In the news today near me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A man told police he couldn’t help himself when he took seven bottles of a spiked lemonade drink from the shelf at a Wal-Mart Supercenter and drank them in the liquor aisle.

Police Chief Fred Winchowky said the 43-year-old town of Eagle man claimed he was a recovering alcoholic and had been dry for 16 months before he went to the store Oct. 14 with his wife, who was not aware of what he was doing.

“He went down that aisle and he said ’I just couldn’t control myself,“’ Winchowky said. “He stated he was upset he broke his 16-month streak and he didn’t know how he was going to tell his wife.”

The chief said security video caught the man drinking the 12-ounce bottles of Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade over a 15-minute period. He placed the empty bottles back on the shelf.

Confronted by a store official, he first denied it but smelled of intoxicants, Winchowky said.

The man was cited for retail theft.
    Marcie

Sorry, can't help but laugh at, yet pity the poor guy. Must of been pretty 'surreal' for him to have snapped like that after 16 months.

Comment

I don't know if it is sad or stupid or funny. But I had to laugh as well AFM.
      Marcie

Comment

After 16 months he slammed 7 bottles in 15 minutes?! I'm surprised he didn't pass out!

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical of his "sober time"... Doing something like that... all of a sudden.

Who knows?

Almost sounds more like a hang-over desperation act...?
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Talk about desperate!
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

'Sobering' isn't it!!
              :heart: c: :heart:
              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

When you think of the great pains most of us have gone to to get our hands on booze when there was none readily available, I bet most of us can relate to this incident. Alcoholism makes us desperate for our fix and often we had to resort to desperate measures to get that fix......so sad really.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Oh dear- I have never done that happily, but I can understand somebody doing it.

I hope one day he has enough AF time under his belt to be able to laugh at it.

Comment

I don't know how he could drink 7 bottles in 15 minutes and still be walking if he hadn't drank in 16 months! Heck, I think anyone would have a hard time drinking that much that fast of anything much less alcohol!
                    Marcie

Comment

7 bottles in 15 minutes!!! wow, 15 minutes after that he must have been smashed!

He didn't just fall off the wagon, he did a 3 star triple somersaut with a pike, and probably crash landed hard....
                      :thanks: :h

Comment

I think he must have already fallen a few days before, and it was a hangover emergency thing.

That is the only plausible reason!

Comment

I think it's sad, just to snap like that. In a Walmart of all places. We know no one ever sees you in a Walmart. Just the 1000 or so that are in there at any given moment. I just feel pity for him. I have been desperate for a drink( lying and making up excuses for it) so I can identify with him. Just goes to show that no matter how strong we come come we can still fall into the clutches of the alcoholic monster.
                          Mar

Comment

Working...
                          X