X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Thread 29th August!

Oh gosh, i nearly forgot to post it!

Hello everyone,

Today i did yoga... very nice. The instructor asked us to do 'group' work, which meant sitting, stepping and everything else you can imagine on a partner you had just met in the class! Very funny. And fun.

Now, i am feeling a little sore, but good. I am looking forward to going to gym tomorrow to do my first weights workout in almost a year.

Tell me how you're going...

Niblet, i'm sure you'll be the first to post
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Hi all
    Well, this seems to be an oasis of calm in a board full of craziness today. Cycled an hour to work this morning. I might be lazy and get the bus home, although I probably need to crank things up a bit - I've been exercising a bit more than usual, haven't had a drink for over three weeks (yay!) but haven't lost any weight to speak of (boo!). What's the best exercise for weight loss anyone? And how much/how often?
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Isn't it just too darned early for exercise, grumble, grumble. :eeks: I had a pretty sleepless night, between one of my very yappy dogs and (I think) a UTI keeping me running to the toilet on an imaginary job. Exercise is the last thing on my mind right now, but I will do it later on, probably my elliptical. I try do at least a half hour of anything these days, but in my younger days if I didn't get at least an hour of cardio in, I thought I hadn't accomplished anything. Hi to all you exercisers, I am not new here (anymore...three days old, yippee) so thought I would just jump in!

Comment

Hello pups, so great to see you here too !!! awesome for you !!! Welcome !! I was laying in bed last night guys, get this... almost asleep .... then I almost sat bolt up in bed, " Damn I forgot to post my WORKOUT " !!! silly eh ? ha Anyhow i did only 30 minutes on the eliptical and bike along with abdominals on the floor.. after having 2 baby via C-section it sure plays havik with your stomach muscles !!! Good for you enjoy all that wonderful group Yoga.... Sounds like so much fun !!! With all the cabbage rolls I've been eating lately you wouldn't want me in your "group".. LOL...Enjoy the weights and take it slowly, to allow your body to say," that feels good or maybe that's a bit too much just yet"... Good Stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!
        Marshy do you cycle on a stationary bike or out of doors? For myself since Mid April (when I went AF for almost 3 months now I mod) I have lost 12 lbs... I'm now 110 lbs. which is what I weighed before we had children.. Just not as toned perhaps.. giggle giggle... Being that I'm 43, it is more work to keep in shape I find...
        Speaking of workout, I gotta get my bum off this chair and "get er done" You're all just wonderful to enjoy everyday !!! talk to you later, if not then tomorrow.. today is "winey Wednesday which is when hubby and I have a couple of our very own home made fresh fruit wine.. Today is chokecherry. Gotta Fly, Hugs All !!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Niblet you put me to shame! I'm two years younger than you, haven't had kids and need to lose, ahem, a bit more that 12lbs. I just need to get tougher with myself, I think I'm being a bit half-hearted.
          Enjoy your wine!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Niblet
            Member Join Date: Apr 2007
            Gallery: 0
            My Mood:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again it's meee.... My battery in my heart rate monitor gave up, so I'm really missing it today... Hubby has to go to town so he'll see about getting another one... It lasted well over a year, maybe even 2 years.. Polar brand...
            I think that I'll stick to 30 minutes on the eliptical and bike for the most part... It just seems to "feel " right.. I know for myself, if I do too much I really try to avoid excercise the next time... 30 min is enough plus I do my abdominals on the floor and then bowflex usually 4 times per week... Don, You can run for 30 min ? Good for you !!! I can slowly jog just a wee bit and walk alternately otherwise I really hurt my hips and back... urg... I soo wish I could run... I love to do EVERYTHING in HIGH speed !!! My hubby and I won't even go for a walk together... sad eh? I have to try to force myself to slow down all the time and he feels like I'm just trying to race him... Oh well our labs can keep up !!! Hugs guys !!

~Niblet~

Niblet
            View Public Profile
            Send a private message to Niblet
            Send email to Niblet
            Find all posts by Niblet
            Add Niblet to Your Buddy List

? Previous Thread | Next Thread

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Hiya,

Change, Marshy, Luv & Niblet,

I started a new job yesterday so I haven't made it to the gym since last Friday. But....... I am going to cycle to and from work each day at least. 7 miles round trip so better than nothing. I figure 780 miles a year must count for something eh :H

Niblet an eliptical is on my list of things to buy when I win the Lottery, great non impact aren't they? and for me so much easier than running (especially with a rather ample chest like mine).

