My story and Introduction to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a lot of people I tried numerous methods in trying to reduce my intake of alcohol, keeping drink diaries etc. etc. which all resulted in failure. After a week-end of total annihilation (which involved many other substances as well) I was left fighting for my sanity in hospital. I had overdone it with the cocktail of recreational drugs and alcohol and, as all to often happens, the doctors treated me like a suicide case because of the excess. After about a month of being dry and recovering from the experience I then went to an appointment made by my doctor to see a psychiatrist at a hospital called Clatterbridge Hospital which was well renowned as a 'place for loon-balls'( as well as a place where you could also pick 'magic mushrooms' on the fields at the back!) The psychiatrist could find nothing 'mentally' wrong with me and gave me the 'all clear'. I already knew this and only wanted help with the reasons why I took things to excess. (It has taken me years to fine tune my 'highly addictive personality' to what it is today!)
    I eventually went for help at an outreach program called the Arc (which was also a methadone clinic) in order to try and combat the drink and drugs. I spoke to a great guy called Colin who was an alcoholic himself and he offered to meet me and take me to my first AA meeting. It was held at St.Catherine's Hospital in Birkenhead (the same place as the Arc). I was sh*t scared! but true to his word he met me outside the gates and sat with me the whole meeting introducing me to a few people he knew( although he knew them all I think!) I got so much out of that first meeting even though I was still bewildered about the big book and the 12 steps and EVERYONE who spoke that night I related to in some way. I came away feeling great and with the feeling inside me that FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME! I kept going back and listening and trying to make new friends but I found this more and more difficult as my paranoia was getting the better of me. I'll never forget the time a lady next to me started to speak and suddenly it was all eye's over this way and I couldn't handle it. But I was stuck in my chair and I couldn't move because if I did everyone would then know I had 'freaked out big-time'. I avoided that lady like the plague the following week!. Even though it was December and the nights were cold and miserable and I was battling my paranoia as well I still kept going back to that meeting; forcing myself at times because I knew these people understood me there. I continued at this meeting (my regular Tue. evening at 7.00) and a few others around the Wirral area. I had no means of transport and no real income apart from my benefit every 2 weeks and most of that went on fares getting me to meetings. I had no help or offers of lifts to any of the meetings and out of the whole 6 months I attended I only shared 3 times; twice in my regular meeting and once at a daytime meeting in Liscard at a church hall. I was still no clearer about the program and how I should go about the 12 steps and getting a sponsor (which is something I didn't feel comfortable with anyway). After 6 (nearly 7 months) of AA I decided I was 'cured' and I was now ready to handle the drink 'head on'........WRONG!.
    Looking back I know I didn't even get past the first step. But I know this was down to the fact that I never really wanted to give up. I was going through the motions for everyone else's sake and not my own. I didn't really want to change or rather I was afraid to change my lifestyle and to be honest I still enjoyed getting high and pissed and being a thorn (as I perceived it) in the side of the 'system'.
    The following years I spent taking the usual 'accepted' street drugs only this time around I was 'chasing' heroin, taking 'e's and GHB (GBH as it is better known) all at the same time. I found myself drinking more than usual, 'super strength' lagers and ciders being a favourite. I was also taking Seroxat for my depression as well and so again the cocktail of drugs and drink were really screwing with my head big time. I stopped the drink/heroin/GHB package deal after My Dad nearly beat the living sh*t out of me after an argument with my mum almost ended in me launching her backwards down the stairs. The seroxat wasn't helping either due to my excess drinking and I bare a few scars today on my wrist and torso when 'calls for help' where being made. Without fail about 4 years ago I ended up back in hospital due to amphetamine poisoning. I finally realised that my heart wasn't going to give me a third chance at messing up so I finally admitted that I needed to kick the drugs in the head. I still couldn't though, even after all I had been through. My drinking was the real problem and at the heart of everything. I couldn't stop binging and every time I had a drink I needed drugs as well mainly 'e's and coke because they prolonged the drinking sessions. Even when my ex-partner and I decided to try for a baby and all through her pregnancy I still couldn't/ didn't want to give up. That's when I started being devious and hiding the drink and ,looking back today, it's probably the time my relationship started to deteriorate.
    Anyway to cut a 'very long story' long I finally 'woke up and smelled the coffee' about 2 weeks into my sobriety. I finally had the strength to look at my life and see what is was doing to those around me I cared for and loved. I realised I had put my partner, at the time, through hell for the last 2 years of our relationship. I was only a drunken baby-sitter to my daughter Jasmine and not the doting father I should of been. And, my family where on the verge of disowning me because my mum was close to a nervous breakdown (my Dad passed away in December 2003 and so my mum was without any real emotional support). I came to the decision on 2nd of June 2007 to give up my lifestyle of drink and drugs for a better one. I decided to take stock of my life and came to the conclusion that AA was not the way forward for me. I've always 'crusaded' through life pretty much a loner in my little bubble of what's right and wrong, so I knew damn well being part of an organisation was not going to do it for me. I had grown up a lot since I first went to AA and I knew I had the courage of my convictions to lead a sober and happy life. I still live by the AA principal of 'one day at a time' and although I am not in AA now I still abide by certain agnostic steps which, at the end of the day, any decent alcoholic would as it is the humane thing to do.

