Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 mths. sober, yet it`s only just begun......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are so eloquent with your words.................

Since joining MWO the first part of this month, I have felt your strength every day. it is really wonderful to learn more about you.

I truly appreciate your story and your strong conviction. I only hope to follow in your footsteps and,,,,,,, so far so good.

I wish you so much love and happiness, Starlight!

Theresa xoxoxoxo

Comment

Starlight your post has really touched me, I congratulate you on your accomplishment.
      you are a very strong and wise person, I can see from your writing.
      you are a great example to all of us.
      be well
      love and light

Trix
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I really wish for you the peace and true happiness you are seeking... You are so very wise as usual, to look into getting help from your GP... I just love your attitude and as you well know, that is more that 90% of this battle we all have here.. You truely are a bright "Star" in all our worlds.. Thank-You for sharing Hon

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Star, my dear friend

As you and some others around here know, I have been AF for well over two years now, but still need MWO badly. I am still on this journey and still struggling to learn how to adjust and learn to live life without alcohol. It is a huge journey - giving up drinking is the beginning. Now you are moving to the next phase.

I found this post I put up on the Long Term Abs forum in August. I'm not putting up the whole post, but here are some excerpts from it.

[After quitting drinking for a long time] I could not sleep at all for such a long time. I did not know what to do with all those demons I used to use drink to chase away. The anxiety and depression that I suffered from that I just medicated with alcohol. It was a very tough time. Sometimes people think it's easy - all you have to do is just stop drinking. Boy, are they wrong. You sometimes have to confront a whole new reality and for the first time look yourself in the mirror through sober eyes. That can be scary. It was for me.

What I am trying to say is that we drink for many reasons besides just a physical addiction. It is often a psychological need, a self-medication, etc. And just because we are sober doesn't necessarily mean all our problems will just disappear magically. Yes, our lives will be so much better and our futures will be much much brighter. But often our pasts will need some work and healing - pasts that we have never dealt with - that we ony drank away.

Now the new work begins - facing your new sober self in a new world - it is all very different as you will slowly realize. I am so glad you sought the help of your doctor. You will need some help.

It's going to be great. You're the toughest lady I know. Success now may be slower and less dramatic but in many ways much deeper and more meaningful. I hope you are looking forward to this wonderful new part of the journey. I have total faith in you. You'll make it and you'll be a shining star for us the whole way through!

Love,
          Mags
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Hi Star,

Citalopram (Cipromil) is one of the 'Mildest" antidepressants, so don't be too scared of it (have been on it myself). I think it's wonderful that you are looking at both sides of this equation - I was self-medicating my bipolar highs - trying to calm down even for a little while.

depression and drinking so often go hand in hand, and getting control of one can help you get control of both.

Good luck

Cash
            xx
            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Star,
              I am so sorry you are going through this now but I think it is something that all of us will eventually have to go through. My thoughts are with you now and I hope all our love here can make everything easier to bear.
              Yes we all drink for a reason, some for physical addiction or to self medicate like I did.
              The alcohol deadened my anxiety & depression (or so I thought).
              Star I have learnt alot from you, with your courage & strength and I know you will use all that courage & strength to get through this.
              I will bear this in mind when it becomes my turn as I am still on a high for lasting 6 days. Small steps I know but if we didn't have people like you to follow, where would we be?
              Take Care
              Much Love
              Shas
              Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Star

:new: But have read a lot of inspirational things and advice from fellow MWO members

Take heart we are all behind you with our love and support

:h Sweetpea:h
                :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

Take care S - you have come so far and we are real proud of you.

I believe investigationg Buddhism is a bit like quitting the booze - you somehow just "know" when you have to go there.

If I can be of any help in your journey - you know I'm here.

Lots of love. :l

Satori
                  xxx
                  "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Starlight,
                    I believe I've been depressed my whole life, also believe it's hereditary. Went on AD about 10 years ago and I never felt better, more confident, more ready to face life, stupidly I went off them and then a few years later starting drinking every night. Three days ago I stopped drinking and restarted the AD's. DO whatever it takes to get YOU to where you need to be! Good luck.

Comment

:l
                      Enough is enough

Comment

Starlight Impress;214152 wrote: ........I never managed to move beyond the feelings of joy at becoming AF. I now fully appreciate, that for me anyway, becoming sober has merely been the tip of the ice berg. I successfully swam against the frenzied current that was my dependency and now I have come to realize that I must ride the waves.
                        Starlight:

You know I wrote about those very things so many times in the past. "Riding the waves" really sums up this process in so many ways.

And yes, the core reasons must be addressed for long term success. Something has to fill the void for the short term, but longer term, I found that finding why the void is there in the first place is essential.

Glad to see you are still in there, fighting the good fight.

Neil

Comment

Star,sorry to catch post late....sending you lots of love...i think everyone has already given you lots of wise words....so i will just send some more lovexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,see hon that was lots....will look for you in chat very soon
                          Take care cause I care
                          Jacqui
                          Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Working...
                          X