Kitty
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
              Confucius

Comment

Hi Marshy,

I think lots of cardio is good for weight loss. And also, cut down on your calorie count. As they say, you have to put more out than you put in.

Welcome luvmypups... very cute!

Niblet, lol.

Good news: the renovations are going to take place at the apartments i live in, so i can finally sell my unit next year AND MOVE OUT OF HERE! Incase nobody knows, this has been a bone of contention in my life for quite some time now. I didn't really want this place, i bought it out of panic and paranoia (i had my mother on my back saying that i should buy a unit etc.)... so, now, i can finally BE FREE! I don't know what i will do next. I had my paranoid mother asking me where i will live when it's sold etc. and i just said, "i don't know, living in a tent would be better than living here".

Anyhow, have a good day everyone and i'll look forward to reading all your exercise exploits later on

Change
                One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hey Guys / Gals,

Been quite more busy at work, started a new job this week and unfortunately excersise has taken a bit of a back seat. I was going really strong for 2 solid weeks, no drinking , jogging, biking, strenght training etc.. then after 2 weeks, I measured the width of my abs, ie: the beer gut, and did not loose anything, not even a 1/4 inch after all that effort of eating right, not drinking beer and exercising..so that kind of bummed me right out. I was dissapointed, especially since I read about others who just stopped drinking only, no excersise, and lost like 5 pounds in the first week .. I'm thinking, I weigh the same, I measure the same, it's been 2 weeks and I'm working my ass off..

But, I know that it will take more time and I have to stick with it.. been slacking off the last 5 days.. got to get back at it.

As for what burns more fat.. Muscle burns fat. so, the more muscle mass the more fat burn. Of course in it's simplest form, it does all boil down to calories in, calories out, how you get there is the difference. So, if you do cardio and burn more than what you eat in a day you will loose weight, but you also need to do resistance training ie: using weights, to build muscle mass which in turn burns fat long after your workout ends.. up to 36 hours after, that's called the afterburn. Do low repetitions but use more weight, don't hurt yourself of course, but " push " yourself within your limits. A combination of high cardio with some weight excersises in the same session is the best way to loose weight in my humble but well researched opinion.

Cheers,

Riker
                  Do or Do Not, There is No Try - Yoda

Comment

Been playing hookey

Haven't been logging into this thread for a bit. I have taken about a week off, except for sporadically walking my dog. Have been having a bit of trouble w my right hip - hope I am not going to be an early candidate for a hip replacement or something - it does act up from time to time.

So, went back to Curves today for the first time in over a week, was trying to give the hip time to settle down. It went well, but hip was aching again for a bit tonight, now not so bad.

Anyhow, I agree w Riker, a combo of weights and cardio is best.

If any of you ladies have tried Curves that is exactly what it is, a really efficient 1/2 hour workout, which works like a damn. I have been a great exerciser all my life, and it has shown me the best results of anything I have ever tried. So now I stick to that, and just walking. In the summer I just walk the dog, in the winter I go and walk at a walking track in our local sportsplex.

Curves is having a personal challenge right now, something designed to keep you motivated and interested, and I signed up for it. Goal is to not miss a workout for an entire month, plus commit to 4 personal challenges from a list of 13 things you can choose from. Should make things interesting, and fun.

Happy exercising, everybody!
                    The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Riker,

I've heard it takes up to 6 weeks to experience any results from exercise, eg, weight loss and improved tone.

Comment

hello - i'd like to join. My plan is to exercise 3 times a week and run a ten k race at the end of October. I did a 5k in July but have not doen a great deal since then.I want to lose 2 stone and would like to be well on my way to losing a stone by mid October.
                        Niblet you ar an inspiration, I have no kids am 34 and need to lose 2 stone!
                        I have also quit smoking, my plan is to quit alcohol for 2 weeks until I'm over the worst with nicotine cravings and then to moderate - weekends only.
                        I will be off for 45 mins cardio tonight.
                        I had a session with a trainer and he said to get quick results(i.e.e if you want to lose wieght for a date say in 3 weeks) do 45 mins hard cardion 3--4 times a week.
                        He said weights are important but if you have a very imminent goal they won't show their benefit for a bit.
                        ok will catch you tomorrow xx
                        one day at a time

Comment

Hello everyone.

I didn't post here yesterday so am doing it this morning.

I overslept so didn't get my morning walk in. So, I decided lunch time was a good time to do it and walked during lunch. It was HOT here so that made it kind of tiring but it felt good to do it.

I have also started using the stairs at work instead of the elevator, which sounds simple but I do feel the effect by the end of the day.

Take care all,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                          X