Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First step, now the future

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask you how you deal with future situations as they come. As some may know I have made the first steps and told my nearest and dearest but sooner or later I am going to run into old friends.

Now while I'm OK now with admitting my problems to people close to me I am wondering how to deal with old friends - 'good old Amashed he's always up for a drink!' Immediately I've decided that diet anti biotics work tomorrow will all do but I'm not quite brave enough to come out to my mates and admit that I am an alcoholic so I can't drink.

How have you handled this? I'm trying to think of anything that can stop me beating this bloody thing and beating it first. Many thanks to all.

Amashed- For now you don't have to say anything but the "excuses" that you have listed. Once you've got some sober time under your belt, you will be better able to decide who to tell what.

Sometimes, dealing with today is the best we can do.

Comment

I used dieting as an excuse and was amazed at the support I got from people. Or just use medication. After a while, just say, you, know, it feels so good being rid of this poison, I decided to make this a permanent way of life.

People get used to it. Your real friends do anyway. Screw the others.

Comment

Hi Amashed,

I would try to stay away from social occasions to begin with, then, as time goes on and you realise how your life is changing for the better WITHOUT alcohol in it, you will begin to find a new confidence in yourself and you won't mind telling people that you don't drink anymore.. As a matter of fact, you may even feel quiet proud of yourself as you say it..
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

You know that after all the shame I've felt in the last few days the idea of being proud this is inspiring - thank you.

Comment

amashed, i think you should feel proud of yourself for giving in to your pride, if you know what i mean. i know how difficult that is and struggle with it all the time. well done you
            want
            x
            AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
            There's fire in your eyes,
            Bite me, excite me,
            I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
            Brings eternal flame.
            Open me to heaven,
            To heal me again.

Comment

hi amashed staying away from situations that trigger drinking is a good idea as irishlady has stated above. distracting yourself with new activities helps a lot. after a while you'll be strong enough to say no.
              good luck on your journey towards being healthy and non depended on alcohol

trix
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I would try to stay away from the social situations too for now. Just until you get some time and strength under your belt.

In today's society I have come to realize that it is OK not to drink. I tell my friends that I don't drink anymore and you know, no one presses the issue. There is nothing wrong in wanting to get healthy! Also, you don't need to disclose that you have a problem with alcohol either. You simply say you are sick of drinking and are cutting it out for a 'while'.

Comment

Working...
                X