Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People DO Give a Damn

Hi guys,

Slightly off the topic of our forum normally, but one that's worth a mention, because as we are all striving to become better people, we love to hear that it's not just those of us that are overcoming addictions that care - it's lots of others, too!

Today in Australia it was "Pink Ribbon Day" - initiative of the Australian Cancer Council to raise funds for Breast Cancer. Well, a friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in volunteering to sell ribbons, pins, teddies etc to raise money.

I stood there proudly at a main train station in Sydney with my little box full of wares, for just two hours, and I have to say it restored my faith in humanity! Yes, of course, lots of people just pushed past on their way, but so many people came forward to put their money into buy something, or just to make a donation.

One guy even came up and said that two of his best friends had just lost their wives to cancer, and put $50 in just as a donation. I was very humbled by what I saw today. There are a lot of good people out there, and I got to meet a lot of them!

I know it's only a small thing. But I came away today feeling good about the population of this city. And that's a good thing!

Gem x
    Free since 26th February 2012

People DO Give a Damn

Gem,
    That's a great thing, thanks for sharing.
    It's so nice to see that people care and reach out to support such a great cause.
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

HG-That just makes me tear up with joy. My mother died of breast cancer. It certainly does restore faith in the world to see the little things like that.
      Thanks for sharing.

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

HG, as the daughter of a breast cancer survivor, Thank You. People like you make the difference
        Hugs
        Mar

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Hello HG,

We have a guy here at work that was diagnosed with Colon cancer. Together the company of only 29 employees raised $663 for him to get back on his feet. I love hearing about how people show some compassion weather they know the person or not.

Thanks for sharing

Buddha27

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Gem, Thanks for doing your part, and for sharing your results. :h
            Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

So nice to read something uplifting! Thanks!

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

That is so lovely, thanks for sharing ..... well done .........
                sigpicXXX

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

I just love hearing great news! Thanks for sharing that! What a wonderful thing.
                  How inspiring as well!:h Thanks HG!:l
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Well done Gem, for giving a couple of hours of your own time to help.
                    A lovely wee tale.........the news is always so full of all the bad in the world.........it`s really comforting to see something of the good.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

good on ya gem!!
                      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Very Nice Gem!!!!

I have never had breast cancer but it does run in my family. I also have "dense breasts" which is a risk so I have to get them checked every 3 months. I have had more biopsies than I can count. I see all the people that care soooo much and give so much support to these patients on all of my checkups at a specialty clinic for breast cancer. I know all the therapy dogs by name, etc. You special volunteers make it a win win for everyone : )

Luvya,

Myheart
                        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                        - George Jackson

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Gem,

Very nice you volunteered.

and even nicer that you shared how generous people are. :thanks:

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Good stuff Gem!!! That was a nice way to spend part of your weekend.
                            Thank you

Comment

People DO Give a Damn

Gem - thank you for selling AND sharing such faith in people...lovely! FMF xx
                              :heart: c: :heart:
                              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                              X