Spanner in the works???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanner in the works???

Have just read that the "final step" is learning how to "enjoy" one drink, after a lengthy period of abstinence. I must disagree.........am quite happy being AF, and don`t appreciate that I will not be "cured" of my alcoholism until such times as I am able to enjoy that one drink and stop at one. Would far rather play safe and steer well clear of booze period.

Because...........I don`t want a drink!!!

Starlight Impress x

Spanner in the works???

Where did you read that, Star? Just one person's thought isn't it? Who are they to lay down the law?? You stick with what you've achieved and what you want for yourself...good on ya!
    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Just read it here, suze......from someone who states, "I`m not an alcoholic", but that they "know lots of stuff"............!!!???........the mind boggles!!! LMAO

I only know the way to stay sober is not to succumb........EVER!!

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Star, help me please, what's a spanner?

m. xx
        ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
        I am in the next seat.
        My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Spanner in the works???

"spanner in the works" means something not conducive to one`s overall goal, magic.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Spanner in the works???

I was about to ask if the person writing that crap was a drinker, but obviously you answered that question. What a dickhead! Fancy saying that and setting people like us up for failure! No, for me to succeed it's AF, and I love it.
            It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Ah, thanks Star. I see.

I do know what a dickhead is though, Flip.

I don't want a drink either. Now chocolate? Hmm...have some right here.

m. xx
              I am in the next seat.

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Exactly Flip.........we know that for those who can`t moderate, like you and I, then the only certain way for us to remain sober is to abstain permanently.........the idea of there being a "final step" to guaranteed recovery, as in us reaching a stage where we are able to enjoy one single drink, is pure "Fantasm"!!! lol

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Star, Flip and Suze....

Now I see.

m. xx :schmokin:
                  I am in the next seat.

Comment

Spanner in the works???

listen to flip, of course. however .. there is no guarantee, of course.l sorry star, am very tired, wish you well always, j
                    Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Magic
                      I think a spanner is a wrench of some sort. Just guessing here, but I think " throwing a wrench into it " means the same thing as " a spanner in the works "

K
                      Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                      April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                      wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                      wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                      wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                      wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                      wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                      wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                      http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Spanner in the works???

I remember once someone told me that "I needed to learn how to drink", as if it was an educational deficit or something.

Then there is the implication that only a morally superior person, can "learn how to drink".

I guess a highly intelligent person, who is successful to the point of making hundreds of millions of dollars, with decades of sobriety can achieve the "learn how to drink" status if they have had a problem previously.

Take Robin Williams, or Mel Gibson....

oh wait......

Forget I said anything.....

Neil

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Hey, all. Still simmering about that rediculous post. I think, in general, we all know how to drink only tooooooooo well, thank you very much.
                          The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Yep, that post had me gawping a bit!!!!

Thing is, I have to admit that that is where I wanted to find myself when I started.The one glass gueen! But I'm very happy where I am...AF. I think I just wanted my choice back and I have it. (just now!) Why one drink at all? What does that mean anyways? I don't even like the smell in a room/on someone's breath now. (Or brandy in a sauce or pudding!)

And, it keeps amazing me - with retropsective sort of shame! - just how little the human seems to needs before they start talking bo**ocks!!!!!! (Sometimes even just that one glass!!) I'm certainly not knocking them or our lovely mod friends here saying they should stop but..........but it's really 'funny' sometimes! And not for anyone to push on a site like this in my 'umble opinion! Yes, what if that one glass becomes two, three....aaagh! I am scared of going there...)

Hope everyone is doing great finding their own way out!!!

FMF xx
                            :heart: c: :heart:
                            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Spanner in the works???

Maybe this person has only just begun thier own journey and is preaching from a dream, or wish, instead of reality? Maybe that is what they HOPE for, rather than accepting that being sober and not drinking is OK and some of actually enjoy it!

boy, I am struggling to be nice.

I still think the idea is preposterous!
                              It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Working...
                              X