Does alcohol help anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it helps while I'm drinking it but I wonder if one's anxiety is worse the next day or no different? Does anybody know? I never get hangovers so I don't suffer in that area.
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

hey

Hi myheart (that reminds me of the carebears, sweet, loved 'em)

It DEFINITELY makes anxiety worse the next day, absolutely no question.

B

Comment

it sure does but you have to stay drunk, and if you stay drunk for 2 long you become anxiety riden
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Much worse the next day!
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

In my case, I suffer sweats, anxiety, depression after drinking.

I remind myself of that every morning when I meditate, now.

I am normally an "anxious" person. My mom is jokingly referred to as "create a crisis" and I learned well.

Drinking one or two glasses makes it easier to deal with but crap, when I go on to the third, fourth, umm off switch gone, it gets much worse!!!

Cindi

Like Mary (retteacher), I recognize I have no off switch. I drink until all money or alcohol is gone or I have passed out. Whichever comes first. What a great life, hey???
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Mine were WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible, horrible, horrible. Not so much the day after but the second day after. The attacks, paranoia, feelings of dying were horrendous.

Comment

Much worse the days after drinking!
              Marcie

Comment

db2fromala;206466 wrote: My mom is jokingly referred to as "create a crisis" and I learned well.
                Ha! I think we have the same Mother!
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Oh, it destroys the central nervous system. Of course it will make anxiety worse. Ever hear of DTs? Not fun. DTs can kill you. I've been close a few times myself. Horror. Pure horror.
                  where does this go?

Comment

Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink...
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

HELL NO, it does not help anxiety! It makes it a thousand times worse! God a day after heavy drinking I about jump out my skin.

Comment

I used alcohol as a quick-fix for my anxiety, and I have to admit that after a couple of glasses of wine, it did work.......in the short-term. The knock-on effect of using the drink to stem anxiety is horrendous........I ended up anxious constantly and the only short reprieves I felt were when I started to feel the buzz of the first couple of drinks of an evening. I used to wake up to crippling anxiety every single morning, looking forward to that night`s booze to soothe it.

I continue to suffer from anxiety now that I no longer drink, but severe panic attacks are now few and far between.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Alcohol definately increased my anxiety, to the point where I used to have panic attacks. Alcohol temporarily deadend the pain or the problems I was experiencing at the time. Once the buzz was gone and when the hangover kicked in, so did the anxiety. The next day the pain and problems still existed, but now they were harder to deal with because I'm was too hungover to take care of the issues properly.
                          September 23, 2011

Comment

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE anxiety when I drank. Anxiety attacks, night terrors, night sweats, panic attacks, - a total nutcase anxiety wise. Now that I've been AF for a long time MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less anxiety.
                            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Mags,

:h

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X