Running of the Sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running of the Sheep

This weekend is a long weekend for me and I'm going away with a couple of great mates from my Motorcycle club (both mature ladies like myself). We are going to a small country town a few hours ride away, inland from the coast, called Boorowa. (pronouced with an Aussie accent this sounds like Bore-roo-wah). This town hosts the FAMOUS Irish woolfest and the highlight of the weekend is what is known as the "Running of the Sheep"

The Running of the Sheep at Boorowa's Irish Woolfest has been likened to "The Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona. Full wool merino sheep rampage down the main street of Boorowa leading the colourful Street Parade. Four working Australian kelpie sheepdogs bring the sheep back on track. These dogs leap on and off a four wheel motorbike keeping the sheep from disappearing into the sunset.

The second best thing about the festival is the "Blessing of the Fleece".
    A sheep is shorn on the shearing shack beside the stage. The fleece is thrown on the stage and our three ecumenical ministers, representing the Catholic, Anglican and Uniting churches, join together to present a spiritual short service celebrating the fine wool of the region.

So, as you can see, I'm in for a fun weekend in the Australian bush, staying in a lovely heritage homestead for FREE!

I will, of course, be Alcohol FREE and riding my bike through town with my tough girly mates (one is over 60!) terrorising the locals!

See you all on Monday night! Attached files [img]/converted_files/12750=1983-attachment.jpg[/img] [img]/converted_files/12750=1984-attachment.jpg[/img]
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Running of the Sheep

Oh No, Flip you can't leave us .......

Have a brilliant time, I will miss you ...........
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Vroom vroom, Flip I'm a million miles away....but I feel terrorised already.....

Have a great weekend:h
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Running of the Sheep

That's cool, I never knew they did this. Have fun and take it easy on the locals or they may just send those sheep after you.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Just be careful dear. Don't get gored by one of those sheep horns. Have fun.
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Running of the Sheep

A sheep is shorn on the shearing shack
            Say this 5 times really fast!

Have a great time Flip.
            Marcie

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Flip- have a great time. That sounds like a blast. And the sheep are so cute.

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Have a wonderful time Flip! It sounds like a great weekend you have planned.

:l :l
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Have a blast hon! Know u will!!! :H

Comment

Running of the Sheep

I am completely jealous. Do you know, Flip, that I became a vegetarian many years ago when my mother took me to a sheep-shearing? While there, I got to feed a baby lamb a bottle, and fell in love! When the farmer explained that these little fuzzy darlings were being raised for slaughter, I was heartsick, and never again touched meat. So you holler for me "Run sheep RUN!" Seriously, have a blast, and come back with some stories...
                    Jane Jane

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Flip,

Where in the world to you get you avatar photos? They just crack me up.

Anyhow, I hope you are riding a Harley Davidson.

tc

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Flip, have a great time! At the end of the month, I will be going away for the weekend with my knitting club and will be knitting with that very merino wool yarn! Your trip sounds like a lot more fun.

Have a great time.

Comment

Running of the Sheep

I will miss you Flip! Have a great time!
                          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Flip,
                            We have all kinds of festivles. The running of the bulls, the running of the sheep, the running of the shepards after the sheep. The tomatoe festavile. In Baltimore, USA we have the running of the HONs. ( These are middle age women with cateye glasses and beehive hair does. with a Baltimore accent ! and they compete for The big Hon Contest. You gotta be part of the culture to understand it.... IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Running of the Sheep

Flip, my dog will be so jealous! She would love to herd those sheep!
                              Have a great time!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X