Story re: Officer in a POW camp and golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard the story of an officer who was in solitary confinement in a POW camp for years. He practiced playing 18 holes of golf in his head every day. He got out and shot a game in the low 60s. Does anyone happen to know this officer's name? I want to say Neil something. I had the story on file, but it must have been on an old computer.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, could you let me know? Thanks!!

I don't know, but what an incredible story. Goes to show the mind is a powerful thing...
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Tulane University Magazine - News
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Thanks, Gabby - the reason you couldn't find the article I was looking for was because the guy's name wasn't Neil and he didn't shoot in the 60's.

Close, tho. It was Major James Nesmeth, who was a POW in North Vietnam for seven years. Prior to that, he was a "weekend golfer". For seven years, he was placed in a cage that was approximately 4 1/2 feet high and 5 feet wide. For the first few months, all he did was hope for release but then realized that if he didn't use his mind more effectively, he would lose it.

From then on, every day, he vividly imagined himself playing golf on his ideal course, imagining every little detail of the game. After being released and playing again, he shot a 73.

This story was adapted from "Chicken Soup for the Soul - a Second Helping". I am using it as my opening for my Weight Watchers meeting today.

How would it be if we all imagined ourselves saying no thank you to the drink, to enjoying our water, to waking up feeling wonderful every single day.

Dream it to be it~

Comment

18 Holes in His Mind

This is the link to the whole story to anyone that is interested.

Comment

...and now, the REST of the story...

This tale is actually and urban legend that seems to have formed around the actual experiences of Neal Jones, an Air Force F-105 pilot who was shot down in 1966 and spent the rest of the war as a POW in and around Hanoi. It is actually a very inspiring tale, and I have provided the references below. Can't post links until I get 2 posts, so you will have to do a search at Snopes for the "Inner Golf" legend, but Gabby hit the nail on the head with the Tulane magazine link. The snopes article is important because it discusses "Visualization" and mentions several prominent athletes who have used it to drastically improve their abilities through psychological excercise alone.

a description of the legend - snopes.com search for Inner Golf
            actual story - www2.tulane.edu/article_news_details.cfm?ArticleID=2915 (see Gabby's link)

Comment

Working...
            X