GETTING THROUGH AN AUSSIE W/E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, following the threads and getting used to being here ... and seeing how you're all going ...

I'm on day five AF, with weekends being the main danger area for me at present ... Was drinking daily for most of last year, and before going into hosp in Feb. Three months off - and then my birthday hit, and I was in Sydney (free from my home controls) for the w/e. It was easy to say: well, I'm on a mini-holiday...

Since then I've been able to convince my hubby that I'm fine to drink one day over the w/e (he begs to differ) - and it was becoming routine again ... I would love to moderate but like Starlight (in an earlier post), I'm not sure if it's a feasible option for me ... I escalate (was starting to look for it during the week again) - and three times in detox is enough for one lifetime I think. Part of what's led me here is my desire to acknowledge that it's problem behaviour.

Have been doing some hypnotherapy on CD (taking supps - although not kudzu or anti-craving meds yet) and feeling pretty good (waiting for the book to arrive), but a little rattled at an approaching w/e - and I guess also, I haven't formally made the commitment that I'm having a period of abstinence. I keep wandering to the 30 day abstinence threads and hanging around ...!

This is what I find happens: As the days pass without drinking, and I get some distance from the problem, I lapse into selective amnesia - and I rationalise that I'm not all that bad ...

Kyna
    Kyna

Hi Kyna, Yup, how to survive an Aussie weekend. I wish I could come up with a really great answer. But I can't. It's really going to be a challenge for me tonight, there are a few friends coming over to watch the Crows v Magpies and there will be wine and beer aplenty. I have had a few days AF and am feeling quite daunted already. I feel like just joining in, but I know that I will feel as bad as I did last Monday (I drank two bottles of wine on the previous Sunday!!). So, armed with experience, I plan to use tactics that were suggested here on this board! (ie leaving little notes to myself to be found when I reach for that wine glass).

I am sorry if this doesn't really help you much, just to let you know that you are not alone!

Comment

Thanks Bluebell,

Sounds like you're w/e's almost in the hard basket too! Have you committed to abstinence for a while? Perhaps we can muster through this with some support?

I'll be looking out for you!
      Kyna

Comment

Hi Kyna, JUST KEEP busy!! plan every minute of the weekend. Don't go anywhere there is booze. See movies, go shopping, whatever - walk a mountain!!!! Write down what you want to achieve in the next two years, then the next 5, then the next 10.... do any of them involve being a drunken lush? Drink water. Exercise...... ANYTHING!
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Kyna, the most commitment I could put to abstinence was to make it to the weekend! I am trying to moderate and was going really well, until last Sunday. I have been AF since and am a bit worried about having a few drinks tonight (which I know I will, it's just a case of being careful).

As Flip says, keeping busy is an excellent way to handle the weekends. I have been doing a lot of gardening the past few months - it's amazing how, if you have a project in hand, you forget about alcohol for a while.

If gardening is not your thing then hit the shops (even for a bit of window shopping), do you sew? Have you got a hobby that's been put on the shelf for years? - get it going again. It sounds too easy (or too hard) doesn't it? But if you have been in the habit of building your weekends around alcohol it is so difficult to get out of that habit - especially here in Oz! And, it will soon be barbie time - help!

Comment

Some good points Flip,
            I can definitely confirm that drunken lush is not on my goals list!
            Already getting some head stuff happening though ... I have a SMART Recovery meeting on Monday so it would be great to rock up to that with a clear week AF. SMART advises to DISTRACT, much like you have ... I guess the point is about the commitment. That's what I need to work on.
            Kyna

Comment

Bluebell,

There's plenty to occupy me if I'm honest. Planning to go to the library in the morning with my daughter,and then get some DVD's out for the w/e. I went on a muffin kick a few weeks ago (before the b'day booze) - there were just trays and trays of them everywhere. Jeez! said hubby, Do you have to be obsessive about everything?!

I think I need to get off the computer though right now. I used to drink here a lot - but I love writing, and hanging out in my study ...!
              Kyna

Comment

make some new habits for when you are on the puter.... a bowl of carrot sticks and a tonic water? just a suggestion.

Comment

:yuk::yuk: Carrot sticks?????????????

Comment

ok, that was a bad idea, I am trying to help! lol

Comment

hey, some of us LIKE carrot sticks.

But, yeh, get what you mean. I tend to get wrapped up in whatever I am doing at the moment, so if you can find a way to get involved in a big project far away from the fridge/liquor cabinet, it might help (does wonders for me). Also, even if you do slip and drink a little, you will be very conscious of it and I think you will control it.

Muffins sound like a great idea. (Have you been watching Grey's Anatomy?)-
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                      X