Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A drinking problem or a thinking problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ame= ]YouTube - Ferguson Speaks From The Heart[/ame]

Hello one and all!

This link was sent to me about 3 months ago by a good friend of mine, entitled "Craig Ferguson speaks from the heart" - Craig Ferguson speaks on his past problems as an alcoholic and why he will not ridicule Britney Spears and her shaved head crisis. Must watch! It is only 12 minutes long but I so associated with his viewpoint when he said "I don't have a drinking problem...I have a thinking problem".

It would be great to hear some feedback on this matter!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie37 xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Wow.......... thanks for that link Hippie. It brought tears to my eyes.
    I don't know much about Craig Ferguson, but for someone in Hollywood to speak so openly, so honestly, and basically "tell his story" on national television, and clearly for the benefit of others and NOT for his own glorification, well, he gets HUGE respect from me. What a beautiful clip. Thanks again.

Comment

Hippie,

I watched from beginning to end and am glad you posted the link.

Thank you.

He says what we all know, reminds us to be empathetic in regards to the celebs, "money can't fix it," and I agree that being with people who have the same problem that we can talk to and share with is a huge help.

For some it is a number "very close to the beginning of the phone book" and for others it is forums like this.

But we do have to recognize, yes, it is a thinking problem, because we must recognize that thinking our way into another drink/drunk is definitely our own choice and responsibility.

Thanks again.
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Great clip. Thanks for posting that Hippie.

I do prefer here.. to the front of the phone book, but whatever works
        Definately a thinking thing.
        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Thank you for posting this Hippie, very powerful!

He made some great points! Talking with others definitely helps!
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Thinking problem....Thats Awesome and I hadn't really thought of it that way. In retrospect it is clearly a thinking problem. I think about not drinking all the time, and then I drink. I want to not think of the drink!! Thanks for the link!! Tammy

Comment

I watched the whole clip.I too thought it was a very nice and meaningful clip. So much of what he said is SO truthful.

Bill

Comment

I think it's both -- thinking and drinking.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

It is certainly true that when I do not think about it I drink less.

You get what you focus upon.

Comment

It was something I too never quite thought about at all until I saw this clip and it really struck home with me. I realised the problem with me was my whole outlook on life had to radically change and the reasons why I drank had to be addressed, for me, through counseling. I use the term alcoholic quite loosely as I can't think of a better word when I explain to people my situation without having to write a soap opera about it; but i do believe, like Craig it is a thinking problem with me. I gave up drink on the 2nd June this year and lapsed about 3 weeks ago and not because i craved the alcohol but because I wasn't ready to deal with a situation that arose. I fell back into my old way of thinking that burying myself in a bottle of vodka would take the pain away and somehow ease my situation. Getting sober is just the tip of the iceberg and I find this the easy part, but staying sober when life throws us a blow be it below the belt or not is another thing altogether!.

Thanks for all comments posted today!

Love and Happiness
                    Hippie37 xx
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think the mind is a very powerful thing. I believe after the physical addiction has passed, it is all about the mental addiction. That has been my experience thus far anyway.

Thanks for sharing Hippie.

Comment

It is a thinking thing which leads to a physical thing which leads back to a thinking thing.

Comment

Lucky-- exactly!
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Really great clip, thanks.

The front of the phone book didn't do it for me either, but being here does.

He's right, talking about it does help and if I could stop thinking about it, 24/7, it would be my dream come true!

xxx

Comment

lucky;209209 wrote: It is a thinking thing which leads to a physical thing which leads back to a thinking thing.
                              I couldn't of put it better myself lucky!

I have learned to take a step back and take myself out of the equation to give me time to evaluate my course of action before making any rash decisions, that may cause consequences for me to have to deal with later. I've found this to be the case in other areas of my life as wel. I wouldn't have the access rights I do with my daughter for instance.

I used to think about drink too 24/7 from the minute my brain switched on in the mornings. It was all about how I was going to manage my day around the drink i.e. which pubs I could go to while doing the weekly food shopping. how much money I had left afterwards and what was the cheapest strongest super strength cans I could buy so I could get more alcohol down me. It was never ending. It took me about 2 months dry to be finally able to get up in the morning without thinking about the drink constantly. It was a hard slog to get there but the rewards and benefits I see now are unbelievable.

I don't attend AA meetings myself, been there, done it, It doesn't work for me either. The biggest aid I have had in staying sober is forums like this. They work for me!

Love and Happiness
                              Hippie37 xx

Comment

Working...
                              X