ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Well, I?ve done it, one whole year AF. I started drinking at the age of 17, that was 42 years ago, and in all that time I have never been without a drink for such a long period. I am ashamed to say it, but, even when I was pregnant with my two children, I still didn?t stop drinking, although I wasn?t drinking as much then compared to later years.

I had tried times without number to stop drinking over the last ten years, but I always failed. So why am I successful this time? I have asked myself this question several times over the last year. Well, one of the reasons for my success is this place, MWO, and for that I thank Roberta Jewel from the bottom of my heart. Another reason are all the wonderful people here, you have all in your turn inspired me, made me laugh, made me cry with some of the things you have posted, you have educated me and brought so much richness into my life, and for that I sincerely thank each and every one of you.

The wonderful thing about MWO is the way everyone, regardless of nationality, colour, politics or religion is accepted into this large family and supported, helped and encouraged to reach their goals, whatever they may be.

I am convinced though that the most important reason I have succeeded this time is all down to one thing, it was something which had been staring me in the face for years, but, despite the fact that somewhere in the deepest and darkest parts of my brain there was a small voice whispering a certain word to me, I choose to ignore it.

I ignored that voice until a year ago today, when I looked, and I mean really looked at myself in the mirror. I saw a bloated and blotchy face, greasy hair and bloodshot eyes. I couldn?t ignore that voice anymore, because now it wasn?t whispering, it was shouting, and the word it was shouting in my head was ALCOHOLIC.

It took courage to admit it but I knew the voice was right, and as I looked at myself I said, ? I am an alcoholic ?. That one sentence helped me to change my life. Why? Because after years of denial I had at long last done something positive. I had accepted the fact that I was and always would be an alcoholic with all that entails.

So, by listening to that voice , I ended the most horrible journey I had ever been on and it was by accepting what it was saying that I started the journey of a lifetime. Because that is what it will be, a lifetimes journey.

We all say on here that by joining MWO we have taken the first step towards beating the booze, but no, for me that first step was as I have said, ACCEPTING that I was an alcoholic. Finding MWO was the second step, and from that day to this I have been putting one foot in front of the other until eventually I arrived at one whole year AF.

I know now that even one drink is out of the question for me, that is what acceptance is all about. I know what I am and I have changed my life to accommodate this. I think I was an alcoholic even before I took my first drink. Looking back to the early years I seem to remember most of my friends could stop after about 4 or 5 drinks, but not me, I always wanted more. As time went on I wanted more and more, until that morning a year ago when I finally learned the lesson of ACCEPTANCE.

Well, heres to the next year and all the years after that. I?ve got so much to be thankful for, and again its all because I have accepted what I am, an alcoholic.

God bless you all, and thank you for always being there for me,

Love, Louise xxx

PS. The definition of the word Acceptance is,
    THE MENTAL ATTITUDE THAT SOMETHING IS BELIEVEABLE AND SHOULD BE ACCEPTED AS TRUE.
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Wow Louise, congratulations on year of sobriety!!! I envy you!!!!
    Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Oh Louise...

I am just so proud of you. You are such an inspiration to us all. Today you should look in the mirror over and over again and see the beautiful, strong, and clear-headed, healthy, and wise woman that you are!

With so much love and admiration.

Beth
      formerly known as bak310

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

irish,

it is a honor to know you. way to go!!!

xoxo

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Louise, I am so happy for you. It feels so great I know. I'm glad you are at this point in your journey!

Love you,
          Gabby :flower:

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Thanks irish and gabster and others for setting the bar so high for us!

Irish, does this make you the lifeguard @ the swimming pool?

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Irish you are the best, without a doubt.....

Well Done .........
              sigpicXXX

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Bravo Louise!!! Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

IRISH!!!!!

Congratulations! Isn't a sober life grand!

365 days clean and sober is an incredible achievement, really.

I wish you a lifetime of serene sunrises.

magic xx :flower:
                  ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                  I am in the next seat.
                  My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Absolutely amazing Louise. Fantasitic achievement. I have enjoyed so many of your posts during my time here on the boards.
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Congratulation Louise.

Your AF award is in Long-Term Abstainers.

Your words of wisdom on acceptance are so very true. It seems both at once horrible when we have to admit the truth to ourselves, but also it is that turning point when we know what we really must do if we want a better life.

I personally have been so motivated, and encouraged by your growth over the last year. You too, have changed. Changed for the better.

Your writing has become the writing of a truly sober person. This is not to say overly morose or serious, but clear and accepting of the facts of life. This has been inspiring to me, and many others here.

May your life get better every day. Accepting the fact that you have gone one year now, means there is something very good, and pure, and powerful within yourself. Let it grow, and nuture it.

As I say so many times, be well Louise.

Neil

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

wow, your post has made me cry because,
                        1. i feel so truly happy for you,
                        2. i so want and need to be where you are.

your post is inspiring to me when i'm struggling

want
                        :h :h :h :h
                        AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                        There's fire in your eyes,
                        Bite me, excite me,
                        I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                        Brings eternal flame.
                        Open me to heaven,
                        To heal me again.

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

It is an honor to get to know you this year Irish. You are a true inspiration to many of us here.
                          Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Louise,
                            You have cleared many a cloudy day for me this last year and given me something to smile about and a goal to work towards.

I am so happy for you.
                            Yes, go look in that mirror again! What I can see from my side of the pond, is a very lovely lady.
                            Be blessed.
                            Love,
                            Nancy "Belle"
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

ONE YEAR ALCOHOL FREE.

Louise I have always admired you and today only enforces how much. Congrats to you. You are a wonderful person and an inspiration to all.
                              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                              X