want it to stop now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want it to stop now!

How do I stop saying to myself I will start tomorrow? I have cut down heaps, Im fine not drinking in social situations but the drive thru bottle shop seems to call out my name and I find myself with a beer in the hand and thinking to myself how did that get there? ah well now that its there I have no choice but to drink it. what can I do?
    "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

want it to stop now!

Maxman,
    We can do this together! I was the same way. Procrastination was my middle name. For me, I had to set a date. That day was today, so like it or not, I am AF tonight. I am keeping busy, and trying to focus on other things.

I am going out for my walk now --- to burn up another hour. Pretty soon, it will be tomorrow.

Let me know if I can help.

Comment

want it to stop now!

You can take a different route maxman.
      At first, it was difficult to be in shop that sold booze. Now at 38 days sober, knowing it`s on the shelf doesn``t really bother me......can even stare lovingly at a nice btl./char and happily walk on by.

Hang tight......it does get easier.

Much love,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

want it to stop now!

It's those beginning days where you got to bite the bullet. Keeping busy & just saying a firm "today I choose not to drink-no matter what". Reward yourself with little things that say to you-you did good on a job well done. After awhile you won't have to reward yourself-the rewards of being AF will be all around you just waiting for you to scoop them up!.
        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

want it to stop now!

a drive through bottle shop is just wrong.

Comment

want it to stop now!

Make yourself a list of all the things you will lose eventually if you continue to drink.
            Put "your life" at the bottom.
            Post it on your fridge.
            And on the dash of your car.

I think it's a bit of denial. I certainly did it. For years and years.
            Just one more day I said. Then, just one more night.

If you can slice a mountain with your hand you can do this too, but this is harder.

Being sober is a grand life. You have that to look forward to.

My best to you,

magic xx:schmokin:
            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
            I am in the next seat.
            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

want it to stop now!

Hi Maxman,

It sounds like the first step is making yourself to drive right past that Brew Thru. Early on in sobriety, I found that if I made it past the liquor store, got home and had something to eat, I felt a lot safer. I still had cravings, but they were a little easier to manage.

Also, you are really making choices all along the way, first by stopping, then by buying, and then by not throwing the stuff out. I understand completely. An undrunk glass of wine felt criminal to me!

Really, Max, try to JUST NOT STOP. I think it might help a lot!

All the best,

Kathy
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

want it to stop now!

Maxman

When you get in your car to drive home pretend your car is full of crazy people - there's Flip, Beaches, Starlight, Lushey, Accountable, Sammys, Lucky, Betty Boop, Chief, Determinator, the list goes on and on and on. Just figure we are all sitting there to ride home with you. How big is your car, anyway? Now we are all screaming at you to show us the sights of Ozland so you take a different route home to show us around. Then when you get home, we want to tell all our friends about what a great time we are having so you immediately turn on your computer as soon as you walk in the house and log into MWO. One day down. Keep doing that day after day until you have several days under your belt. Get those first few days under your belt. Then it will get easier. Start today.

I'm not making light of your situation. It is very very tough. Know that we are there with you all the time, change some habits such as how you go home from work, and log in here as soon as you get home so you don't have time to have second thoughts. Get through the first few days at least.

You must do this and you can do this. We're all waiting to go for a ride, maxie...............
                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

want it to stop now!

I know that dreaded drive through - I have one on my way home from work. It's like you get there on auto pilot but the whole time the anxiety/craving is building up almost to the point where you start to hyperventilate. You know you don't want to stop, go in, and buy, but you do anyway, with that voice screaming "don't do it, you don't want this"...

On top of taking the meds, I had to go home a different way, I had to eat something before I left work. I took up walking before I went home, then I started meeting people somewhere for a coffee..

What I'm saying it that you have to change your routine, do things differently until you either make a new habit, or you can cope with the driving past....
                  It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

want it to stop now!

thanks guys, gunna have to buy a bus for the road trip!
                    "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

want it to stop now!

Mags;191187 wrote: Maxman

When you get in your car to drive home pretend your car is full of crazy people - there's Flip, Beaches, Starlight, Lushey, Accountable, Sammys, Lucky, Betty Boop, Chief, Determinator, the list goes on and on and on.
                      You must do this and you can do this. We're all waiting to go for a ride, maxie...............
                      Mags are you trying to say I'm crazy????? :H

Max, buy a Betty Boop bobble head for your dash board ..... I can keep my eye on you ....

Love & Hugs, BB xx
                      sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                      X