Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive Thinking

Hi All-

I'm not much into starting threads but Hart wanted some new threads so that was my push.

I read this article this morning & it reinforces what I had already used while deciding to go AF. I changed my mindset from blaming & bitterness to enjoying all the small things that life has to offer me now that I'm sober. It's taking those "why me" and turning them into "happy me". Never again do I say "look at all I've missed" to "wow-glad I didn't miss that". I have been a pessimist most of my drinking life & it's probably due to the fact that I viewed that vodka drink as always being half empty.

Here are 4 suggestions to make your thoughts work in your favor:

1. Retraining your brain!

"Focus on what you want instead of what you lack" says Traci Wood, PH.D..
    For example, instead of saying "I'm tired of not being able to quit drinking so much" say "Today I want to not drink".

2. Dreaming Big!

Imagine your ultimate goal-being AF or moderating-jot it down on a card and post it in a conspicuous spot. Folks who write down goals & re-read them achieve successes sooner!
    That's a hard one since we have visitors who would see it but what I did was get a notepad for the fridge that has a tree on it & it says "Don't Quit!". It's my secret reminder to never give up.

3. Following the Golden Rule.

You wouldn't call your best friend clumsy or slow, so why say similar things to yourself? "Positive self-talk can actually make good things come true," says Wood. Tell yourself you are strong and good person and that you can do it & deserve it. Pretty soon you'll start acting that way.

4. Filtering out the negative!

Lots of us are in the habit of dwelling on what went wrong-which makes us feel bad! To break out of negativity, pick a word that makes you happy and repeat it over & over whenever you catch yourself being pessimistic. "This is 'thought switching' pushes out the negative, allowing the positive to come in" says Woods. It's best to learn from our mistake & move on. There is no point in dwelling in the past, it's gone & done. Each day brings forth new opportunities. So think of a positive word & repeat it.

Don't worry be happy!

taken from Woman's World. Attached files [img]/converted_files/11965=1686-attachment.gif[/img]
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Positive Thinking

Great thread Breez!

Comment

Positive Thinking

Love it Breez!! It is all so true.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Positive Thinking

Great thread Breez!

Comment

Positive Thinking

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Positive Thinking

Thats a good one Breez:

Some of my own internal mantras:

1. Today I will be sober.
            2. Today I will heal up.
            3. Today I will get healthier.
            4. Today I will learn more about myself.
            5. Today I will become stronger.
            6. Today I will do better for myself.
            7. Today I will be better than ever.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

It works!!

Neil

Comment

Positive Thinking

This is not new for me, but a GREAT reminder and also put in a very nice concise way. Thank you for this.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Positive Thinking

Funny you should mention this. The other day i sat down and sort of 'channelled' these thoughts. I am going to live by them. Am highlighting them in blue so they stand out.

1. Don't surround yourself with people or things that aren't healthy for you

2. Don't lower your own standards. Don't buy into bad behaviour. Maintain a demeanour of respect and brightness at all times.

3. Remember, for every 1 person that will screw you around, 12 or 13 won't, so don't change who you are out of fear of being hurt. Start to give people the benefit of the doubt. Learn to trust.
                One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Positive Thinking

Thank you so much for that Breez.

I find that the one mantra I need is "I will not drink today." Then everything good just falls into place on its own.
                  Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Positive Thinking

I am listening to my affirmations right now from mythoughtcoach.com on my ipod

Comment

Positive Thinking

You are one very warm breez... Thanks

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Positive Thinking

excellent, I have been struggling to achieve my goals, feeling anxious, stressed low self esteem. My mind can't be controlled by anyone else apart from me so it's good to read this to reinforce that. I am reading Susan Jeffers little book of confidence each day at night before bed.
                        it's got very easy positive affirmations e.g. "whatever happens I'll handle it", "it's all happening perfectly", "I am powerful and loving and have nothing to fear", "I let go and I trust".
                        I am trying to get into the habit of doing affirmations each morning and evening - I slept the best I ever have for a long time the first night I did this.
                        I am on day 3 of no alcohol for 2 weeks, no cigarettes and trying to get back into my healthy lose weight eating and exercising regime. I'm very irritable, getting a cold and tired and don't feel very sociable - when does this lift, can't remember from other times.
                        one day at a time

Comment

Positive Thinking

I feel positive today as well and I intend to keep it that way. Been very silly recently and there is no reason at all for that. So no more!! No more drinking, no more negative thoughts, just going to be nicer to myself - full stop!

Comment

Positive Thinking

My reply sent with much love:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ead-14166.html

Comment

Working...
                            X