great!

There are some people that have left their dog in the yard alone and drove off and of course their dog will get away. It's not meant to be an electric babysitter.
                But everyone that I have talked to has liked it.

Let us know what you decide and enjoy your doggy

Comment

I have the Invisible Fence and I have 3 dogs, I LOVE it. I agree with Niblet on the "Do not Coddle" thing. It requires you to be strong for the first 3 days after that, you are home free. You and your dog(s) will love it.
                  Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                  X