I have recently split from my partner and have had one lapse with the drink since I started to abstain from drink. Alcohol is literally a poison to me and I cannot moderate my drinking which is why I choose to abstain. I am a member of 2 other forums called 'The Unofficial AA UK recovery Forum' and its related forum The Rock We Crawled Out From Under- commonley known as The Rock! (both hosted by Delphiforums). I'm always looking to widen the circle of friends of other like minded people who are in the same situation as myself which is why I chose to join this forum as well.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie37 xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Hi hippie and a warm welcome.

You pretty much seem to have been through the mill, "thanks" to drink and drugs.
    Loved your post!!! Here`s to a sober future for us all.

Wishing you love and strength for continuing your journey.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Welcome Hippie37,
      Thank you for sharing your story.
      There is so much to learn from here and hope that you will find MWO inspiring to your life.
      Dx
      * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

:welcome: Hippie37.

Whew!! Quite a post. As Star says, you've put yourself through quite a bit.

Good for you on your AF time and keep it up.

We are happy to have you with us.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks for that honest and thoughtful post, Hippie. You've come a long way.:goodjob:

Wishing you all the very best....this is a great forum, hope you will find things in it for you.

Suze x
          Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Hippie37, I believe we met last night on another thread ......

:welcome: to MWO ......before I found this site almost a year age I was drinking 24 hours, as soon as hubby went to work at 6am I would sneak a drink and would still be drinking at 2 am after he had gone to bed. Luckily for me I am scared of drugs so I never went down that road ........

Now i drink in the evening 2-3 days a week and never by myself ..........

I am truly sorry for what you have suffered and am so proud of you for the changes that you have made ............

Keep us informed of your progress ....:l :l :l
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Welcome, and bless your heart...you have been to hell and back! Thanks for such honesty, and forthcoming, it helps us all! Hears to keeping on keeping on....Glad you found us, and glad we have you to share with!
              "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to this forum.

Giving up the drugs was easy for me and is no longer and issue. unlike the drink I was more of a user than abuser and as this forum concerns alcohol issues, I'll concentrate on them. I just needed to be honest about my past and where I was coming from and how alcohol not drugs is at the root of my problems.

Love and Happiness
                Hippie37 xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Hey Boop!

Yeah i did remember you from the "...positive thread" seems like you are a regular poster on here!".

I unfortunately cannot moderate my drinking. I'm reading a lot about DNA and genetics at the moment concerning Alcoholism which, if nothing else, keeps me busy and preoccupied!. I notice you are from the UK as well; the other forum I am one is mainly UK based but its nice to get feedback from our friends overseas as well! Hope the Yanks will get my Scouse sense of humour!!

Comment

Welcome Hippie and thanks for being so honest. You will find so much support here.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

:welcome: Hippie.
                      Thanks for the honest post. Nice to meet ya. Looking forward to getting to know ya!
                      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Aye, hippie,
                        I often get a good laugh at how we all speak English, yet there can occasionally be a language "barrier" to overcome. So far I`ve learned to say "y`all" and "dummy spit". lol

And I can`t see what`s so funny about referring to my ciggies as "fags".......can you??:H

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Welcome Hippie,

Thank you for sharing your powerful story.............wow, you have come a long way. I am happy that you have found MWO...it has been a god send to me. I look forward to hearing more from you......"One Day at a Time" is a great code to live by.
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

hippie37;208969 wrote: Hey Boop!

Yeah i did remember you from the "...positive thread" seems like you are a regular poster on here!".

I unfortunately cannot moderate my drinking. I'm reading a lot about DNA and genetics at the moment concerning Alcoholism which, if nothing else, keeps me busy and preoccupied!. I notice you are from the UK as well; the other forum I am one is mainly UK based but its nice to get feedback from our friends overseas as well! Hope the Yanks will get my Scouse sense of humour!!
                            Hey Hippie, where did your original avatar go??? I liked it???

Yep, I'm a regular poster, My name is BB and I'm an MWOoholic .....

The yanks will love you, as the aussies will also ....

I know that you are new and don't know anyone yet but we having a meet up in the UK on the 10th November, you are more than welcome to join us ..

BB xx
                            sigpicXXX

Comment

Glad to have you here Hippie. Thanks for the informative post.
                              I'm sure you will be a valuable member here. Please keep coming back and contributing.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X