Labor Day - acknowledging the labor of fighting this fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day - acknowledging the labor of fighting this fight

We Americans have a holiday today, called Labor Day, to recognize working people. Of course it is meant to acknowledge the kind of work for which one earns a living... but I would like to acknowledge the labor we all put forth on a daily basis - sometimes even moment to moment - to buck the booze.

Here are a few definitions for "labor" from Webster's dictionary ...

1) To exert one's powers of body and mind especially with painful or strenuous effort.
    We sure as hell do that, don't we.

2) To move with great effort.
    Each of us has made the monumenal move to be honest with ourselves about having a problem with alcohol, which likely always requires great effort.

3) To be in the labor of giving birth.
    Most importantly - with this journey we are on, we are rebirthing our Selves. Labor pains and all, for sure, we are bringing into life the soul beneath the addiction, the heart beneath the pain, the mind beneath the madness, the spirit beneath the hopelessness, the love beneath the shame.

I hereby honor each and every one of us for our labor in the struggle to find our way out.

"Learning to love yourself is the definition of change." - Hugh Prather.
    I'm beginning to understand that learning to love myself is the key to undoing my addiction. And if that ain't labor I don't know what is.

What is most laborious for you on this journey?
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!
Working...
X