Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have finally found a meeeting that clicked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone, I haven't posted in a while...been soul searching I guess! I have finally went to an AA meeting that has clicked for me! I really felt "apart" of the group. I have realized now that I sincerely need outside help since I am scared to tell a doctor for losing my insurance which happened before. I am going to go as much as I can to help with my addiction. I was told to keep going to meetings until I click with a mentor to help. I do have a recovered alcoholic friend of 20 years to call as well. My biggest fear as well to get into a group was the because of the drinking and driving. It was getting worse. It was only a matter of time. There was a guy in class that has already spent over 7 grand in court fees and not to mention all of the classes, etc. he has to take. He didn't think he was an alcoholic until he spoke at the meeting and confessed that he was. THats what he needed I guess to see his addiction. Well, just thought Id share and let you know what has happened for me and I am praying to god that I will lick this thing!

Good for you.

I did AA for awhile and kept sober for a year and a half. I got extremely tired of hearing the same stories told over/over again, BUT, I kept going for that year and a half anyhow. I really started getting pissed off when a 70 year old man named Dick [30 yrs sober] kept giving me hell for not going to enough meetings. I usually did 2-3 a week and for some reason, he did'nt think that was enough for me and kept telling me that I was a recipe for failure.

I have my own bussiness and am VERY busy at times and just cant make all the meeting like a retired person could, Dick did'nt give a damn. Anyhow, I got tired of listening to his BS and never returned again.

AA has helped TONS of folks, but it just is not in the right mind-set for ME..Do WHATEVER it takes to keep sober, and if its AA, than let it work for YOU.

God Bless

Comment

:l Hey there Shitzu:hrGlad to hear you found a good one.
      Having a good support system really helps so much.
      Glad you're back too.
      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Hi BillyJack:welcome:
        I got tired of the old 13 steppers @ AA. Horny old SOB's. I did meet some nice folks, but some of it was a bit much...
        Still have some good friends that go, but not my choice of therapy these days.
        Definately not a good therapy if you feel singled out & harassed.
        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Shitzulover, There are as many AA groups as there are personallities. It is really difficult to find the one that fits you. I am glad you found one where you can be a part of a loving support group. One thing about the AA folks is that they understand where we are coming from. If you listen for just a little while you find yourself thinking - "thats me, thats what I felt" or did, or whatever. The groups as a whole are pushy and sometimes judgemental, but if you don't like the way the meetings are going you can get a coffee pot and start your own. I say good for you!! Just be yourself and if they don't like it move on to another group. Staying here on the threads will also help so don't forget us. You will be getting the best of both worlds and maybe you will learn something to help some of us here.

bear
          What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
          ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

i'm so glad that you found something that is working for you. i remember when i would find one that worked for me and it was like a breathe of fresh air. good for you hon. see even dr. phil says happy happy
            :welcome:

Comment

I've been wondering where you have been lately. This is great news. AA can be a great support if you are lucky enough to find the right group. Many of us here tried but were not as lucky as you. I say if it feels right, go for it. I wish you great success with it. Please keep in touch with us - maybe you can share with us some of your AA experiences - after all, we are all in the same boat. NOT a sinking ship - floating on the rising tide.
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Hi Shitzu-

Thanks for the post. I've tried about 4 AA groups (several at the behest of the state of Arizona) and it wasn't very welcoming and was certainly not forgiving or supportive. They all sounded like the old salts from the navy.... "argggg....get some time on the pond before you come talking to ME about alcohol...aarggggg." And if they weren't going on about who's been sober longer than who, they were relating stories that were so dead-end that it made me feel like I should go back and F-up my life some more before I would be regarded as a true member.

So, it sounds like you've found a group that really embraces the spirit of the program, which is really OK in my book. Maybe I'll go try another group, too, thanks to the inspiration of your experience. Either way, I won't give up this group. What a find this is. MWO should advertise on the bottoms of wine bottles!!

Best,
                d

Comment

Hi Shitzu!

I believe that whatever method one chooses to gain sobriety is down to the individual themselves and if that means that AA is your choice and you are 100% at ease with it then go for it!. Like 12many I found the meetings very hierarchical, and even verging on 'cult' status though AA members may professes otherwise. I'm new to this forum but not to UK AA forums and so I hope you are not offended in any way by my comments concerning AA.
                  We all have to keep an open mind concerning others methods of staying sober but I also found with AA members that either AA was the only way or else you were just kidding yourself. I have many friends who are in AA at the moment and it works for them and if you are prepared to go along that route, you are willing to follow the 12 step program and you have found a group that suits you then you are well on your way to 'recovery'

Just please don't ever quote 'The Big Book' at me!!!!!!!!LOL

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie37 xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hey ShitzuLover,

If you've found a great group, then stick with it, friend! I want you to know that I support you 100% in your endeavor. Please keep us posted on your progress. Many people here at MWO also participate in AA.

A lot of the bad experiences that people have had with AA have been in groups that really don't follow the program in true spirit in which it was created. Some groups also don't follow the rules about how you are supposed to speak in meetings, and some people who should be tending to their own lives try to run other people's programs.

Many of us here have tried AA in one of those groups and have been turned off, but I know quite a few people in recovery who have done it thru AA and have found terrific home groups and swear by the program. They are also very supportive of MY WAY of getting sober. THEY don't particularly like the "bad" groups either!

Good luck!

Kathy

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi shitzulover.
                      I have the greatest respect for AA........it`s just that it doesn`t really appeal to me personally.

Am all for the "whatever it takes" attitude.
                      Am so happy to hear you`ve found a meeting you`re comfortable with.......really hope it works out for you. And please remember that we`re all here for you too.

Much love,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                      X