The sleep thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sleep thread

Even when I was 7 months AF...I still never slept great. Which sucked because even though I was AF I was still a zombie many days. I have tried everything under the sun for sleep....but I thought that maybe putting it out here there just may be a thing or two I could get from it. When I do get good sleep I swear it is the best drug of all. I know that this has come up in the boards before. But some fresh answers would be awesome. On old threads I have tried all that. Some nights something would work others not. On Tues I was up at 1a and thought I was about to come out of my skin. Then Wed was another bad night. Anything would be great. I have tried the yoga, clams, valerian, sleep meds and on and on. So frustrating...and it has a huge effect on my decision to be AF.

The sleep thread

I never knew clams are suppose to make you sleepy! Learn something new every day here.

Have you thought about having your hormone levels checked out? It could be why you aren't sleeping well. Menopause? Early menopause? I know a few women who have gone through the first stages of both and had problems sleeping. They suffered for quite a long time before having their hormones checked out - and whalla!

Do you suffer from anxiety? Could be that as well.

Comment

The sleep thread

Is stress a problem? Anxiety?
      It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

The sleep thread

I swear by the hypno CDs here to help with sleep. Don't know if it is coincidence but I sleep awesome after I use them.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

The sleep thread

hey Karma-
          Huge sympathy here-I've had a lifelong struggle with insomnia. And yes, there have been times when I turned to alcohol in desperation (which we know only puts you out and then wakes you up a few hours later).
          I'm sure you know about all the popular supplements/remedies: Kava Kava, valerian, Calms Forte, Chamomile, Melatonin, 5HTP, GABA plus (with inositol and niacinimide), large doses of calcium w/ magnesium, blah, blah, blah.

And THEN there are the environmental issues/suggestions: don't do anything busy-ish in the room where you sleep - no paying bills, watching tv, going online etc. Make it a "sleep chamber" exclusively (I don't follow this suggestion at all BTW). And wind down before you go to bed - don't watch, read or listen to anything upsetting or over-stimulating. blah, blah, blah. No alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, sugar, blah blah blah. (sadly, I find that even my one beloved cup of morning coffee is problematic)

And THEN there are the "sleep friendly" foods: in the evening eat turkey, bananas, figs, dates, yogurt, milk, tuna, nut butter - they all have tryptophan. blah, blah, blah.

Okay- having said all that. For the last 4 years or so I have been taking a non-narcotic anti-spychotic called seroquel in the smallest dose available - 25 mg, which can be prescribed off-label for sleeping. I have had no side effects at all, my tolerance to it hasn't changed, and I sleep through the night pretty much every night. If I'm really tweaked, I'll take 50 mg. I tried a few sleeping meds - but there were issues with all of them. I know meds are not for everyone, and I would prefer not to use any myself, but the seroquel has been working like a charm and it's a huge relief.

Hope you get lots of ZZZZZZZZ's . Not sleeping is the worst......

Beth

Comment

The sleep thread

Karma, when I was on treatment for Hep C, the meds would keep me up many nights. I was exhausted, sick and couldn't sleep. My doc suggested taking a benedryl a bit before bed. It did the trick most nights.
            Marcie

Comment

The sleep thread

great info Beth! yes, getting good sleep doesn't just happen for many of us..it's a discipline that must be learned. I find that vigorous exercise does the trick for me.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
              X