Does alcohol help anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morrison;206506 wrote: Oh, it destroys the central nervous system. Of course it will make anxiety worse. Ever hear of DTs? Not fun. DTs can kill you. I've been close a few times myself. Horror. Pure horror.
    It destroys the central nervous system permanently? What are DT's?
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

beatle;206508 wrote: Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink. Anxiety? drink...
      Yea, that's my life. Will Xanax destroy my central nervous system too? Maybe I should stick to that?
      - George Jackson

Comment

DT's are delirium tremens. The symptoms of DT's include profound confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, hyperactivity, and extreme cardiovascular disturbances.

Here's further info:
        Alcohol Withdrawal
        Marcie

Comment

Geez, pass the Valium.....I guess
          - George Jackson

Comment

Valium is bad stuff - try to avoid it. I have found that GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) works GREAT for me for anxiety. It doesn't work for everyone, but has been terrific for me. You can buy it at any natural foods store. RJ recommends 750 mg per day but I am taking 1000 mg per day. You might want to start out with 500 mg or so and go up from there. I find it very helpful.

Good luck.
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I want a new drug :H

[ame= ]YouTube - I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News[/ame]
              - George Jackson

Comment

shit no, try adrenaline or sober life!
                "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Just wondering does St. john's wort help with anxiety?

Comment

cloudjockey, I started to take St. John's Wort about a month before I decided to quit drinking. It really helped me immensely! I kept taking it until July of this year when I figured there was something more to my depression than what the SJW could help and the alcohol previously masked.

I had a good experience with it.

Comment

Mags

So glad you mentioned GABA..I have been wondering about dosage. I take 1500 mgs, at about 4pm and it seems wonderful...it kicks in about an hour later and seems to "mellow me out" enough to take away that drink craving I get at the 5pm hour...but I have been concerned that I might be taking too much...

Any thoughts?

Beth
                      formerly known as bak310

Comment

I take zoloft which helps a bunch, but the alcohol was able to defeat it. The severity of my panic attacks is what pushed me over the edge to get sober. I've always had some amount of trouble with anxiety and when I drank less, the alcohol would help temporarily, so just add one more item to my list of triggers. I agree with the others - it doesn't help in the long run and really makes it worse. The peak in my anxiety problems coincided with the onset of some of the more advanced alc probs like passing out and memory loss. On th eother hand when I dried out for 3 weeks I felt better anxiety wise than I can remember in a long while.

So, a 'no' vote on alcohol for easing anxiety. There are some cool, non-habit forming meds out there for anxiety. Anxiety is no fun and people who have never been through it don't understand at all. They can't imagine your brain turning on itself and causing genuine bodily harm. I know I couldn't imagine it before it happened to me. Just like another problem I can think of.....

BTW, I think xanax has an alcohol interaction, so be careful. Valium definitly doesn't mix well - I think there are enough dead celebrities to prove that.

Comment

SSRIs (which zoloft is) do not work with alcohol consumption.

For those of you with anxiety that don't want or can't take the traditional (psychologist prescribed) meds, there are many options, like Valerian, calms forte and lithium orotate- There has been a lot of discussion about this on the Holistic forum.

I have found all of these to help in my AF periods and am looking to them once more as I approach AF again.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I take all of the supplements mentioned. I also take Xanax and Emsam (an antidepressant patch), SSRI's made me drink more. I tried the meditation CD's but I feel so bored, I do have ADD. I cannot take any ADD medication because of my anxiety. I will share that I use a product some of you might be interested in. I got it at the Sharper Image, it's called "StressEraser". I use it while I watch TV, it makes you slow down your breathing and makes little beeps when you are breathing properly and gives you points for breathing properly. You are supposed to strive for 100 points a day. It really has helped me a lot.

StressEraser — Stress Relief that Actually Works
                            - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                            X