• Show
Clear All

Topamax in the news!

It sounds like the word may be getting out about Topamax

Pill helps alcoholics taper off drinking - Yahoo! News
    Marcie

Topamax in the news!

Hi Marcie-

Funny because our local news this evening said "a seizure medicine to help alcoholics"-then they showed a picture of Topa bottle. Unfortunately I couldn't see it-had to run kids off to library.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Topamax in the news!

National Public Radio All Things Considered had a big story on it. I'll try to find the link and post it.
      Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I don't know if that is good or not. It is easy know to say I am on Topa for migraines....

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I haven't ever been on topa, was prescribed it but them by liver enzymes were way out of wack at the time and I found out I had Hep C so my doc said not to take it. That was 2 years ago, now that I'm clear and I've started on other migraine meds, maybe I'll think about asking for this when I see my doc in Feb.
          Marcie

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I think this is the link you want. It has the NPR story and links to articles. It was a big story this afternoon on public radio. I heard it while I was fixing dinner and it was a very good story.

NPR : Medication Shows Promise in Treating Alcoholism

This is an old story. The next post has a link to today's story which is better, but they are both good.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

Actually, this is the link to today's NPR story. Click on listen.

NPR : Seizure Drug Shows Promise Against Alcoholism

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I'm popping this back up to the top of the board. I hope everyone gets a chance to see that finally topa is getting some attention. Once again RJ is way ahead of the rest of society. Maybe they're finally catching up to her.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

That article kinda concerns me.
                  It says, "Topamax has big obstacles. With the drug makers patent expiring next year, there won't be any big push to advertise it for alcoholism "

I hope that doesn't mean it's going to be harder to get P-scripts for it..or worse...
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Topamax in the news!

Interesting Jude - i missed that comment. I'll have to check it out again. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I was disappointed in that part of the article Judie. It seems like they are approving new meds for drinking with Campral and Vivitrol, so why not do more research on topa and alcohol.
                      Marcie

Comment

Topamax in the news!

But hey you guys, if the patent expires, they can make a generic version of topa, and then it would be more affordable for folks. Doctors would rather perscribe the Campral and Vivitrol for the big bucks, but we who are so smart on here can ask for the generic topa. Isn't that the way it works?
                        The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

Perhaps there is still a chance that we all need to work some sort of a program? Maybe that's where SMART comes into play. I am hoping that the two will work for me. I took my first pill tonite. And, I'm scared to death....
                          Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Topamax in the news!

I think that having an article in such a prestigious journal should make it easier to get topamax from your doctor. The Lancet, which carried the other study, is also prestigious but not US-based. And for those in the UK, recent publication in JAMA will be a big help.

I read that there is a generic company that has been wanting to sell but there have been some obstacles in court. Google generic topamax.

You don't need advertising by pharma for topa, you just need the media to run stories on it. In fact, the consumer groups consider funding and publication of this study to be advertisements for off-label prescribing.

Comment

Topamax in the news!

Oh my Lord,

I hate to post political comment here, but if we go to 'SOCIALIZED" meds, we will have no choice.

I am the child and the wife of a military people. I understrand SOCIALIZED medicine. It SUCKS!! It does not matter who is in charge or who is doing the prescribing, they are "hog tied" by the 'RULES."

I am sooooo much for Universal Health care as long long as our "wise and Great government" doesn't interject themselves into what really "works."

My doc prescribed topa for my "migraines," because she understand that being classified as an alcoholic will follow me the 'REST OF MY LIFE."

I do have migraines, when I drink waaay to much. LOL. I would rather have "migraines" on my diagnosis than "alcholic."

How sad is that???

Anyway, all I am trying to say is that topa cannot and does not work for me. It really hurt me. Period. However, i am hoping that because there is a possibilty for lots of $$, in the end the drug companies will continue working on drugs that help, without the side effects, so that I can be AF without the "white knuckling" I do now.

I care about everyone here. There are soooooo many in need.

Let's keep up the ressearch so that in the future there will be a real cure!!!

(Gosh., I hate being political but I grew up in the "univeral health care" world of the military. There will be no difference when the gov't takes over). (I wish the gov't could do a better job of it, I really do!!)

Love,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X