i keep screwin up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i keep screwin up!

i had a week af up untill yesterday. was offered a beer after work, (i work with 4 alcoholics) and i just couldnt say no.... one beer lead to 3 more, then those beer lead to some hard drugs, as usuall. im thinking maybe its time for a different job, to get out of that pattern or am i over reacting?

i keep screwin up!

my work situation certainly does not make sobriety easy... but i love my job and the freedom it brings me. perhaps i just gotta decide what is more important to me??? cuz i dont think i can stay af and work with those guys =-(

Comment

i keep screwin up!

you know the answer to that ghostman.

i dont know what job you do but can you not get another with a different company? or is the drinking/drug taking common in your chosen career?

roxane

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Roxane: im in the trades, framing some houses right now. but i usually work in the oilpatch so yes substance abuse is veeeeeeeery common. wich is tough, cuz i hear about it all day, and thus think about it all day. i think it would be good to get another job, but more than likely ill be in the same situation in a different place u know? argh, its frustrating. the difference with this job is i get a ride home with my co-workers, so i usually sit around and watch them drink after work, and they usually drink while driving home, so its right beside me all the time.

Comment

i keep screwin up!

its hard when the other tradies around you are drinking. been there. chuck a couple of cans of coke in your bag and drink them on the way home. If the guys give you any greif either tell them the truth or make something up like Im on anti biotics or doctors orders. good luck ghostman

cheers

maxman
          "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Not an easy situation to be in ghostman, but I guess that`s why people here say to do "whatever it takes". Obviously, the job is your livelihood, but your sobriety must come first. Tends to be the norm here as well, that tradesmen are mostly heavy drinkers........think you really need to consider any alternatives you could do for a living that wouldn`t require you to feel like you have to drink alongside them to be "one of the boys".......even if you don`t feel pressured to join them in a drink, it`s enough that the temptation is always there.

Wishing you love and strength,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Gosh Ghostman short of starting your own business, The only thing I can tell you is hang tough. It isn't easy, but anything worth having really never is. You can always tell them it's against your religion.
              Smiles
              Mar

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Ghostman, gosh that is hard ....

A bit extreme I know but could you fill an empty vodka bottle with water and refuse there beers by saying you've hit the hard stuff???
                sigpicXXX

Comment

i keep screwin up!

betty you are always so inventive. ghostman, i really get this is a hard one. i do think the coke cans are a great idea though as well.
                  :welcome:

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Or say you have to lay off the sauce as you are developing an ulcer and it kicks the shit out of you when you drink.

The Vodka Bottle is very inventive for sure.... but they might want a swig LOL!

Comment

i keep screwin up!

hmm. good ideas guys! thanks alot. was af today and yesterday so thats good... it is tough, and i dont feel like one of the guys when i refuse a beer. but i dunno, ill get over it i think...

Comment

i keep screwin up!

hmm, i replied last night but it doesnt seem to be showing. anyways thanks for your replies, they have proved helpful so far. im goin to work in about 10 mins and im pretty confident ill be ok today... thanks doods!

Comment

i keep screwin up!

Ghostman,

You can do it!! My son was a painter for years and he finally had to just learn to smile and tell his buds, nope, can't drink or smoke and climb those ladders!!

For some reason, as the sober one at work, he ended up being the one doing all the trim work. :H

He's a tough dude, himself, and none of his buddies got upset or made fun of him. He was still "one of the guys."

Good luck today and take care!!

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

i keep screwin up!

bring me back inside and call me when your sobre harsh words but true luv u but b gud your on the rite side
                            Nothing improves the memory more than trying to forget.

Comment

i keep screwin up!

peer pressure is not easy and if it involves work it makes it twice difficult.
                              hopefully they understand when you tell them that you don't want to get drunk or high
                              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                              X