Wealth of knowledge...still not enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny...I have worked as a nurse now for over 15 years. I have seen alot, i have helped people with all kinds of alcohol dependencies whatever it maybe. I've worked ER'S, Psyche unit in Alaska, even worked in a dept that did a procedure called a TIPS(transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt) this is for cirrhosis. I see first hand what the affects of alcohol are yet... I still struggle?? I do believe it is because of my experiences I drink less than I probably could. I have moderated for years..it is just recently that the drinking has lost its glamor and the old more is better came into play!! Is that when we decide it is a problem? No glamor.. or fun... but I still drink. I feel like I am heading in the right direction though, but I thought I would share this with you, I just find it strange...one would think... I wouldn't even want a drink. It just goes to show you what a powerful tool our addicted brains are. Trying to refocus those energies to the positive!! :h

It is such a puzzle to me also.

For years I have been interested in health matters, particuarly alternative medicine- very careful about what I eat, then come the night and I begin to drink like a fish.

For me I think it is a means of escape, that seems worth more than the health consequences at the time.

Comment

Ditto for me on what Marbella says.
      I have seen alcohol wreak havoc on nearly everyone in my family, and I know it can kill (it killed my brother). And though I won't eat white rice or artificial preservatives or non-organic grapes, throughout my adulthood I have poured the poison freely down my throat.
      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Hi Gumby-
        I really love your post. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this myself just now.

My conclusion: vigilance, vigilance, vigilance. No amount of knowledge or even self-knowledge is a guarantee of success. I'd always felt that once I really understood both myself and the alcohol "problem", it, and I, could be "fixed" and safe for good. nope.

picking myself up, dusting myself off, and getting back to the good life-

wonderxx

Comment

Hey everyone,

I've been a member less than a month and each post I read helps me get better. I eat really good and try to take care of myself but drink myself to death.

????????

Buddha27

Comment

Our disease is CUNNING and BAFFLING to even one with the highest IQ. It knows no boundries and it discourages nobody. Our disease is an equal oportunity destroyer.

Bill

Comment

me too

Love this post ....isn't it amazing how our lives can be such total contradicitons? I'm so diligent about the food I put in my body --only whole real foods, no sugar, nothing with artificial additives, etc. but all the rules go out the window where booze is concerned. The other day I was looking for some NA wine. I looked at the label and it was loaded with sugar so I put it back on the shelf. Who am I kidding

LZ

Comment

I think you're right. For me, drinking wasn't fun anymore, it was work. I no longer got that "glow" that I used to get after a couple drinks. I would down the first few fast just to try and feel somewhat normal, and then it seems I would just chase after that good feeling I used to get. But it never came. I would drink until I was shitfaced, go to bed, wake up feeling awful, and immediately start watching the clock until I could start all over again. It just wasn't fun anymore...

Don

Comment

This thread would be so funny--- if it wasn't totally true, that is.

I am also a kind of health-food freak (addict)-- and I avoid all medicines (except the natural stuff of course) ha ha ha and then I laugh myself all the way to the bottle.

What is it that drives us to be so knowledgeable and careful and then throw it all out at night (oh, and in my case, much earlier, but I see you all are so much more disciplined than I).????
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Gumby: I too chased that high, buzz, whatever you want to call it. It became more & more elusive, & I tried to get it w/more & more booze. Probably, in spite of what we know in our minds, our brain chemistry changes w/all that chasing & upping our alcohol intake. It's not about a rational reason to drink.

I must admit that since I've stopped drinking, I haven't felt that high I used to feel (oh so long ago) when I had that first drink. What I feel now is contented & happy. No buzz...just simple comfort in my own skin.

Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

BILLYJACK;213439 wrote: Our disease is CUNNING and BAFFLING to even one with the highest IQ. It knows no boundries and it discourages nobody. Our disease is an equal oportunity destroyer.

Bill
                      I disagree with alcoholism being a disease, totally, Bill! It is not like cancer or diabetes for instance and it has thus never been classed with any medical body as such. We have choices to control our drinking by whatever means we see fit but the same could not be said for cancer etc. 'Alcohol is a disease' is a very typical AA approach to alcoholism and although I believe in ODAAT the fact still remains: Alcoholism is NOT a disease.

Gumby maybe you could offer your viewpoint on this?!!

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I agree, for whatever it is worth, alcoholism is NOT A DISEASE. It is an addiction.

Addictions can be addressed, whether it be by abstinence or moderation, depending on where you and your attitude and physical chemistry are in the addiction.

IT IS NOT A DISEASE, it is an addiction. For some of us that means never ingesting the addictive substance again and for others it means ingesting it in normal quantities, whatever that means.

Some of us could never ingest in "normal" quantities and some of us can. We do, however, have different physioligies (sp?) that affect the addiction.

I agree with the premise. Alcoholism is not a disease, it is, quite simply, an addiction. All of us respond to addictions in different ways.

My usual worthless two cents.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Cindi! Spot on mate!! you found the words I quite couldn't get out!!

Cheers me dears
                          Hippie
                          xx

p.s. hardly 'worthless' now was it them 2 cents!!! Hope you are well and AF!
                          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

"Yes. Alcoholism is a chronic, often progressive disease with symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many other diseases, it has a generally predictable course, has recognized symptoms, and is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors that are being increasingly well defined."
                            Something I found to help with the dilema...personally I don't care. I can tell you this though...I cared for alcoholics in their 20's that had such cirrhosis of the liver that the ammonia levels in their bodies left them completely bed bound, unable to function normal daily activities... incontinent etc.. who died shortly after...So how do we explain that?? What I am saying here is.....wait I forgot...just kidding, is this seems like something that has its degrees. Personally after hanging around this web site the last couple of months...most of us are not in this position. we are on the awareness end. Who's to say why it is that people end up worse off then others. Is there a chemical component, it is known to be genetic or is it environmental...wait was it the chicken or the egg. I tend to think of addiction as a disease, reason being...I have to many loved ones who have fallen victim to it. They have done things that I just don't understand..therefore it must be a disease ...right?? I 'd like to NOT think they are making poor decisions, I like to think they are not thinking that makes it more understandable for my view point. Enough said. To me the bottom line is it doesn't really much matter disease, addiction, weakness, or whatever you want to call it we are in it and trying our bests to overcome IT!!

Comment

I could really get into debate mode about this one Gumby!!!LOL You are right though at the end of the day how we individually perceive alcoholism and how we include that in our own methods of coping with it, well, that is very much a personal choice.

Thanks for your response Gumby! It's 3.00am here in the UK so I am off to bed!

Love and Happiness
                              Hippie
                              xx

Comment

Working...
                              X