Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Clearout!

Thanks everyone.

I still have a couple of hours to go before I see the doctor. I hopped on here for some strength and courage! I am a bit worried now about Birds' experience of having to go 2 weeks AF before the Campral could be prescribed.... is that the norm? Oh well, I'll just have to see what happens.

Louise, I had those exact thoughts yesterday as I poured the drink away..... the labels on the bottles made it all seem so classy and acceptable to pop a cork. Ok, it is fine for some but I have to accept that it's not fine for me. I see movies or programmes on TV and everyone seems to have a drink in their hand, or just about to pour a drink and just that used to trigger me off to think, oh well, they're having one so I can.... how stupid is that? What gives me added strength is the fact that I managed to cut out smoking about 10 years ago .... just decided to do it and that was that. I used to see people smoking outside, and on TV and get a little craving but not do anything about it. Still never smoked since and I never will. So, if I can do that.... then of course I can do this!!

Cash, yup, exercise and healthy eating will come hand in hand with me stopping drinking. When I don't drink I want
    to walk and eat healthily. When I do drink, I have no energy to do anything and I eat more unheathily. I still cook when drinking but add more things like cream, butter or deep fry things that I would normally grill!!!!

Once you are at peace with yourself then everything else will fall into place.
    Beaches, you have hit the nail on the head.

That statement hits home and is something that I am working on. Thanks for that.

Bird, hope you will be okay with just the Kudzo. I suppose it is a great incentive to hang on in there in order for you to get your Campral! Strength to you.

Starlight, yes, I am proud. I am surprised how easy it was to do. I wouldn't have done that before. I would have left the booze in the house "just in case". Well, there is no "just in case" this time..... it's just not going to happen. It's gone. I refuse to waste any more money on the stuff!!

Youngatheart... thanks. Yes, I definately feel I am in the right corner now with my boxing gloves on, ready to take this on and win!

Well, I am going on a bit this morning but it is really fantastic to be able to "talk" to you all this way. Just like the last time I went to the doctors, when I was very very nervous I think I said that I felt you all "holding my hand" there. Well, it's the same this time. Thank you. :h

Better go and get myself ready. Does anyone else have a shower, cut their toenails, shave their legs and pits, pluck their eyebrows, make sure they have good underwear on and clean their ears out just to have a chat with their doctor.........?

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Beaches;196542 wrote: Once you are at peace with yourself then everything else will fall into place.

That's the most poignant thing I've read on here for ages. Thank you Beaches - you're absolutely correct.

Life does not always go to plan. Make a new plan. Accept, forgive and keep on learning from the things you cannot change. Peace does
      ... eventually come.

And Bluebell - don't forget your hankie!

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Paper tissue or Cotton embroidered one?

Quick!

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Normal AF time before campral is 5 days, Bluebell. I think it is really safe to start from Day 1, but the campral won't really start to kick in until you are AF for a few days. Bird's doc is being overly cautious.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :fingers:
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Cotton!!!! Embroidered!!! With lace edges ...

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Medicated and Motivated!

Hope you don't mind me stealing part of your avatar PP! It is just soooo appropriate :H

Right, down to the serious stuff -

Tawny - couldn't find cotton, embroidered and laced hankie so just used a Kleenex from a box adorned with Lavender.

That seemed to do the trick because ....

I GOT CAMPRAL!!!

I am so happy that I have such a lovely, approachable doctor!

The bit that got me though was she said that the Australian Government only fund Campral for "one shot" of two months per person per year!!! That means that if you still need Campral after using it for 2 months well.... you can't. Unless you wait another full year or unless, I suppose you go private or online? Anyway, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. The info leaflet that the Pharmacist gave me says that you can be on Campral for one year!

But boo boop a do - I did it!

Young - thanks for the finger-crossing! My doctor didn't even mention a waiting period! On reading the info leaflet it says that a waiting period is preferable if withdrawal symptoms are severe. I don't get severe withdrawal symptoms so maybe that was a factor?

Who knows? Anyway, boo boop a do!!

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Good stuff, Bluey.:happy::happy::happy::happy:

Now, about those hankies ... I guess only committed tree-huggers boycott tissues. That's ok. Let's work on one thing at a time ....

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Thanks Tawny.

Sorry about the tree thing. Next time I will use my sleeve.

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Hi Bluebell,
                    Just thought I'd let you know I've read your posts and am following your progress. It's a big step but you sound like you have the neccesary resolve. I'll be interested to know how the campral goes. And what about your other half's reaction to the booze free house?

Wishing you all the best with it,
                    Kyna

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Hi Kyna!

I just told him what I had done and he said, along the lines of "Good, now don't buy any more!". That was the reaction. One simple little logical sentence.

I'm not sure if he realises I included his 25 year old single malt in my "spring clean".

But, as he is as bad as me with alcohol, I say I have done him a big favour.

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Bye way Kyna, I see that you are doing very well! That's great! Sorry to read that you are feeling bad about moving. I can relate to that totally. I moved out of our old place in April and I too was very attached to the place. But, a move is a change and change can be a good thing, doesn't have to be bad! Hope you feel better about the whole thing soon.

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Well, what a great reaction. Better than, 'You've done WHAT????!!!', followed by an emergency dash to the nearest bottle shop! Ouch! (about the Malt)

Really pleased to hear your plans, and to hear you so motivated!
                          Kyna

Comment

The Big Clearout!

good on ya bb good luck!
                            "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Thanks Max!

You ok? You look a bit constipated.

Comment

The Big Clearout!

Bluebell, Thanks for your thoughts about the move. Yes, change - that scary, exciting, dual-natured, very complex aspect of life we cannot avoid. I feel slightly better this afternoon. This place helps. Keeping myself busy with the kids now they're home, and jumping on and off here (thank God for broadband).

Just glad I'm not stuffing the feelings down with drinking. Such a short term solution. Pleased that at the very least I'm facing things head on.
                                Kyna

Comment

Working...
                                X