Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Support Beaches!!!!

Hey all,

As many of you may know Beaches has a son with autism. Her family is in the process of trying to obtain an Autism Assistance Dog for him but in order for them to do so they have to raise a substantial amount of money; $11,000 to be exact.

If any of you are interested in donating here is the website she has set up:

A Best Friend for Alec

On the front page there is a way to pay through Paypal or you can pay by check.

If you cannot donate money then please send positive thoughts that they will get this money raised!!! I am trying to get her the name the dog Lushy. She does not seem too keen on the idea.

We love you Beaches!!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Lushy, what an amazing idea !!! Thanks alot for letting us in on this !!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Great idea, Lushy. I'll see what I can scrounge up!

Love to you, Beaches.:h

Hugs,:l

Kathy
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Consider it done!
        Mar

Comment

good luck Beaches!!
          cant afford any money *blush* but what a wonderful idea!!

roxane

PS dog should be called roxane.

Comment

All I can send is warm thoughts and the best wishes! Hope you raise the money and more.

Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to know what an autism assistance dog is exactly? Always interested. Animals are great healers and their love is so much more loyal than any human's!

Good Luck Beaches and Alec!
            x
            Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
            Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

Wow, thanks all for your encouragement. That means so much. We are hoping that this service dog provides many different benefits for Alec. He often runs off so the dog will be tethered to him; he stims a lot so the dog is trained to nudge, lick or touch him to calm him down and bring him back to center and also it will be a way for people to approach him. As some know, people who have autism lack socialization skills and as it is for my son he would rather be playing with a toy than another child. Not necessarily by choice but because he doesn't know how to interact. The dog would encourage other children to approach him and interact therefore affording him the social opportunities he wouldn't seek out himself.
              Deilight you can learn tons about the Autism Assistance Dog at 4 Paws for Ability where they have a tab on it...I couldn't give it justice here.

Thanks Lushy for doing this, I so appreciate it.
              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Beaches - I thought about you last night when I tuned into Oprah - a mom just published a book about her autistic son and what she has learned has helped him (cant think of the name of it, but go to oprah's web site).
                Good luck with the dog (who should be named My Own Dog)
                :-)
                FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Deilight, the dogs are specially trained, not just to be assistance dogs, but also to deal with the special needs presented by a person with autism. I'm not sure exactly, but the dog might help if the person was about to enter a dangerous situation, or to remain calm if the person got upset. Beaches could probably describe it in great detail, and I'm sure we'd all love to hear.

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Yes the dog would go wherever we go with Alec. Right now we have the death grip on him in public for fear of losing him. He becomes very focused on things that you or I might not even notice. It doesn't matter if that item is in the middle of a highway, pool or whatever. Once he's fixated, he's fixated. His dog would be tethered to him in that I would be holding the leash of the dog and Alec would also be harnassed to the dog so that he could not put himself in a dangerous situation. He's very fast. When he was younger I could keep up with him however now that he's getting older it's a bit harder for me to chase him. Screaming his name doesn't matter, he doesn't respond.
                    Once we are done fundraising we go to the facility where we are trained with the dog for 2 weeks.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Beaches, prayers and a donation go out to you, your precious son, and his helper-pup this very day.

My best friend's son is an Asperger's boy---as you know, this disorder is on the high end of the autism spectrum. Over the years I have watched this cheerful, lovable, but socially-clueless lad bond so strongly with dogs. It brings tears to my eyes, watching him play and connect endlessly with my three Goldies. With these dogs, he is focused and "on-task," and so are the dogs! I'm hoping that one day Robby will work with animals as a trainer; somehow autistic/Aspie folks have "the gift"---endless patience and consistency---and what a lovely way to use their special attributes.

Here's wishing you and your boy many happy moments with his good doggy pal!

Jane Jane
                      Jane Jane

Comment

Jane Jane, That is so what I am hoping. That Alec will bond to this dog because he doesn't bond to people. I want him to have a connection and a best friend. From what I have read and researched, dogs are amazing. I have to admit that this will be my first dog as well. So what a great way to start.

Comment

Count me in but the dog should be named lucky for sure! I cannot wait to hear the success of alec having a doggy!

EDIT: Beaches, this is your first dog??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

Comment

Ok let's clear up the name thingy. I love all of your names HOWEVER, the dog will be named already when we meet him/her.

Yes this is my first dog! I have had cats.

Comment

Beaches, I am going to forward all your info to another good pal who is currently interning as a therapist with the May Institute in Boston (they do lots of work with autistic children.)

Don't lose hope. Alec may be going through his roughest patch right now, and this helper dog may well be his vital link to "our world." As an animal lover, I can tell you that sometimes the "special" kids can make the connection with our furry pals better than we can! And oh, my, what love they can give to each other. A good big dog will never judge, never ridicule---he/she will only offer oceans of love and loyalty, asking only a kind word and pat in return. They live for the approval of their masters, and will lay down their lives to get it.

Your son is in for the treat of his life. Not sure about naming it "Lushy," but whatever you call it, we'll all send it a big cyber-bone!

JJ
                              Jane Jane

Comment

Working...
                              X