Burning Man 2007 AF!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had fun but dearly missed my loverly friends here at MWO. 6 days was a loooong camp for me.

i defied the nay sayers....who said I'd return with a mohawk, wearing a grass skirt and smelling of banana vodka and hemp chanting something about twinkies...but Lo!! behold I am victorious. Yes I have posted some pictures on the MWO gallery and more to come. Gory details as follows:

Burning Man festival at black rock city. when the festival comes it turns an unpopulated stretch of desert into the 3rd largest city in the state. More than 45 thousand attended this year.

and YES.....I did it drug and alcohol free!!!!!!!!!! must tell you it was hard since the couple we went with are big party animals and the smell of booze was annoying. the smell of "incense" in the air was kind of nice though even though I don't participate in that reminds me of some groovy parties my folks had.
    sure hope my night-time picutres turn out...just simply amazing place at night. they have these flame thrower 'art cars' that cruse around blinking an incredible array of lights, pounding out music and blasting 60 foot flames into the sky. VERY surreal and much like the Mad max beyond thunderdome kind of party with a high-tech twist.
    I would certainly have been better prepared for the wind and dust storms if I had simply realized that mother nature had a death warrant out for us...holy crap! it was about a zillion degrees of brutal sun and then 50mph winds destroyed our tarps and blew so much dust that you could literally not see 5 feet in front of your face....white out!! when that happened people on bicycles were crashing everywhere and the city stopped in it's tracks. very post-apocolypic wierd.

yes, some butthole torched the 'man' but is now in police custody. they spent the rest of the festival rebuilding the man which was good. The arson attemp happended as we were on our way out there watching the lunar eclipse which was very nice. the moon took on this amazing textural look to it and got deep red.

it was difficult to cook there but the grillmeister was not to be stopped! we had gourmet goodies in the dirt to preserve our strength to stay up on our graveyard party schedule. (I'm not a night owl)

people were there from all over the world...I heard Slavic languages, Japanese, Italian etc. Yes, lots of nudity and other woodstock-like expression. some really neat music and some of the folks that came brought sound systems that would absolutely shame most nightclubs....complete with huge geodesic domes and pyramids light up with laser light shows and powerfull lighting....groovy baby!!

during the 6 days out there I saw NO fights or violence of any kind! that impressed me a lot. saw some people making love in vehicles etc but they were at least making some attempt to be private. yes there was perverted type of sexual experimentation going on that others reported seeing but most of it was in private. Dx and I got a real bicycle workout and it's the only way to see the place at night since it's sooo huge and the only vehicles allowed are certified 'art cars'. some of the art cars looked like ships...Spanish Galleons etc. glowing and floating effortlessly across the dark playa.....

the funny thing is that since I'm so square nobody believed I was really going..not even my own sister...ha! it's good to operate outside of one's comfort level once in a while. that's really what we are doing here anyway to be AF isn't it? get out of our comfort zone and live from a different perspective.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Sounds wonderful and I am SO proud of your success going AF!!!! Glad you had a nice time with DX too. It was much deserved by both of you.

Comment

Hi D,

Sounds amazing, and well done on AF ........

But I have to be selfish ...........

I MISSED YOU ....... THINGS HAVE BEEN ROUGH IN BOOP LAND ......

Nice to have you back,

Love & Hugs, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

rough in Boopland? do tell?? big hugs for you XXXXXX!!
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

A huge Congrats to you Determinator to stay straight at such an event! Very impressive.
          And thanks for sharing some details... I've always heard of burning man but never imagined myself bold enough to be able to go. This is the first first-person account I've ever had - great reading it!
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Garlic, the minute I saw that someone tourched the icon I posted a thread on the subscriber forum. I was thinking of how you were doing and if it was a fun time

Glad your back,
            Sammys

Comment

Having you back with such a positive report is like a breath of fresh air !!! Your are amazing !!!!!!!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

thanks Sammys, yes it was fun despite the harsh environment. and yes many cloves of garlic found their way into the dutch oven.
                Ima, love your new "you". thanks Luvs, Niblet et al....
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

It's so wonderful to see you back, Deter. Burning Man sounds just awesome (except for the heat and dust storms)! You must be so proud of staying sober through it all.

Hugs,

Kathy
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

D,
                    Glad you are back, missed you on the forum and in chat. It kindof sounds like trying to stay sober at a Jimmy Buffet concert/festival that lasts for 6 days...I don't think I could do it so I'm proud of you. I enjoyed the photos.

Glad you and DX had some quality time too.

Melissa
                    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Hi D/DX.... the pics are great! Wot a place!

How do you post pics please? Can you let me know? There's the matter of folk wanting to see my wedding hat and the proof that, yes, the dress did stay up!!!!!

BB - you can do pics too I think....any help?!??!

Thanks
                      F x
                      :heart: c: :heart:
                      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Wow, very cool guys!
                        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Det,
                          Congrats on staying sober the whole time, I knew you would - you and Dx look so great together, and those are AWESOME pics! I heard the event attracted 47000 people, did it feel like that many?
                          Welcome back!
                          "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Deter-Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sounds like you and your love had quite and adventure.

Off to view the pics!!

Comment

It's great to hear that you had enjoyed yourself in a challenging environment (in more ways that one). Wow. Welcome back.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X