Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High blood pressure and alcohol?

Hi everyone. . .

I was just wondering if anyone has had their blood pressure go up as a result of drinking. I have always had realtively low blood pressure, and when I went to the doctor yesterday, I found I now have high blood pressure. The only thing that has really changed it the amount I've been drinking. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone been able to reduce their blood pressure by cutting back or abstaining?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have very low blood pressure, even after 20+ years of heavy drinking.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Yes I have high blood pressure and I know that it was brought on or made worse by my drinking. I would be in denial if I thought it was anything else.

Sammys

Comment

When my drinking was bad my blood pressure was screaming through the roof. The summer of 2004 I was hypertensive after binging on beers for two months. I even had nose bleeds. Suffice to say that my blood pressure is below 'normal' now and it has been that way for quite a few months!

Comment

Yes, I recently developed High BP and now on medication. I know for sure it is from drinking, smoking, and the weight gain. Our health will improve overall by being AF.
          I am going to give it a go!!

Take care,
          SL
          :l

Comment

My blood pressure is high from drinking as well. It was always low in the past, but the more I drink the higher it gets.
            Marcie

Comment

I have been on blood pressure medicine for years and that has kept my b.p. down despite heavy drinking. Now that I have close to a month of little or no beer consumption it has really gone down. I am hoping to eventually get off it altogether. I can't wait!
              Rob2
              Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.--- Dale Carnegie

Comment

A well known side effect of excessive alcohol consumption is high blood pressure.

Go figure. Kidneys working overtime.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Yep put me down for high blood pressure. When i went af for 105 days they cut my med's in half now I'm back up there again. Drinking, excess weight and just poor lifestyle.
                  Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

my BP is normally very good. If I go for a bad bender then quit it spikes up to really uncomfortable levels...like 200 over 170 yikes!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

to be more specific..it's the detox period where my BP spikes really bad.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Same, same for me - high blood pressure caused by drinking excessively...
                        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Yep-my bp goes high when I am drinking lots. When I was af 3 months last year it was way low again. Good luck.
                          Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Me too, 200/170 until I sobered up.

Very scary.

m. xx
                            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                            I am in the next seat.
                            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I apprecaite all your posts. . . I've been scared it is something else, but given that I've been drinking more lately than usual, as hard as that is to believe, I'm guessing it's directly related to the alcohol. . . I guess I always knew it had to be taking a toll on my body, and now I have proof. . .

What I'm concerned about now, as Determinator pointed out, one's bp does increase when going throughn withdrawal. . . I'm hoping a can cut back gradually to avoid the bp spike. Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone with high bp told their doctor it was likely due to excessive alcohol comsumption? Did they still put you on meds?

Thanks! I haven't posted in quite some times. . . But I've been reading through the posts again recently and realize I need to be a more active member to get a grip on this. You are all very supportive.

Comment

Working...
                              X