Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A drinking problem or a thinking problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing Hippie,
    Strangely enough that clip really triggered me. That is nobody's fault but my own of course. The thing that really stood out for me were his comments about Britney Spears & Anna Nicole Smith, and that brought back a time for me that I was very young and 'in trouble' too. It really brings such pain to my soul to see/hear people in the media visciously attacking people like that. The eager cruelty and spite poured out on such people is just astonishing and there is no regard for their children or families.
    I'm learning that I have to focus on people in places like this to remind myself that there is love and compassion in the world. My 'thinking' problem is to allow those purveyors of evil and hate in the media to wound me. There is a great philosopher, Robert Sardello, whose main teaching is that we must spend more time focusing on the love and good in the world and less time listening to tales of murder, violence, doom, destruction & hate. This sounds simple, but it is a huge committment to make. It is a kind of promise myself to stand up to the fear that others try to pour down our throats.. I could so easily give in to it & drink. Sorry if I ramble, I think this is the key for me to understanding what triggers me. Thank you!
    Love & Gratitude
    XXX

Comment

Evening fickle,

really enjoyed reading your post I know exactly what you mean when you say "My 'thinking' problem is to allow those purveyors of evil and hate in the media to wound me." I saw so many injustices happening around me when I was around the New Age Traveling movement and my way of thinking changed so dramatically over the years. I became very bitter and disolusioned with society and the fact I couldn't change anything for the better. In hindsight I realise I was never gonna change the world fighting for every single cause and injustice. If i was going to change anything, to be honest, I needed to change my own way of thinking first and get myself focused on what mattered. But yeah it did get me down a lot and I drank a hell of a lot to keep the evil wicked society at arms length!!!

Love and Happiness
      Hippie37 xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

awesome clip

Thanks hippie, I got alot out of the clip too, and like this way better than AA but am currently trying to take what I want from them to help me w/ this (if that makes sense ) I am sober today, will maybe (probably )drink this weekend, but will stick by this site and post and go to meetings as needed to help when possible....................

Love to all you fine folks!! :h :l

MA
        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

cowgal;210245 wrote: Thanks hippie, I got alot out of the clip too, and like this way better than AA but am currently trying to take what I want from them to help me w/ this (if that makes sense ) I am sober today, will maybe (probably )drink this weekend, but will stick by this site and post and go to meetings as needed to help when possible....................

Love to all you fine folks!! :h :l

MA
          Morning Cowgal! Yeah I do exactly the same thing as far as AA is concerned. I'm not into the 12 step recovery program and handing my life over to a higher power and getting myself a sponsor etc etc. been there done it and hated every minute of it. AA prays on the weak I think and almost forces them into thinking there is no other way and if you leave AA you are only going to fall by the wayside again. But I do go to some meetings just to keep in touch with people on a face to face level.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie

xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thanks Hippie. I just finished watching the clip. I really like that bloke, he's got it right. It makes me angry though that our society is turning into a place where people ridicule those who are finding it tough. My God, we all land on this strange planet and try really hard to survive it, only to have some who want to knock us down.i.e. the media. I also find it sad that we as Alcoholics feel embarressed about admitting it to the world. Why??? What a great bloke Craig Fergussun is .....to talk honestly about his drinking days and very funny too.

Bella xxx

Comment

just checking in

Hippie,

didn't want to seem rude, but I just got a chance to read your feedback..............busy day at the office (good for a change!!) It is cool that we all have the free will and choice to "CHOOSE" what we do w/ our destiny, instead of being "powerless", I mean I cannot control the universe or anything like that but I agree that this program is much more empowering than AA, (which does pray on weak, people without anything else to hope for )

Take care, love and peace back at ya!!! You are awesome:l

MA
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
              X