Wedding cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding cake

A work colleague got married a week ago and she had brought in her wedding cake. Only after I had finished the cake I get told it had in it, rum, white wine, red wine, port, sherry and brandy in it.

Does this mean I've have to start again?

Wedding cake

No the alcohol content was mostly cooked away. You didn't knowingly drink, doesn't count!.

Comment

Wedding cake

Wow what kind of cake was that??? And I say no you would never have to start over in anyway shape or form because of that cake.

Sammys

Comment

Wedding cake

Like Hart said, the alcohol cooks out of it. My vote would be NO.... That was some kind of cake!!!!

Comment

Wedding cake

Yes Lotus - start over - how can you possibly claim to be AF after that lot!?????
          Go on - right back to the start!!!!
          Right NOW young lady!!!
          In fact - go to your room this MINUTE and stay there until I say it is OK to come out!

Only joking - of course you don't have to start again!
          Alcohol boils well 100 degrees C - The cake would have been cooked at higher than that temperature for quite some time.

ie there is NO alcohol left!
          The only thing left is some of the higher boiling point flavours from the drinks.
          Trust me - I'm a chemist! (Well Biochemist to be strictly honest!)

Love

satori
          xxx
          "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Wedding cake

I am told it is called a black cake.

I felt really guilty about it eating the cake. But it's reassuring to know there was no alcohol in there or it had burned off by the cooking.

Ok so still on day 16 AF.

Thank you.

Comment

Wedding cake

No one starts over-they just keep moving forward. You ate burned off alcohol unintentonally-you didn't drink it.

Geesh-what a cake! Was it good? All that alcohol mixed sounds nausiating!
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Wedding cake

I can't say that something you ate unintentionally would count Lotus. Pat your back on a job well done, and let it go.

At any rate, I would never give up alcohol in cooking--sorry--there's no such thing as an AF Bordelaise sauce, and occasionally I'm going to eat that. I keep cooking wines in my pantry and use them when I'm making something that calls for them, sorry, chicken or beef broth just doesn't cut it!! Don't think I'll be making that cake though!
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Wedding cake

Alcohol has a boiling point which is much lower than water. This means it evaporates when cooked, so anything COOKED that contains wine etc., probably doesn't actually contain alcohol. Any food that has wine etc. added to it after cooking does contain alcohol.

Lecture over - just one word of warning to those who cook with alcohol - beware to not inhale the steam while you are cooking if you don't want alcohol in your bloodstream.

So, NO, you do not need to start again because the cake didn't actually contain any alcohol and even if it did, it doesn't count because you didn't know.

Comment

Wedding cake

Did it taste good? It sounds like it would be awful!

Comment

Wedding cake

Lotus,
                      Did you eat the WHOLE cake? lol

You have to wonder who makes up these recipes.
                      Probably the same person who came up with Red Velvet cake.
                      You're ok ~ good job on day 16 by the way!

Happier

Comment

Wedding cake

Lotus: Congrats on 16 days AF. I think the various chemists/biochemists have covered the alcohol issue fairly competently. I'm just wondering why these folks wanted such a variety of spirits in their wedding cake.

Comment

Wedding cake

was the cake in the shape of a rocket, rocket fuel cake?
                          "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Wedding cake

What's wrong with flour, sugar, eggs, etc. I hope it tasted good. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that one! And no, it doesn't count.
                            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Wedding cake

Sounds yummy (despite the alcohol-since it does cook out). And it sounds like a gourmet-prepared cake to me. Whomever paid for that cake is most likely quite wealthy.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X