Addictive Thoughts and Cravings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of allowing ourselves to be led and trapped by these addictive thoughts and feelings, we should just allow them to disappear as soon as they form, like letters drawn on water with a finger....

This sounds so much easier said than done, but I am finding that if I can just sit with the thought for a moment, acknowledge that I am having a craving and it is just a craving (a thought), then it is easier for me to pass through it. Thoughts are just thoughts, they only have power if we give them power and attach them to an emotion.

This is what I am working on right now and I just wanted to share...

Namaste,

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

That's a good idea. I'll let you know how it works.
    AF since 1/1/2011

Comment

...like letters drawn on water with a finger...very poetic, I like it!
      Yes, cravings as thoughts is a good one, because a thought passes, and another thought takes its place, hopefully not connected to the craving thought. Can we influence and determine that all-important following thought? By changing our physical environment, for example? Your thoughts on this?

Anna
      IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
      Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

MM- I really like that. Something I need to work on as well.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Yea....me too....
          Mike...

Comment

Me, too!!

I will practice it.

Thanks,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

That is profound. Thank you!

Rob2
              Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.--- Dale Carnegie

Comment

Excellent mm!. Thank you!

Comment

Thanks, I like this. I"m working hard on trying to let go of sabotaging thoughts and I'll add this.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

the oracle has spoken!
                    "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

wonderful image - a finger writing on water

Namaste
                      Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Very good advice and yes, easier said than done. Im on day 3 AF right now, and as some as you know, with a couple of days sober, you start getting clarity. It makes sense that patterns have to be broken in order for change to occur. Otherwise time just passes, and nothing changes. Im working on those changes now. Its hard, but at least Im trying.
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

The Londoner;190815 wrote: ...like letters drawn on water with a finger...very poetic, I like it!
                          Yes, cravings as thoughts is a good one, because a thought passes, and another thought takes its place, hopefully not connected to the craving thought. Can we influence and determine that all-important following thought? By changing our physical environment, for example? Your thoughts on this?

Anna
                          Thats' the toughie! The goal is to widen the gap beween our thoughts insted of passing from one thought to the next uncontrollably - forever bouncing about. Before meditation my mind was like a bad radio in a car where someone else had control of the dial and was going from one station to another. That is where our mind starts to run us. Medtaion allows us to slow our minds, to watch it and start the process of detachment from it. We then become more of a watcher, not a slave - so when we are in the physical world and our mind starts to run amok - which it does, then we can slow down, take that pause between thoughts, or just watch.. not become so emotional. It's easier said than done, that is for sure!! But it is worth the practice. In the end, I would say it'is more about letting go than influencing... So get some popcorn and enjoy the show!

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

interesting thoughts here. I would just add that there is a difference between psychological cravings and physical cravings. And the process of conquering them is very different. However, even the ideas you are talking about here can certainly help one overcome the physical cravings, as well, though one might need some physiological help on the side.

The goal is control, and no matter how you look at it, the mind is a major actor.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                            X